What's new

NEWBIE BLADE PIF!!!!

Ok gents a little update.
I still haven't received the derby USTA blades and have opened a case with USPS.
Stuck in a center that I've have 6 packages go into and come out of since they got there.

Also I now have Wizamet iridium super which I truely believe are same as polsilvers.

The gents that already got my envelopes probably got polsilver so they lose nothing lol.

Just an update that I have another option since the polsilvers have been discontinued and if you loved the polsilvers you can still get these
(I think it was downsizing when P&G took over and saw 2 of the same blades with different packaging)

So if you got the polsilvers and loved them, don't worry you can still get them!!!

Had a shave today with my progress and they feel just like them and look just like them on blade printing.
Hope to hear good and bad of what you all tried too!!! Everyone is different.

Awesome!!
Can't wait to hear how it goes!!
Hopefully you find something you like!!!

Blade PIF arrived today in perfect condition. I very much appreciate the "extras" you passed along!

Blade PIF.jpg

Hi Mate. Thanks for doing this. I'm. Mark from Malaysia. Been a B&B member since June 2020.
Been wet shaving for over 15 years. Hated shaving and that plastic Gillette DE razor for over 20 years. Terrible shaves no matter what blade I used. But once I purchased a proper DE razor, things changed overnight. Now it's my hobby!
I currently use a Merkur 34C, Edwin Jagger DE89, Parker Variant Adjustable.
As for blades I regularly use in my rotation, they are Astra SP, Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless, Personna Lab Blue, Gillette Wilkinson Sword. Off late I have really been enjoying my shaves with the Gillette London Bridge. Awesome blades.
So. Many blades out there I haven't tried out and you have some of them.

Polisilver Super Iridium
Shark Platinum
Personna Med Prep
Gillette Nacet Stainless
Perma Sharp Super

Best wishes mate.

Mark

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Hi Mate. Thanks for doing this. I'm. Mark from Malaysia. Been a B&B member since June 2020.
Been wet shaving for over 15 years. Hated shaving and that plastic Gillette DE razor for over 20 years. Terrible shaves no matter what blade I used. But once I purchased a proper DE razor, things changed overnight. Now it's my hobby!
I currently use a Merkur 34C, Edwin Jagger DE89, Parker Variant Adjustable.
As for blades I regularly use in my rotation, they are Astra SP, Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless, Personna Lab Blue, Gillette Wilkinson Sword. Off late I have really been enjoying my shaves with the Gillette London Bridge. Awesome blades.
So. Many blades out there I haven't tried out and you have some of them.

Polisilver Super Iridium
Shark Platinum
Personna Med Prep
Gillette Nacet Stainless
Perma Sharp Super

Best wishes mate.

Mark

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk
I apologise mark but right now I'm only shipping for CONUS members :-/
Maybe later if I expand to worldwide I will let you know.

I apologise mark but right now I'm only shipping for CONUS members :-/
Maybe later if I expand to worldwide I will let you know.
I responded when I received mine, but I want to keep bumping this thread for as long as you are still offering it because you are doing such a great service to us newbies.
I had three great shaves with The Derby Premium before switching to a Shark Platinum on Wednesday. I would put the Shark equal to the Derby. The Shark was slightly smoother, but also slightly less efficient. Still got BBS on 95% of my face. DFS on the other 5%. No irritation whatsoever. The first two blades I have used from this PIF have been fantastic compared to the blades that came with my razor.

What a lovely gesture ..so many charitable people on b&b willing to help others out :) one of the first things i noticed when i signed up years ago

I'm hoping to hear something about the gent's journey with the blades!!!
What are you trying, what razor? What are you thinking? Good, bad, ugly, personal opinions?

More than happy to give a progress report.

I don’t have that many blades under my belt but here’s what I’ve experienced so far...

Astra Superior Platinum (Pre PIF): The first blade I ever wet shaved with. Seemed like an overall decent blade but left me wondering if there wasn't something better. The shaves were pretty good, I had some nicks and cuts but I was still learning the angles and that when people say, "no pressure" what they really mean is, "NO PRESSURE". Then I ran across your PIF and I've been able to experiment. I'm not going to say too much else about these blades because I don't think I've given them a fair shake yet. I plan on revisiting this blade because I'm convinced my technique has improved greatly since I last used one. Final verdict: The jury is still out but I can't say they'll make my short list.

Merkur (also Pre PIF): Worst blade experience I've had yet. Wow it was bad. This blade almost turned me off to wet shaving altogether. The shave felt rough with some occasional tugging I did NOT care for. I was left bloodier than a stuck pig after using the Merkur and while it may be attributable to poor technique, I'm in no hurry to experiment with this blade again. Merkur blades also relatively expensive so I'm writing these off. Final verdict: No. Bad blade! No biscuit!!

Personna Lab Blues (PIF Blade #1): The blade that pulled me back into thinking there's something to this whole wet shaving thing. This blade left some minor sandpaper stubble in my trouble spots but still gave me a very smooth, irritation free shave overall. While I'm hoping for better, if for some reason this was the only blade on the planet, I could manage. Final verdict: The smoothness of the overall shave was really, really good. It's on the bottom of my short list, but on the short list nonetheless.

