What's new

Ageing without hoarding

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Anchor? I didn't see an anchor?

Nope, not getting a toppling pipe. In my list of things that were right, I did specify "right way up" :D

Anchor? I didn't see an anchor?

Open the picture, then zoom in on the stem just a couple mm from the shank. Full shot, it looks like a scratch on the stem.

Screenshot_20201006-174439_Chrome.jpg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, it might be a couple more days before the new pipe arrives, but I have a bursting urge to talk about it :D

Here's the process of how I got there...

As you know, I was very unhappy with my "fall over" pipes, and two in particular were tormenting me. I really, really, really wanted to like these two pipes...

IMG_20200611_162912_edit1.jpg

IMG_20200611_162912_edit.jpg

... but they didn't sit. When I tried (temporarily) modifying them so they did, I still wasn't happy. It felt like a compromise (which of course it was). I ended up in the horrible position of liking those pipes, but being extremely irritated with them when I smoked them, just because I couldn't put them down without faffing around with a stand.

The hunt was on for sitter replacements.

To be continued...

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Salvation came for the Bent Bulldog in the form of the pipe I got myself for my birthday (which is in three weeks, so it's bundled away till then). The Dr Plumb Bermuda answered the call perfectly. A Bulldog which sits on command.

IMG_20200917_123057_edit.jpg

This started freeing up my mind to part with all the topplers that were tormenting me. The MM hardwood pipes were scrapped off, and the rest of my non-sitters were deemed up for sale.

A kind chap from across the puddle rescued them from me (or me from them, whichever), and the proceeds secured a second Bully in the form of a Falcon Extra with Hunter bowl.

IMG_20201002_122808.jpg

This was a closer replacement to the other bent bully, due to the smaller bowl. The Plumb Bermuda being earmarked as my large bowl for Virginias, and the smaller Falcon as my small aromatic pipe.

Progress was being made, and my smile was returning...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The Zulu still needed replacing. I could have got a Dublin or Algiers bowl for the Falcon, but that didn't look like it would scratch the itch. It just didn't have the same ethos to it. I wanted some kind of Bent Dublin, or Zulu, or Horn... but it had to sit... just like the Plumb Bermuda did.

I wonder... 🤔

Was there a Plumb Bermuda in Zulu/Dublin form? Theoretically, yes, but I couldn't find a seller. I could however find one with a different branding, from another company under the same umbrella. Comoys.

4007-5660_comoy_bermuda.jpg

The Comoy Bermuda looked perfect. All apart from the price tag. The sellers who had these wanted £90 ($120 USD). Way too much! The Plumb Bermuda, which to me has the more attractive partial pebble grain, was only £40. Paying 225% that price for something smooth grained, albeit nicely grained, wasn't even remotely justifyable for me. I would have probably stretched from my standard £25 cap to £35 for that pipe, but no more.

Then I saw it... The ONE!!!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Did you catch the reference in the vid clip?

Tortuga!!!

SAV528(2).JPG

Savinelli Rusticated Tortuga 305 to be precise.

Available delivered to my door for over £20 less than the Comoy Bermuda, I just had to have it! It has the right swooping curves, a 3/4 sized bowl (I consider a Dia. 20mm x 40mm deep a full bowl, and a Dia. 16mm x 30mm deep a half bowl), and looks to my eyes, infinitely better than the Comoy.

SAV528(3).JPG

Partial rustication is something I have a real soft spot for, and the fitted fireproof lid so I can pocket carry it part-smoked was the clincher. I don't mind saying that the tortoise shell acrylic stem that gives it its name (tortuga is Spanish for tortoise), bowled me over too

Shape, looks, bowl, size, reputable maker, filtration (6mm balsa), finish... all perfect, and of course, it sits! The reason it sits, and the reason I found it, was a lucky find when searching for Bermuda pipes. ONE seller had the Tortuga listed as a Bermuda pipe, which of course comes from the triangular stem

305_11.jpg

(pic purloined from someone's online review)

This was the first pipe I'd seen listed anywhere, which I would be happy paying "full price" for, and still feel like I got value for money.

Needless to say, I am VERY excited to receive this!

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I'm sure you've seen my Savinelli 606 from the Tortuga line, they are beautiful pipes. Very happy for you Al! Enjoy it!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Before settling on the KS320, I was ogling this on the Savinelli page. A fine choice.

