What's new

Should I get a shavette? What's a good quality one?

I've been using DE only so far.

Are shavettes hard to use?

Any good ones that use the standard DE style blades?
What is your motive for using a Shavette? Do you eventually want to use a real straight razor? If yes the only similarity between the two is how you hold them (IMHO). A real straight has a much different face feel and is much more forgiving. But then you need to get a shave ready blade and strop it before each use.
With a shavette break a DE blade in half, insert it and off you go. However as I said the shavette is much less forgiving than a real straight.
So, hard to use not really onace you figure out the angle to hold it against your face but much easier to cut yourself (IMHO).
Sally’s beauty supply sells one for $10 and it will get you started if you’re keen to dip your toe in the water.

The 'Strong Leopard 74-A' uses full DE blades. l don't know how it handles VS a 1/2 DE shavette since it is the only one l got. lt shaves good once you learn how to use it and 'earn your chops' with it a few times.

I'm a big fan of Universal shavettes. They are full size like a real straight.
All others feel like child play things.
The clam style hold the blade best.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I've been using DE only so far.

Are shavettes hard to use?

Any good ones that use the standard DE style blades?
"hard to use" is a very subjective term. They are different to use compared to a DE razoz. You will need to learn and teach yourself how to use them effectively, just like you would have to do with a traditional SR.

There are plenty of good ones available to you in Singapore, from USD 2 up to the expensive (and I think overpriced) Parker's available on Lazada. I prefer the swing-back type that I have and use regularly. My most used shavette is the USD 2 stainless steel one. It holds the blade well and has the blade exposure that suits my shaving style.

As for traditional straight razors being much more "forgiving", I do not entirely agree. Maybe just a little more forgiving. I can cut myself just as easily with a traditional SR as I can with a shavette if I let my concentration wonder while SR shaving. The edges on my traditional SR's are comparable to my shavette blade edges, just that the shavette blades are shorter.

Last edited:
I have a Parker shavette and never really cared for it, although I got to the point I can get decent results. But then I bought a Feather AC and never picked up the Parker again.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have a Parker shavette and never really cared for it, although I got to the point I can get decent results. But then I bought a Feather AC and never picked up the Parker again.
I agree that the Feather AC is a good shavette to shave with, however the OP enquired about normal DE blade shavettes. Maybe Feather AC type blades are harder to source in Singapore - I know that they are almost impossible to get in the Philippines.

This is over simplifying but IMO there are at 3 categories of shavettes:
1) those which use DE (half or full) blades. These can vary a lot in how the blade is loaded and held. Certainly the cheapest option in terms of blade holder and blades, but IMO slightly harder to master than the others.​
2) Feather Artist Club DX style. Looks the most like a traditional straight. There are numerous clones from Kai, CJB, others found on Aliexpress and other auction sites.​
3) Feather Artist Club SS style. One can also find some copies/clones. IMO this style is different enough to be in its own category. It is the most forgiving shavette.​
I like to use all 3 types. The DX style is my favorite but I have grown to appreciate the wide variety of DE shavettes. The SS is the one I would use if I was pressed for time and had an important social function to attend, as it can be like a mild DE when it comes to the potential for generating nicks or cuts.

I have a cheapo shavette from Sally's. I'm about 10 shaves in. It's not harder than learning to shave with a DE, it's just different. A lot of it feels counterintuitive until it's not. It's a hard question to answer, as the two are so dissimilar. It's like asking if a motorcycle is hard to learn. Not really, just recognize the payment for mistakes is blood.

As for which ones were good for hand DE blades, they all seem good enough. Pick up a cheap stamped in China one to learn to use. By the time you know if it's for you, you'll have specific questions about specific models, and a cheap backup to travel and camp with. Then come back with lots of pictures! We like pictures!

If you know what you are doing with a DE, and are happy with the results, then there is no reason to try a shavette in my opinion. If you want to try something as a precursor to a straight, then, yes, trying a shavette might be worthwhile. Not too much money to loose in keeping with the cheaper DE-blade or the larger Sally's beauty center Fromm-blade options. My preference is for the Focus R21 with the plastic insert that holds dedicated "saloon" DE half-blades. The plastic insert makes for a smoother feel and less weepers, less mysterious nicks, than the full-metal options from my experience. Ergonomics and hand-holding is similar to manipulating a straight, and no worries about wrecking the edge via stropping in starting out. Angle is key as the shavettes are unforgiving. I also would suggest a "slick" lather and the right blade. The traditional Osma shaving soap and an Egyptian Shark blade usually get me there quite nicely. Keep the spine low to the ground in starting out.

Does anyone know if the kamisori style is better than the foldable european style?

