What's new

Should I try blades in any particular order?

Which blade should I start using first?

• Total voters
Hi, I am new here. I currently use Edge cartridge razor. I shave in the shower with Aveno gel soap and shave 2 or 3 times a week.

When browsing a deal forum, I came across a thread about a deal on a razor available on Aliexpress. After reading the post and realizing I had $3 credit available there, I told myself why not, so I ordered the Ming shi 2000s for less than $9 shipped to my door.

I made the purchase based on money I could end up saving hoping that comfort would not be an issue, as I tried several different affordable cartridges razor without success in the past, including the Dorco’s Pace 3/4/5/6 as they where way too aggressive on my sensitive skin.

After several weeks, I almost forgot about it when I received an email telling me it passed custom and I should receive it in 2 days.

After reading a little bit, I found out a whole lot about wet shaving including this web site and realized I could not simply use this new razor in the shower with the same soap.

I placed an order for an Omega brush starter kit that comes with soap, a stand and a 10065 red brush. I also ordered a sample pack of blades on Amazon.

Considering I am a new to wet shaving, is there any particular order I should try to use my blades?

Here is the list of blades I should have on hand when I receive the razor:

10 X Dorco Prime

5 X Derby Premium

5 X Astra SS

5 X Astra SP

5 X Ming Shi

5 X Feather

5 X 7o’clock SE(yellow)

5 X 7o’clock SS(green)

5 X Gillette Platinum

5 X Voskhod

I remember I started with the Astra SP kinda middle of the road in terms of sharpness and smoothness but it didn't take long before I realised there were better blades for my particular skin and stubble I tried about 10 different ones and narrowed it down to 4 which are in my rotation now

Polsilver SI
King C Gillette blades
Perma sharp
Gillette Nacet

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I always recommend saving the Feathers for last. It's a great blade, but very sharp and very unforgiving of any lapse in technique.

Sometimes you run into a blade (any brand) with a bad edge. If you get to your next blade down the list and have a couple of terrible strokes, try switching out the blade for the next one in the pack. In any case, you are not required to complete a whole shave if you find a blade that is really uncomfortable.

Enjoy the journey.

I would try them in an order, and then in the reverse of that order. If tried in say mildest to sharpest order, it could skew your results.
Thanks, I would not have thought of using the blades in such a fashion, so you suggest using the blades in an order like this:
A B C D E F G H I J J I H G F E D C B A A B C D E F G H I J J I H G F E D C B A A B C D E F G H I J

From my understanding, every skin and every face are different, this is why I got a sample pack to try several different blades and determine which one of those is best for me.
I think the gillette platinum is the best and it's classic.
Would you say that the Gillette Platinum is the best for a beginner or in general?

Just a warning. The razor you have is adjustable and can be very aggressive. If you use it, start with lowest setting and slowly increase. You can do this within the same shave, but don't rush it. Also, be very sure the blade is set square without one side being more exposed than the other. I have a Qshave and it is virtually identical. This type razor can make blade alignment more touchy. Easy to get the sides different.

Personally, I would start with a milder razor that doesn't adjust, such as a vintage Gillette Tech.

I would look up blade sharpness ratings. Just google it. Then start with a medium sharp. Go up one then down one until you have gone through your list. Agree to hold Feather till last. That blade can have a blood lust if at all careless or just inexperienced.

Good luck.

Also, be very sure the blade is set square without one side being more exposed than the other. I have a Qshave and it is virtually identical. This type razor can make blade alignment more touchy. Easy to get the sides different.
Thanks, I will look closely before each shave. :eek2:
Just a warning. The razor you have is adjustable and can be very aggressive. If you use it, start with lowest setting and slowly increase.
I planned on doing just that. ;)
I would start with a milder razor that doesn't adjust, such as a vintage Gillette Tech.
When I ordered the razor, I didn't know this whole wet shaving community and probably wouldn't have made a purchase of a $60 razor unless I knew I would like it and make me save more money in the long run.
As for the old Gillette, where I live, there is nothing really available in the used market and I read the good days of buying cheap old razor on ebay is gone since wet shaving got so popular.

Unless I can't make my blade square and suspect the razor to be the problem, I will try the kit I have and see if I like the concept of wet shaving with a safety razor before I consider to upgrade to another razor.

Just go with Feather blades and a mild/moderate razor, say Feather AS-D2 and all your troubles will be gone and wonderful, rewarding, irritation-free shaves will be all there is to it.
Is this serious? You recommend a newbie like be to buy a $274 CAD razor even if I don't even know if I will like to shave with a safety razor.
Last week I didn't even knew that razor that expensive even existed.😂

Is this serious? You recommend a newbie like be to buy a $274 CAD razor even if I don't even know if I will like to shave with a safety razor.
Last week I didn't even knew that razor that expensive even existed.😂
I recommend it wholeheartedly, yes. As someone who's been shaving for more than 30 years and have tried a lot of shaving gear.

