What's new

How much is too much?

Having heard that some are buying a box of 9mm ammo for upwards of $50, I am wondering if $20 is too much to pay. Sig has some JHP for $20. When I bought my P365, the guy "gave" me some holdback ammo FMJ for $12. He refused to sell me any more.

So, how much is too much, for you? What is your max price for 9mm ammo?

Well. I have reserves. About $12 was fair market. Personally, I wouldn’t balk at $20, if I needed to shoot, but I would reduce my range visits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I paid almost $20 a box for 6 boxes but it was worth it to me as my wife purchased a new gun and wanted to shoot. We may go for our 1st outing with the new Kimber this weekend.

Just bought a box (50) of 10mm for $23.00 yesterday.
Bought 1,000 rounds of 9mm earlier this year for around $200.00

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I paid almost $20 a box for 6 boxes but it was worth it to me as my wife purchased a new gun and wanted to shoot. We may go for our 1st outing with the new Kimber this weekend.

I hope you report back on how it went with pics. Depending on how it goes, I am thinking about getting my wife the Micro 9.

She has been eyeing the Sig 938 for some time, because she likes the way a 1911 looks, She just doesn’t seem interested in putting in the extra training and dedication it would take to carry cocked and locked.

I think the Micro 9 is the better deal then a 938 right now and if it doesn’t work out for her, then I have my first and very own 1911.

If I needed to qualify or needed ammo to load up a gun for protection, I would pay 20 bucks for a box of 50 rounds. Beyond that, I wouldn't buy it.

I hope you report back on how it went with pics. Depending on how it goes, I am thinking about getting my wife the Micro 9.

She has been eyeing the Sig 938 for some time, because she likes the way a 1911 looks, She just doesn’t seem interested in putting in the extra training and dedication it would take to carry cocked and locked.

I think the Micro 9 is the better deal then a 938 right now and if it doesn’t work out for her, then I have my first and very own 1911.
Too bad you live half way across the state. I’d let you borrow my 938 so she could try it out.

B868A308-F2B0-4FC6-A21D-81C597D8A626.jpeg
7F673F24-C1B4-48DC-967E-06477DA6D453.jpeg

Not a bad pistol by any means, but there are some that are better on a number of points.

For hollow points $20 for 20-25 rounds, is a good price for defensive ammo. If you have none, jump on it and get yourself 3 boxes minimum.

For ball practice ammo, if you have none and need to get the feel for shooting a new gun, then you have to come to terms with paying the cost of entry to shoot in the current environment.

I picked up a gun last week and inquired about ammo availability and cost for 9mm as I have read of some insane stuff here on B&B. They told me that $38.99 for a box of 50 FMJ 115RN was the best price in town. To me, that is insane! But, if you are just now entering the gun market and have a new gun, you made the choice to get into it now instead of 9 months ago. If $50 a box is the going rate, you will decide to pony up or wait it out.

I would hold out if you feel the market will correct itself in the coming months. $8.99 was the last normal price I recall seeing it at this year. This was getting close to a price point I would buy it instead of reloading it. But that ship has sailed, and an hour at my reloading bench these days is almost as good as an hour printing money. To the tune of $440 and hour.😎😁

If you are using ammo for target practice, use the least expensive FMJ ammo available. Ammo designed for self-defense can be considerably more expensive. However, the appropriate question to ask in that case is not "how much is too expensive" but "how much is my life worth?"

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Last time I was in BassPro is saw Fiocchi 9mm for 12.99. If I needed it I would have though that a deal. A friend in Florida tells me FMJ is going for $45.00/box. That would be a hard pass. My LGS is selling S&B for $18.99 and that’s about my limit. My pistol cuttings have slowed considerably.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
For hollow points $20 for 20-25 rounds, is a good price for defensive ammo. If you have none, jump on it and get yourself 3 boxes minimum.

For ball practice ammo, if you have none and need to get the feel for shooting a new gun, then you have to come to terms with paying the cost of entry to shoot in the current environment.

I picked up a gun last week and inquired about ammo availability and cost for 9mm as I have read of some insane stuff here on B&B. They told me that $38.99 for a box of 50 FMJ 115RN was the best price in town. To me, that is insane! But, if you are just now entering the gun market and have a new gun, you made the choice to get into it now instead of 9 months ago. If $50 a box is the going rate, you will decide to pony up or wait it out.

I would hold out if you feel the market will correct itself in the coming months. $8.99 was the last normal price I recall seeing it at this year. This was getting close to a price point I would buy it instead of reloading it. But that ship has sailed, and an hour at my reloading bench these days is almost as good as an hour printing money. To the tune of $440 and hour.😎😁

Tumbling and decapping brass today ... Think I'll shoot ammo I haven't made yet on Friday. :letterk1::kyle1:

AA

A friend went to a gun show a couple of days ago. He said they had plenty of ammo in 9mm, but the price was $35-$40/box of 50. No negotiating. If you don't want to pay that much, step aside, because the next guy in line will.

The guy at the gun show predicted July 2021 until things get back to "normal".

We are looking for ammo. I just got a Sig P365 and DW just got a S&W MP EZ 9mm. We are new pistol owners and only have 100 rounds of FMJ between us. We can't even get into a training class without 150 rounds each.

I have cut down practice to the tune of none. I’m not burning through my practice ammo. I have a decent amount, but not a ton. I’ll go to the range once this winter and run through all my pistols with 100 rounds each but probably not more. I know it’s bad not to practice monthly, but I’m not paying for ammo at these outrageous prices. I’ve got lots of hobbies.

I do have a mountain of 22 ammo. I can always shoot them up for fun.

While I think thats a ridiculous price to pay, I've been into firearms for 15 years and knew this would come early in the year. I learned a lot in the 2013 shortage from the school shooting so in the following years I built my inventory. Best advice I can give you is learn from this, and apply some of your finances to build your inventory in the future. Try to get some .22 and use that to practice with, or if that's a problem get a good quality bb gun. I don't think pointing fingers is productive, though the price you have to pay is directly influenced by new owners such as you, times millions. Unfortunately, like any product whether it's ammo or flour, has its productive limitations.

In short, learn and adjust for the next mad rush...it's inevitable.

PS I see your retired military, me too. Most of my inventory was when I was AD...retired 4 years ago.

The best use I have found for the 938 is a 22 plinker with the 22lr conversion kit. Now that is a fun little thing. Works better than a Ruger or Walther and is more accurate. That conversion saved it for me.

Got an email from Selway ammo this morning, coupon for CCI 9mm, brass case for $13 box, limit 4. Put it in cart and shows as $1000/box until coupon is applied, then out of stock. Guess I slept too late.

Top Bottom