What's new

switch to smart watch?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I THINK it was George Carlin...?...

I don’t understand golf. Take away the ball, it’d be walking.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My daily watch face:
3E020C03-2E31-4A60-A429-A8128A58F34F.png

A whole mess of information at a glance.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Series 5
They have many faces now and many ways to customize them. This set up works well for me.
Thanks. I was curious the name of the watch face. I looked after I saw your post and couldn’t find one that put the time in the middle of the screen like that.

This will be a two-sided problem
But please believe me, if you have "battery percentage phobia" (because of the anxiety of no battery),
please do not wear a smart watch

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Once every 2 days I do a full charge. While some users do a partial charge a couple times per day. For instance while you shower/bathe - if you don’t wear your smart watch while in the bath put it on the charge. Like I do. Or for a half or or so in the morning while you relax with your morning coffee....charge it., like I do.

Battery isn’t much of an issue any more.

Here’s a video where the guy breaks down the latest Apple Watch. If you know this YouTuber you’ll know he is not biased. He does reviews on every thing tech. One of the best.

IMO, if you have an Apple iPhone - get an Apple Watch, it only makes sense. If you have an Android Phone, get an Android Watch. It only makes sense!

If you are that much concerned about looking manly or worried the smart watch wont look professional just get a really nice dumb watch to wear in those situations where you think a Smart Watch isn’t ideal. Ya know...the best part about watches is they do actually come off your wrist. Who says if you own a 400 dollar smart watch you can’t also own a 400 dumb watch?

Mucking around town with the boys - wear the smart watch. Closing a million dollar sale..wear the dumb watch.

A smart watch should be in the same classification as the expensive dumb watches these days. They are accessories for your wardrobe. You pick a watch to match your mood or style for the day or hour.

They can change!!

Legion

Staff member
Yeah, nah. I'll give them a miss. I already have my phone with me that does all the "smart" stuff I need. And I don't like the look of them at all.

Dumb watch for me.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Thanks. I was curious the name of the watch face. I looked after I saw your post and couldn’t find one that put the time in the middle of the screen like that.
It’s an “Infograph”
Attached are 2 photos
1st is how it comes with the watch
2nd is customized by me

6AF09C6F-8E48-4F87-920F-751E0974D0F8.jpeg
00E5D923-A23A-490A-94D3-F3CA2493134C.jpeg

I have a GPS-enabled watch (Garmin Instinct) for hiking, kayaking, etc. It's great for that. It does allow you to receive text messages and the like, but I turned all those features off. Whatever the price of an Apple or Samsung watch, I'd rather put that money towards my watch fund. I love my mechanical watches.

I’m a bit old fashioned. I just can’t get past the plastic look to smart watches. Give me an old fashioned gold or stainless cased watch with a sweep second hand and some sparkly hour markers. And don’t forget the matching metal wrist band.

While most of my watches are mechanical watches (some self-winding, some requiring manual winding) I have been drifting towards just normal plain plain quartz watches. They are cheap to buy and they do not require any other kind than a rare battery change (that I do myself). They also have easy to read arrows allowing me to tell the time without pressing any button, even when the ambient lightning is poor.

My wife got a smart watch and she often needs to charge the battery and the display is more difficult to read. Also my simple quartz watches costed a fraction of what it costed. Most of the time she is just using it for telling the time, so nothing more than what a normal quartz watch would do.

Is it worth? Not if you ask me.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have an Omega for dress occasions (which are few and far between these days), and a Samsung Active2 Golf Edition for everyday wear.

I had been looking at smart watches for a year and my golf gps crapping out on me was the impetus to make the purchase. I put my FitBit in a drawer - although I do miss the 6 day charge (the watch is pretty much every day on the charger).

My son got the fancier version, but this one does everything I need and it was around $350. I like all the watch face choices. I experimented for a while with digital faces with lots of information at the ready, but ended up with a very classy traditional watch face with the date. When I lift my wrist I get a second hand and month and day - but it seems like if you don't know what month you're in you need more than a watch. Anyway, lots of choices.