I confess I had seen this line of pipes before, but not the fact that this one sits. Again confirming that UK vendors are missing out on selling me stuff, by not making it abundantly clear whether a pipe sits or not. Thankfully, it won't matter to me now, as my pipe array already covers everything I now want.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
She doesn't sit, but smokes excellent. One of my English blend pipes.
View attachment 1165376

Nice one! That just helps reassure me I've done the right thing :D

I know my choice isn't a high end pipe, but for me, it's quite an extravagant purchase. After finding it, I did a little looking around and found a Grezza (Series III I think you call them) version. With shipping, that would have cost me about 2/3 of what the Tortuga version would. I had half promised myself that I would get myself a "nice" pipe at some point anyway, so this was two birds with one stone. I'll now have my "going out" pipe.

In fact, it's actually saved me money again. I had a plan of going to the coast when all this Covid fiasco is over, as that's where one of my online tobacconists has a couple of stores. A few days away, and chance to look over pipes in person, and get the sales bod to pop them on the counter, and show me if they sit. Their prices instore are higher than online, so by my reckoning, I'm saving money again :p

Before any of you say "do that anyway" :lol: I've no need. My purchases are working! By that I mean that what I've bought has made other stuff for sale seem less appealing. That happens for me a lot. As an example, any sitting Bulldogs I see now look far less appealing, as that box is already ticked. This pipe should do the same with Dublin/Zulus, the Lightweight Reader does it with barrels and tankards, and so on. Pokers, panels and table pipes (Pete 304 type), are all satisfied too. That happens to me with buying anything. If I already own something I'm happy with, that ticks the same box, I'm far less tempted to spend.

That's how I really knew the Parker Bent Bully and Zulu weren't the right pipes for me... I kept looking.

Actually, this pipe might tick THREE boxes. My Dublin, my going out pipe, and my smaller bowled Lakeland pipe. I think aromatic Lakelands would be a good choice for smoking around non-smoker friends. As this cost less than three £25 pipes, I'm again saving money (and space) 🤣

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Nice one! That just helps reassure me I've done the right thing :D

I know my choice isn't a high end pipe, but for me, it's quite an extravagant purchase. After finding it, I did a little looking around and found a Grezza (Series III I think you call them) version. With shipping, that would have cost me about 2/3 of what the Tortuga version would. I had half promised myself that I would get myself a "nice" pipe at some point anyway, so this was two birds with one stone. I'll now have my "going out" pipe.

In fact, it's actually saved me money again. I had a plan of going to the coast when all this Covid fiasco is over, as that's where one of my online tobacconists has a couple of stores. A few days away, and chance to look over pipes in person, and get the sales bod to pop them on the counter, and show me if they sit. Their prices instore are higher than online, so by my reckoning, I'm saving money again :p

Before any of you say "do that anyway" :lol: I've no need. My purchases are working! By that I mean that what I've bought has made other stuff for sale seem less appealing. That happens for me a lot. As an example, any sitting Bulldogs I see now look far less appealing, as that box is already ticked. This pipe should do the same with Dublin/Zulus, the Lightweight Reader does it with barrels and tankards, and so on. Pokers, panels and table pipes (Pete 304 type), are all satisfied too. That happens to me with buying anything. If I already own something I'm happy with, that ticks the same box, I'm far less tempted to spend.

That's how I really knew the Parker Bent Bully and Zulu weren't the right pipes for me... I kept looking.

Actually, this pipe might tick THREE boxes. My Dublin, my going out pipe, and my smaller bowled Lakeland pipe. I think aromatic Lakelands would be a good choice for smoking around non-smoker friends. As this cost less than three £25 pipes, I'm again saving money (and space) 🤣
Listen to you justifying your purchases, you sound like us already...now all you need is a disapproving SO to explain all that to. 😜

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That happens to me with buying anything. If I already own something I'm happy with, that ticks the same box, I'm far less tempted to spend.

I didn't mention earlier, but this is what helps me to avoid hoarding tobacco too. I already have something from each blend family that I'm happy with. For example, I can't bring myself to buy a tin of Deluxe Navy Rolls, because I already have have four tins of tobacco with Perique in that I know I like (plus a couple of others I haven't tried yet). I know that might sound completely alien to most of you.

If I hadn't tried any of the ones in the drawer, I'd quite possibly still be itching for some, as there would be a niggling doubt in my mind. Having some in the drawer that's known to be liked (not a huge amount, just some), is enough to keep the hunger for more at bay. The only thing I'm "low" on, is Lakelands. The ones I like tend to be sold more in bulk or pouched than tinned, and I'm not that well armed with jars yet. All I have is one pouch of Condor Long Cut. However, as I'm so well stocked on Virginias, VaPers, VaBurs, English, and Aromatics, that can wait a while.

Samples, in a way, have been my undoing in terms of discipline, as like cobs, they don't count :tongue_sm

Top Bottom