I keep looking at the feather artist club ss. But cost is a BIG problem though. And on top of that I've to open up a new blade supply chain which would incur even more cost.

There's enough knock offs that take the AC blades. That price scared me away too. However, the blades would be the same.

+1, same here.

I bought the Parker SRX. it's a nasty device I never liked, let alone enjoyed shaving with.

When I bought the Feather AC SS it was "love at the first sight". The resign handle, the ease of grip, the finishing quality and most importantly the smoothness of the shave are second to none.

To the OP: @Slanterino, I'd advise against getting a half-DE type shavette, as it is entirely different experience from a real SR, if your plan is to use a SR eventually.

If you want to try "how SR shave feels" w/o the burden of stropping, honing and buying various maintenance items, then get the Feather Artist Club folding type razor, along with Pro Super blades, as those blades have the greatest blade exposure, thus resemble the SR experience most accurately.

Me, I got a non-folding, as I already had a real SR, so was curious about it. It's fantastic BTW.

I keep a short well trimmed beard; I’ve thought about getting a shavette for trimming the border of the beard.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I dislike paying 50c or more for a disposable blade. So, as good as the Feather AC models are, I don't feel the love. But as far as that goes, there are some VERY good knockoffs on AliExpress for about $13. I recently had a couple shaves with one, using a Feather Pro Super blade. Pretty nice shave, yeah. The shavette was a clone of the SS type which limits blade contact, and I think I would have liked a DX clone better, but still it was pretty good.

There are also some lookalikes that use a half DE blade. I tried one, was okay. Tried another and meh. Exfoliated a bit too aggressively. I had several micromicropanopicoweepers that you could barely see, and a bit of razor burn from the AS which as I recall was Indian Old Spice so no surprise.

The half DE blade agrees with my budget. You can get 100 Feather DE blades which makes 200 shavette refills, for just a bit over $20. That's cheap! Compared to AC blades, anyway. And you can use them in your DE razor as well, if you are into that.

The Sallys shavette AKA Spilo or Magic Razor, is a slide-out type. The blade holder slides in and out. They can be pretty good or pretty darn bad, especially in the $1 to $3 range. The one from Sallys is quite adequate. The super cheap ones often do not hold the blade very well.

My favorite is the swing-back style. Look on fleabay or aliexpress for the ones with metal scales having two teardrop shaped cutouts. The hold a blade well, and have just the right exposure, even the cheapest ones. I give them highest marks for value. They do the job pretty darn good and they are cheap as dirt.

The Feather Artist Club, both folding and fixed, are very good. However, they cost more than what I would pay for a shavette. some cost more than I would pay for a real razor. Parker? Meh. Get the fleabay swingbacks and you get the same thing, basically, for 1/5 as much. Dovo? Meh. Dead end design. Cost too much for what you get.

All in all my recommendation is the swingback with the teardrop cutouts, from ebay or aliexpress. Best bang for the buck and nearly the best bang, period. YMMV.

I have the Parker SRW Shavette. It is what I learned to SR shave with. I thought it was very good, especially for the price. (This seems to be contrary to what others are saying here about Parker shavettes.) I have not used other shavettes to compare it to. All of my other SRs are "true" SRs.

You can break a normal DE blade in half to use it if you want. It is very easy to do, just bend it in half while still in the wrapper. I do suggest you do a little research before trying.

Good luck!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
All in all my recommendation is the swingback with the teardrop cutouts, from ebay or aliexpress. Best bang for the buck and nearly the best bang, period. YMMV.
I am of the same mind. I have a few and give some away to introduce friends to SR shaving.

Maybe I should get some more and put together a M7DS. Razors $14, case $50, engraving $50. Only $114 total!

Does anyone know if the kamisori style is better than the foldable european style?

I keep looking at the feather artist club ss. But cost is a BIG problem though. And on top of that I've to open up a new blade supply chain which would incur even more cost.
Kamisori allows for a few more options in how you hold it. And there are no scales interfering with your concentration when trying to learn to shave. But those are relatively minor advantages. Western style is obviously easier to store and that can help make it safer, especially in a crowded bathroom.

Artist club blades are expensive compared to DE blades but IMO are reasonable on a per usage basis compared to other shave gear. But if you do not end up liking the experience, buying a real Feather AC razor and a multi-pack of blades will have been a big waste.

Shavettes require a very gentle, precise touch. DE blades are very sharp and unforgiving. I'm much more likely to get a nick with a shavette than a traditional straight razor.

It's easier to get a closer, faster and less irritating shave using a DE but there's something really nice about the simplicity of a bare blade against the skin and your own skills. You'll definitely learn more about shaving. When I started using a shavette I instantly got better with my DE.

Top Bottom