I am still very happy with my purchase.

I understand what folks are saying about the looks. I want something that looks fairly conventional and my impression is they have come along pretty far in that direction--depending on the model, of course. That is certainly one of the reasons I have held off.

I am not too concerned about charging. I have to charge my phone and Fitbit now, and for that matter, my earphones, I can probably keep the watch charged up. As others have said, I will still have my cell phone and all of the features it has, including a clock, in case the watch dies.

My general impression is that these days lots of folks are wearing Apple watches, at least, with suits. I tend to dress pretty well in more formal settings. I doubt that a smart watch is going to break the spell. :) I suppose a mere Fitbit might. I do not plan on getting rid of my conventional watches. Also, I have been wearing a Vostok supposed diving watch pretty much constantly everywhere for a couple of years now. I am sure that when I first got it I had in mind wearing it for casual things, and dressy watches when I was, say, wearing suit. But I have never ended up bothering changing up. Because a smart watch has business related functions, I doubt whether all that many folks are going to look askance at one for wearing one with a suit, even in the boardroom or when closing a large deal, particularly if it looks fairly conservative. I am not suggesting wearing an orange silicon band or wearing anything very oversized or clearly dedicated to some specialized sport.

My impression, now clearer than when I posed the questions, is that folks that get one generally really like them and find them useful, and almost never turn back. If they all looked really bad I would be worried about those last for words!

I don’t understand golf. Take away the ball, it’d be walking.
As "they say," golf is a good walk spoiled." I do not understand golf either. I do find it addictive. And ridiculously difficult and frustrating for a casual pass time. If I were an avid golfer, I would probably be a lot better golfer than I am. I also find that I do not think about the many things there are to worry about in anyone's life while on a golf course. And one can drink and smoke cigars while playing, and chat with whoever one is playing with.

I suppose in theory business is also done on a golf course. And there is the theory that the way a person plays golf is highly revealing of one's character, so playing golf with someone can provide useful information about someone you might want to do business with or become friends with. A gentlemanly pursuit, if you will. :)

ive wanted to do it, but cant justify it.

Here are my takes, and correct me if I am wrong.

I look at the apple watch in stainless. Now, considering it is an Apple product, I expect it to brick at some point. The watch is $800 and change right now. Who knows if it will hold up seven years from now, or if there will still be support for that model. I was talking with a friend who stated "yeah, even if the support isnt there it will still tell time" But will it?

Ive also seen various threads where the glue gives way and the faces pop off etc. Again, if it is old enough will there be parts to support a rebuild?

I get that mechanical watches have the same kind of issues. My Omega was just serviced, which i do every five years, at a cost of $500. So basically almost the price of the apple watch. But the parts are there, and it will always function without needing firmware updates.

Don't bother with the stainless steel model. I did that at the beginning, but I can't see where it's worth the premiujm you pay for it. Just go with the base model aluminum sport watch, color of your choice, and get a nice band to install on it from Amazon. My aluminum case watches have looked as good after two years as the stainless steel model. With the upgrades that are being offered with each new model introduced, you may choose to update in the future. I replaced my Rolex with one and have had a total of three Apple watches.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Don't bother with the stainless steel model. I did that at the beginning, but I can't see where it's worth the premiujm you pay for it. Just go with the base model aluminum sport watch, color of your choice, and get a nice band to install on it from Amazon. My aluminum case watches have looked as good after two years as the stainless steel model. With the upgrades that are being offered with each new model introduced, you may choose to update in the future. I replaced my Rolex with one and have had a total of three Apple watches.

The only reason i would go with the stainless is for the weight of the watch. I like to feel a watch on my wrist. I have held the aluminum model and its light as a feather. I did get to hold the stainless yesterday, and it had a good amount of heft compared to the aluminium.

Top Bottom