Save your money by NOT wasting it on various razors, only to realize (years later) that you get what you pay for. Buy once, cry once. ☺

Thanks, I will keep the Feather for last.
That's a mistake. Using dull blades is not great way to obtain the skills and technique needed for a great shave.

If you have sensitive skin and coarse beard, you will want to get Feathers asap.

Will you get a few nicks along the way?

Not with a proper razor, that is with AS-D2, as you literally cannot cut yourself with it.

Welcome to the forum.

I did not vote but use them in no particular order including the Feather. At first just use the blade for 1-2 shaves until you settle on one you like before pushing the blade to the limit.

I have been shaving for 35+ years and have used single blade and twin blade disposables and even though they did the job I found out about this old fashioned type shaving 4 years ago and haven't looked back. As far as your razor of choice I have the Qshave version and I did not care for it, mainly the way it holds the blade. Just doesn't seem like it is solid. It is a razor I would not recommend for a starter razor. If vintage is something you would consider get a Gillette Tech that was mentioned. If you want new and something cheap try a Wilkinson Sword Classic, it costs around $10 US and it comes with 5 blades that are one of my 2 favorite blades. It is a plastic 2 piece razor, the handle is plastic covered aluminum. It is a mild razor that gets the job done. If the Ming-Shi doesn't work out try a different razor, there plenty of nice economical razors out there that won't break the bank like the ASD2 does. For modern razors I have, besides the Wilkinson Sword, a Van der Hagen twist to open, another nice mild razor for the money. I also have a Merkur 34c, it is a popular starter razor but I don't care of it. For vintage razors I love my Gillette Slim the most. Other vintage razors include a Gillette Fatboy, Gillette New open comb, Gillette Ball-end Tech, Schick Krona all of which are nice shavers. The Slim is an adjustable like the Ming-Shi but it is twist to open and it's my favorite. The Fatboy is also and adjustable and falls into second on my favorite list.

For brushes that boar hair will be a little scratchy until it gets broke in, I tried one and didn't like the feel of it. I have a badger silvertip and they are soft but a little pricey. If that boar doesn't work out for you for an economy choice try a synthetic. I have one and had I known how nice they are for the money I may not have bought the badger.

Soaps can get you down a rabbit hole fast for a short run in this adventure Razorock is a nice choice for the money.

Good luck in this endeavor.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
From my understanding, every skin and every face are different, this is why I got a sample pack to try several different blades and determine which one of those is best for me.

Would you say that the Gillette Platinum is the best for a beginner or in general?

You are correct, sir! There is no way to know which blade will work for you until you try them. If they don't work, put them away for a year and see how they feel with year old technique.

Gillettte Platinum is a wonderful blade - for me. For you? We'll see.

Comfortable shaves come from the best combination of skin/beard/razor/blade and technique. It takes a while to get the correct razor angle all the time, so be patient with yourself. Save great shaves for later, try for good irritation-free shaves for a while.

Some of the blades will be terrible for you. Some will be pretty good and a couple might be great. There is definitely a difference between blades.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

The good news is I received shipment of the razor earlier. 😃 The bad news is that it’s not the model I ordered.😔

I got the Ming Shi 3000s instead of the 2000s in the mail. Aliexpress gave me a full refund of the $6.07 I payed. No matter how bad that razor is, I could not say it's not worth the $0 I end up paying. 🤣

Since, I have it on hand, I might as well give it a try, but I have received the razor and only have the Ming Shi and Dorco Prime blades.

I looked at my Amazon order and it won’t be before next week until I receive the rest of blades. 😒 So I guess I will wait until I receive my brush, the soap and the Astra SS blades sample from Fendrihan.ca later today and do a shave using the Astra SS. :straight:

I will let you know how I did and how useful alum block and styptic pencil actually are.😜

Astra SP is the go-to safe blade IMO, would be a good start there. Voshkods are a good choice too.

If those two don't give you a very satisfactory shave, keep trying blades until you find one and set it as a baseline to judge other blades on.

Keep Feathers for last.

Try them out in the ordering that others mentioned! :biggrin1:

Every person's face is different. You will find many opinions on what is the "best" blade. However, it is what works for you that is best. Try any of the blades and in a few months try them again. As your technique improves what you love today may not be your choice then and what you hate could be your favorite.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Seems like you are going to have a fun ride of discovery on this journey, hang on. My experience is that I was impatient. I was changing blades often trying to figure things out and notice differences before I really had a solid technique in place. You have many good blade choices, ultimately you will discover your preferences. My advice would be to take your time and have fun with the process. Report back on your findings if you have any revelations. Enjoy!

Top Bottom