What's new

Washita Thread. Show off, discuss, etc.

Definately not a washita, my bad. Looks like it sparkles and with that color it is only missing the bands to be a hindostan. I have read some bands can be over a inch thick but it is hard to tell on that one. Other than that I can't think of anything else it might be.

Sorry about the misidentification. That is only the second time I have been wrong on a stone. I have had well over a hundred stones from all over the world.

Reactions: CCR
Definately not a washita, my bad. Looks like it sparkles and with that color it is only missing the bands to be a hindostan. I have read some bands can be over a inch thick but it is hard to tell on that one. Other than that I can't think of anything else it might be.

Sorry about the misidentification. That is only the second time I have been wrong on a stone. I have had well over a hundred stones from all over the world.
This is really strange, almost has me thinking it's a piece of marble or granite. It's super heavy and very smooth. But that might be because i used a granite 400 diamond buffing wheel to clean it up. I do patio kitchens and do a lot of concert counter tops so have all the tools to do both.
I was able to get a slurry built up on it with a 400 diamond hand pad. Worked a razor from bevel set on the 1k then 4k then jumped on the mystery stone for about 120 X passes and did the shave test on the arm and didn't see much dif then right off the 4k, Put the stone up and jumped on the 8k for 80 passes and test improved by a huge margin.
Jumped back on the mystery stone for another 120 X passes and i really can't tell if it improved by much at all.
20200930_175822.jpg20200930_180108.jpg
Wondering if maybe i need to drop down to like a 200 wet/dry and see if that will do anything for it?
Problem is i am not really experienced enough once a blade is able to shave to pick the small improvements in keeness. I am still on the level of if it doesn't tug or leave irritation it's a great shaver. Sad but being honest.

Last edited:

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Problem is i am not really experienced enough once a blade is able to shave to pick the small improvements in keeness. I am still on the level of if it doesn't tug or leave irritation it's a great shaver. Sad but being honest.

Hone, shave, repeat

Yeah I remember seeing that stone listed and thinking it could be a washita... but looked more to me like a relatively coarse stone I've had a time or two out of toolboxes that almost looks like styrofoam texture (made up of little spheres), and is off-white and somewhat translucent. Those are pretty useless stones for razors in my experience, so I passed on bidding. If that's not translucent though, it's probably not one of those.

Your pictures do make it look like a possible ark/washita to me... moreso than the seller's did... but not definitively. If anything it looks like a low quality hard ark to my eyes.

Ok gents. Totally clueless, was convinced I was bidding on a Hohenzollern because I could see a picture on the lid 😂
Is this a washita? It was soaked in oil so degreased in simple green. When it comes out it's very white but then eventually it darkens a bit.

fullsizeoutput_1f7f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1f80.jpeg

This is really strange, almost has me thinking it's a piece of marble or granite. It's super heavy and very smooth. But that might be because i used a granite 400 diamond buffing wheel to clean it up. I do patio kitchens and do a lot of concert counter tops so have all the tools to do both.
I was able to get a slurry built up on it with a 400 diamond hand pad. Worked a razor from bevel set on the 1k then 4k then jumped on the mystery stone for about 120 X passes and did the shave test on the arm and didn't see much dif then right off the 4k, Put the stone up and jumped on the 8k for 80 passes and test improved by a huge margin.
Jumped back on the mystery stone for another 120 X passes and i really can't tell if it improved by much at all.
View attachment 1162361View attachment 1162363
Wondering if maybe i need to drop down to like a 200 wet/dry and see if that will do anything for it?
The surface of your stone looks similar to my favorite hard ark. Not saying that is what it is but if so it might respond pretty well to a higher grit wet dry. It would be such a strange size for an ark.

Now that is a Washita! Wood looks thick putting it after 1932 through 1950. Pike used the thickest wood so after pike era and sometime in the late 40's early 50's they made them even thinner. Even if it not a Thuri it is still a good dtone if you did not pay to much. Nice find Alex!

CCR after looking at pictures of some soft arks I had and it not having the layers typical of hidostans I can only think of a hard ark with that color. It looks coarser in the first pics but finer after you took it to 400.

Now that is a Washita! Wood looks thick putting it after 1932 through 1950. Pike used the thickest wood so after pike era and sometime in the late 40's early 50's they made them even thinner. Even if it not a Thuri it is still a good dtone if you did not pay to much. Nice find Alex!

CCR after looking at pictures of some soft arks I had and it not having the layers typical of hidostans I can only think of a hard ark with that color. It looks coarser in the first pics but finer after you took it to 400.

Thank you for the info. Yeah it was pretty cheap so can't complain. Put it back to sg as kcb suggested.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Now that is a Washita! Wood looks thick putting it after 1932 through 1950. Pike used the thickest wood so after pike era and sometime in the late 40's early 50's they made them even thinner.
Interesting. I’ve never heard this before but I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the info.

2.53 water displacement test. It's interesting, it has visual characteristics you don't expect to see in a hard

Attachments

• 20201002_163332.jpg
    20201002_163332.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Ive had a 2.46 labeled lily white and a 2.48 translucent washita (100% washita not hard ark). 2.53 washita wouldn’t shock me.

I am somewhat amazed something that dense has allowed such penetration. That is post lapping which was horrible. It's still sweating oil and then looks much lighter before it hits a new equilibrium at the surface. Even with some oil still in there it has excellent translucency. I need to run more displacement tests, especially with the ones I did with the math method to see the accuracy.

Sometimes I wonder how #1s werent LW. Ive had several labeled LW less clean than that.
I have had the very same thought many times. Seems like they were very picky!

The one from Arkansas Oil Stone Co is hard and fine the modern one on the bottom is the fastest and coarse.

Nice stone collection Bow! Arks will always have a special place in my heart for them. Thanks for sharing!

After spending a few days in the green bath, a 6” #1 cleaned up and is ready for Saturday night

View attachment 1163958View attachment 1163959View attachment 1163960
Very nice stone Tim!

Boo! Hiss!
Yeah but then the grain of it particularly on the narrow end isn't right for hard. It's odd. Given my oil fight it's more porous than any hard ark I habe ever encountered as well. It's never taken me more than 2 days to strip a hard no matter how filthy.

Top Bottom