What's new

No guard DE?

Here is my humble devette, wrought from the inimitable Baili 172 top cap, a washer and an unknown donor handle. This little fellow gives heaps of feedback whilst chattering through the stubble. Not an everyday driver, but fun once in a while... :tongue_sm

It's minimalist of course, but I think it aptly captures the spirit of the devette.

proxy.php

You need to up your game and start shaving STEEP, Nick.

Although blade angle is often an issue, it's probably not the problem here. This thing would chatter like a herd of squirrels at an acorn convention even if it were gliding over teflon-coated glass in a vacuum chamber...

It's an object lesson in an "anti-rigidity"! :yum"

I don't like blade chatter, hence my modified (guardless) baseplate:
NG-GilletteCap-PhoenixHandle-Rear_2017-08-20.jpg

But if you like it, don't let me stop you:
Old-Type-No-Guard-1_Bright50.jpg
:laugh:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
After reading all of this thread, I am intrigued about shaving with a devette. I have come from wet shaving with carts direct to SR shaving, including shavettes. I missed the "safety" razor step.

I also have two Ming Shi 2000S (Futur clone for about USD 10) "safety" razors that I only occasionally use when I am game enough to shave without being able to see the blade's edge on my skin. After looking at the Ming Shi 2000S, it should not be too difficult to convert it into a devette.

The 2000S is an adjustable razor with the blade being clamped up against the top plate by an internal fixed inner plate. Adjustment comes by moving the base plate, that doesn't touch the blade, up and down. All I would have to do is grind the moveable base plate to remove the SB. Of course I will loose any availability adjustment but that is not needed in a devette.

This could interesting.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A better (and easier) bet would be to get a modern Gillette Tech:
View attachment 1368923
or one of its many copies (to remove the baseplate guards from) IMO.

View attachment 1368925
Maybe, if it was readily available. I already have a Ming Shi 2000S that is not used. There is only one DE "safety" razor available locally to me. That is the King C Gillette for three times the price of the Ming Shi 20002.

The base plate of the 2000S is of zamak so is easy to work on.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'm gonna put one of those pins in the map by saying, "I read through all 50 pages of this yesterday."

I've gone through the classic stages of shaving thinking:

Stage 1: Denial. There is no way under this sun or any other that I would use one of these.
Stage 2: Anger. Why are these idiots destroying perfectly good razors?
Stage 3: Bargaining. Well, it's kind of like a shavette with a T handle...
Stage 4: Depression. Just when I thought I had all I wanted, along comes this.
Stage 5: Acceptance. OK, I'll give 'er a shot.

For those compulsive TL;DR folks: Go back, and darnit read this thread. Community-driven research at its finest! I was most intrigued by the later discovery that leaving the outside two teeth of an OC or the supports for the bars on an SB cuts down on chatter, gives a bit of protection from corner sticks and provides "kickstands" to protect the edge when the razor is put down. As we also note, that was more of a re-discovery, since the original notice from 1934 also mentions something of the sort.

I can use shavettes, though gingerly. I got bucked off by the Razorine, which I really wanted to like because I like quirky things. A nice devette may just scratch my quirk itch. Before anyone asks, I have several quirk itches. One of them is scratched by the Merkur Super Slant. Try that and any other slant is just a bent DE.

Off to consider possibles...

O.H.

Top Bottom