What's new

Karve Diem

Will you be ordering a SS Karve?

• Yes

• No

• Later when the price drops

• I’m so torn...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Make sure it is a brass threaded R89 made since 2017 and you are set.

Thanks for that.
I guess I can take a gamble and order one off of Amazon and see if it fits/see if its one made from 2017. If not I can return it as Amazon have easy returns.

Thanks again.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
English Shaving Company is the storefront for Edwin Jagger. You can buy spare Jagger heads for around £15 each with cheap global shipping.

English Shaving Company is the storefront for Edwin Jagger. You can buy spare Jagger heads for around £15 each with cheap global shipping.

Yeah I tried a EJ head off of my girlfriends EJ DE89, and the threads on that are different to the Gillette Heritage and won't fully screw on the Karve handle, it screws on the first few threads and then stops.

Not sure if they will differ from/on the Muhle R89 head, in light of Muhle changing to brass threads in 2017 as per @THall findings.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Yeah I tried a EJ head off of my girlfriends EJ DE89, and the threads on that are different to the Gillette Heritage and won't fully screw on the Karve handle, it screws on the first few threads and then stops.

Not sure if they will differ from/on the Muhle R89 head, in light of Muhle changing to brass threads in 2017 as per @THall findings.

I thought the Gillette Heritage was the Jagger head...? Muhle and Jagger are the same.

I thought the Gillette Heritage was the Jagger head...? Muhle and Jagger are the same.

I thought the Heritage head was made by Muhle.

But the threading on the Jagger head of my girlfriends differs from the Heritage head, as the Heritage head fits the Karve handle perfectly. Whereas the Jagger head screws on for the first few turns on my Karve handle and then stops. So they must be something different with the threading from the two mentioned heads. Strange!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I thought the Heritage head was made by Muhle.

But the threading on the Jagger head of my girlfriends differs from the Heritage head, as the Heritage head fits the Karve handle perfectly. Whereas the Jagger head screws on for the first few turns on my Karve handle and then stops. So they must be something different with the threading from the two mentioned heads. Strange!
I've heard EJ replaced the molded zamak screw they used to use with a brass screw. I haven't heard that Muhle has done the same. Muhle makes the head for the Heritage. This would be my guess.

Mühle has had brass threads since 2017.

Mühle made the new Gillette release heads and the threads are brass also.

Mühle does not make EJ and they are separate companies. They collaborated on that head well over a decade ago and both continue to sell it.

As far as I know, EJ has never had brass threads unless something changed last week.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Mühle has had brass threads since 2017.

Mühle made the new Gillette release heads and the threads are brass also.

Mühle does not make EJ and they are separate companies. They collaborated on that head well over a decade ago and both continue to sell it.

As far as I know, EJ has never had brass threads unless something changed last week.
Thank you.

Just wondering if anyone out there, has the open comb plates from Karve and also who owns the Muhle R89.

Just wondering which one of the open comb plates would you say is close to the Muhle R89 in terms of aggression.

I’m wanting to try the open comb as I currently don’t have any open combs in my possession.

Just wondering if anyone out there, has the open comb plates from Karve and also who owns the Muhle R89.

Just wondering which one of the open comb plates would you say is close to the Muhle R89 in terms of aggression.

I’m wanting to try the open comb as I currently don’t have any open combs in my possession.
You are looking at doing exactly what I did. When I ordered my Karve brass I was very new to DE shaving. It was suggested that I order the "B" SB plate. I ordered the B & C sb plates. I never used the "B" and loved the "C". I then ordered both the B & C open comb plates. I liked the B, but really liked the C. I ordered more plates ( B,C,D and E in both SB & OC). I have settled on the "D" for SB and the C & D for the OC plates. This is what introduced me to open combs and is the plate I order in most all of my new razors.

I really hope you try the open comb, I think you will like it.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Similar story to @Cannon Cocker . I had been a fairly dedicated DE89/R89 user prior to the release of the Karve. Got my initial brass order when it first came out. Got the B and C plates. I found the B way too mild. The C was pretty good. Ordered the D and E plates. Found the D to be just about perfect. Then when the OC plates were released I got the C and D OC plates. The C OC is the sweet spot for me. Comparable to the D solid plate. I still have not used the E solid or the D OC plate after a couple of years of having them. No inclination yet. But I will some day. My taste for aggressive razors is evolving.

Similar story to @Cannon Cocker . I had been a fairly dedicated DE89/R89 user prior to the release of the Karve. Got my initial brass order when it first came out. Got the B and C plates. I found the B way too mild. The C was pretty good. Ordered the D and E plates. Found the D to be just about perfect. Then when the OC plates were released I got the C and D OC plates. The C OC is the sweet spot for me. Comparable to the D solid plate. I still have not used the E solid or the D OC plate after a couple of years of having them. No inclination yet. But I will some day. My taste for aggressive razors is evolving.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.
Out of the open combs you have, which would you say feels like the DE89/R89 the most?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Out of the open combs you have, which would you say feels like the DE89/R89 the most?
"feels like" ?? None. The open combs have a sort of ruggedness to them in my opinion. I dont think you are going to get any open comb razor to feel like an R89. The C solid bar plate would be the closest in my opinion. However, as far as aggressiveness and shave result, the C OC is a bit higher up the aggressiveness scale than an R89 in my opinion. Still very manageable. ymmv.

I can't help you with regard to the DE89/R89, never used one. What I have found is that the open comb razors just have a different feel. I've hear people say they aren't as smooth, they are more aggressive, be careful and more. That was enough to keep me away from them for some time. Once I did try the Karve B and then C (OC) plates I really liked the efficiency and the feel. For me the biggest difference was the lather that flows through the teeth on the open comb plate.

I am guilty of sometimes going over a touch up spot without dabbing on some lather. The razor can skip and cause a nick. The open comb allows some lather to flow through the teeth, and helps stop the skipping.
I do feel the blade more but I don't believe it effects the smoothness of the shave.

I normally use the OC "D" for a little added efficiency, or the SB "D" for a regular shave. I think the "C" OC would be a very good place for you to start.

I hope you give it a try.

I can't help you with regard to the DE89/R89, never used one. What I have found is that the open comb razors just have a different feel. I've hear people say they aren't as smooth, they are more aggressive, be careful and more. That was enough to keep me away from them for some time. Once I did try the Karve B and then C (OC) plates I really liked the efficiency and the feel. For me the biggest difference was the lather that flows through the teeth on the open comb plate.

I am guilty of sometimes going over a touch up spot without dabbing on some lather. The razor can skip and cause a nick. The open comb allows some lather to flow through the teeth, and helps stop the skipping.
I do feel the blade more but I don't believe it effects the smoothness of the shave.

I normally use the OC "D" for a little added efficiency, or the SB "D" for a regular shave. I think the "C" OC would be a very good place for you to start.

I hope you give it a try.

Thanks for the help and advice, appreciate it.

After a long remission I’ve just come down with a new bout of RAS that today resulted in a new Karve Christopher Bradley brass SB C appearing on my doorstep. I’m waiting until morning to shave with it, but was curious about the little info card in the package:
86C99EA9-1254-4781-95A9-FC8E958FAC3C.jpeg

I can see why it’s prudent to have the washer in place for shipping and how it’s not required for shaving. But the “damage may result” warning about leaving it on the post seems weird. The top cap has plenty of threads, and the washer reduces the engagement by a vey small percentage.
I’m not sure if the washer and warning are recent additions to Karve packaging, but wondering if anyone thinks it unwise to ignore the instructions and keep the plastic in place.

Top Bottom