What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There's the SP-101, on left.

20200904_092319.jpg

Thanks, but how far is always the question! People next to me shot at 3 yards (all over)! I typically shoot pistols at 50 feet. The trigger is fantastic on that Model 10 and despite fixed sights I consider it a target pistol, it's that sweet.

AA

50' is a hell of a distance for pistol shooting!!
I always practice at 30', not sure I would hit much at 50.
I know what you mean though. There was guy there when I went shooting at about 10-12' and his groups looked worse than mine. Some are much worse.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
15 yards is a pretty average distance. I greatly prefer the outdoor range and shoot 50-100 yards, though generally from a rest. The 45 ACP hang time at 120 yards is good for a laugh! And if Elmer Keith was here ... He'd assure us work can be done at hundreds of yards.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
15 yards is a pretty average distance. I greatly prefer the outdoor range and shoot 50-100 yards, though generally from a rest. The 45 ACP hang time at 120 yards is good for a laugh! And if Elmer Keith was here ... He'd assure us work can be done at hundreds of yards.

AA

Yup, Elmer is famous for making a 600 yd. shot on a bolder with a 4 in. S&W M 29.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Yup, Elmer is famous for making a 600 yd. shot on a bolder with a 4 in. S&W M 29.
Not 600 yards (well maybe it was) but when I shooting at 1000 an old man pulled up to the 4MOA lane (200 to 800 yards) and pulled out what looked like a long slide 1911 so I HAD to stop and watch. He plopped down at the bench, took aim, and BOOM!!!... Ding. All I could think was "We should be friends!" Not sure what he was aiming at but I was impressed!!!

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout!

Tom, have you checked the cylinder throats on that Ruger?

I had a GS ream both my Ruger Bisley convertible's .45 ACP and .45 Colt cylinder to perfect .452. The stainless convertibles had a known issue- they were making the bullet smaller than the barrel diameter! Wicked leading.

AA

No, I’ll check it out. I’m shooting .452 LSWC heads.

Thanks,

Tom

nikonNUT

Went out with the DTAC fire lapping set-up and I’ll be darned if they don’t shoot pretty well! Don’t shoot groups they say... Screw that! Imma work on trigger control and loading the bipod I say. Result? .71MOA groups
With a starting load for bullets I don’t recognize. 250gr something (I guess Sierra) over 97.3gr of Ramshot LRT. And the work they do is pretty dang impressive! The throat looks MUCH better already!!!

Went out with the DTAC fire lapping set-up and I’ll be darned if they don’t shoot pretty well! Don’t shoot groups they say... Screw that! Imma work on trigger control and loading the bipod I say. Result? .71MOA groups
With a starting load for bullets I don’t recognize. 250gr something (I guess Sierra) over 97.3gr of Ramshot LRT. And the work they do is pretty dang impressive! The throat looks MUCH better already!!!
I fire lap all my long guns. I swear by it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
took care of my yearly qualification with my .40 G23 service pistol today. Cold front came in, it was rainy, windy and cold at 40 degrees. Just like real life. :)

Due to Covid and other things like the lack of availability for ammo, I haven't shot a round from any kind of firearm, since my last Qual in October of 19' so it's been a year. A very long year.

My wife has shot more than I have, putting a hundred rounds thru her G43 and about 80 rounds thru the Colt M4 a couple of months back.

here is a pic of an unofficial timed, qualification with my G19 9mm. This was just a practice qualification under time, just to warm up and shake off the rust from these old bones after a year of not shooting.

This unofficial warm up, was shot from the 50 to the 25 yard line instead of the second, timed official qualification from the 25 yd line to the 3 yd line I also shot with my .40 G23.

I won't post that one, being official and all. :)

qualify.jpg

Shot a 96/100 pulling one shot a little far to the left when I was shooting left side barricade at the 50 yd line. Grouping was a little loose from being cold and windy and not shooting for a year, but "no excuses" is my motto. I did get lucky and hit the circle head shot at the 25 yd line, which is usually done from the 5 yd line. :)

It felt really good just to be shooting again after a year. I think the warm up really helped alot. I aced my official Qual with the G23. So until next year, or ammo becomes easier to come by, which ever comes first. :)

took care of my yearly qualification with my .40 G23 service pistol today. Cold front came in, it was rainy, windy and cold at 40 degrees. Just like real life. :)

Due to Covid and other things like the lack of availability for ammo, I haven't shot a round from any kind of firearm, since my last Qual in October of 19' so it's been a year. A very long year.

My wife has shot more than I have, putting a hundred rounds thru her G43 and about 80 rounds thru the Colt M4 a couple of months back.

here is a pic of an unofficial timed, qualification with my G19 9mm. This was just a practice qualification under time, just to warm up and shake off the rust from these old bones after a year of not shooting.

This unofficial warm up, was shot from the 50 to the 25 yard line instead of the second, timed official qualification from the 25 yd line to the 3 yd line I also shot with my .40 G23.

I won't post that one, being official and all. :)

View attachment 1173620

Shot a 96/100 pulling one shot a little far to the left when I was shooting left side barricade at the 50 yd line. Grouping was a little loose from being cold and windy and not shooting for a year, but "no excuses" is my motto. I did get lucky and hit the circle head shot at the 25 yd line, which is usually done from the 5 yd line. :)

It felt really good just to be shooting again after a year. I think the warm up really helped alot. I aced my official Qual with the G23. So until next year, or ammo becomes easier to come by, which ever comes first. :)

Nice damn shooting!

nikonNUT

And done. Saw a .5MOA group from the last round. Time for a clean up and pics of the before and after. BTW... Pro tip, if you want carbon out of a barrel fast CLR is your chemical. DO NOT try this on carbon steel! For obvious reasons.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Plate match yesterday for our weekly Range Officers match, shot my 6in. S&W 686 loaded with 125 gr .38 Spl. handloads. Placed 4th, mediocre performance on my part. Speed wins, but speed also kills! I'm running low on projectiles, may have to switch to my Ruger SP101 in .32 H&R or .327 for the next match.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Back from a function check for the 1949 Remington 241 after its Spa Day and pleased to report it ran flawlessly. Tried three different ammos, two from Remington and one Federal and there were not failure to feeds, failure to fire or failure to ejects. And even kept my arm out of the way so no bottom ejection branding. I can't believe it took me so long to get this one out and back functioning.

Top Bottom