Personna Platinum (aka “Israeli Reds” (PIF Blade #2)): If there’s such a thing as a “come to Jesus moment” in shaving, I had one with the Israeli Reds. Immediate reaction: Best. Shave. Ever. Babies wish their butts were this smooth. Unfortunately my excitement was short-lived. As my face dried I started feeling some irritation and I saw red splotches pretty much all over. Still, the overall shaving experience was SO GOOD, it almost makes that little bit of discomfort worthwhile in a "No pain, no gain" sort of way. I really want to love this blade and I’m wondering if maybe I just didn’t get a little heavy handed with it during this particular shave. Final verdict: Still hoping to find something that combines the smoothness of the Lab Blues with BBS shave I got with the Israeli Red. This blade is firmly on the short list and I'll be giving it another trial run at some point.

Gillette Nacet (PIF Blade #3): I may have found what I’m looking for in the Nacet: Super smooth like a Lab Blue with no irritation and, with the exception of the tip of my chin, BBS all over. Yes, there was some sandpaper left behind on my chin (a known trouble spot) but this is the first blade that left the underside of my jaw close to the ear, lower neck area and the little area riiight under my nose totally smooth. Final verdict: As of today, the Nacet is the blade to beat. I was almost ready to stop any further experimentation and just go whole hog on these blades. The only blade I've tried so far that could knock the Nacet off its pedestal would be the Personna Platinum if it turns out I just need to learn it.

Next Up (PIF Blade #4): I’m not sure where to go from here. I could try something new, or revisit something like the Israeli Red to see where I’m at with it. If I decide to try something new, it will probably be a Treet Platinum. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has one.

More than happy to give a progress report.

I don’t have that many blades under my belt but here’s what I’ve experienced so far...

Astra Superior Platinum (Pre PIF): The first blade I ever wet shaved with. Seemed like an overall decent blade but left me wondering if there wasn't something better. The shaves were pretty good, I had some nicks and cuts but I was still learning the angles and that when people say, "no pressure" what they really mean is, "NO PRESSURE". Then I ran across your PIF and I've been able to experiment. I'm not going to say too much else about these blades because I don't think I've given them a fair shake yet. I plan on revisiting this blade because I'm convinced my technique has improved greatly since I last used one. Final verdict: The jury is still out but I can't say they'll make my short list.

Merkur (also Pre PIF): Worst blade experience I've had yet. Wow it was bad. This blade almost turned me off to wet shaving altogether. The shave felt rough with some occasional tugging I did NOT care for. I was left bloodier than a stuck pig after using the Merkur and while it may be attributable to poor technique, I'm in no hurry to experiment with this blade again. Merkur blades also relatively expensive so I'm writing these off. Final verdict: No. Bad blade! No biscuit!!

Personna Lab Blues (PIF Blade #1): The blade that pulled me back into thinking there's something to this whole wet shaving thing. This blade left some minor sandpaper stubble in my trouble spots but still gave me a very smooth, irritation free shave overall. While I'm hoping for better, if for some reason this was the only blade on the planet, I could manage. Final verdict: The smoothness of the overall shave was really, really good. It's on the bottom of my short list, but on the short list nonetheless.

Personna Platinum (aka “Israeli Reds” (PIF Blade #2)): If there’s such a thing as a “come to Jesus moment” in shaving, I had one with the Israeli Reds. Immediate reaction: Best. Shave. Ever. Babies wish their butts were this smooth. Unfortunately my excitement was short-lived. As my face dried I started feeling some irritation and I saw red splotches pretty much all over. Still, the overall shaving experience was SO GOOD, it almost makes that little bit of discomfort worthwhile in a "No pain, no gain" sort of way. I really want to love this blade and I’m wondering if maybe I just didn’t get a little heavy handed with it during this particular shave. Final verdict: Still hoping to find something that combines the smoothness of the Lab Blues with BBS shave I got with the Israeli Red. This blade is firmly on the short list and I'll be giving it another trial run at some point.

Gillette Nacet (PIF Blade #3): I may have found what I’m looking for in the Nacet: Super smooth like a Lab Blue with no irritation and, with the exception of the tip of my chin, BBS all over. Yes, there was some sandpaper left behind on my chin (a known trouble spot) but this is the first blade that left the underside of my jaw close to the ear, lower neck area and the little area riiight under my nose totally smooth. Final verdict: As of today, the Nacet is the blade to beat. I was almost ready to stop any further experimentation and just go whole hog on these blades. The only blade I've tried so far that could knock the Nacet off its pedestal would be the Personna Platinum if it turns out I just need to learn it.

Next Up (PIF Blade #4): I’m not sure where to go from here. I could try something new, or revisit something like the Israeli Red to see where I’m at with it. If I decide to try something new, it will probably be a Treet Platinum. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has one.
Awesome!!!
Well if nacet and personna lab did well, try polsilver or any of the russian 7 o'clock a (can't remember what I gave you lol)

7 o'clock yellow are sharper than what you tried. The blacks are nice too. The Astra super stainless are less sharp (read aggressive) than the SP you've tried.
Voskhod are smooth too, but depending on razor you'll have to see.
I can speak well of almost all the ones I have you haha.
Go with your gut, it's worked so far :)
I warn you, GSB has my top spot. So if you love them continue trying, or save them for later haha

Edit: but if you found something you agree with then grab a 100 pack. Liking others won't ruin the fact you like them.
You'll end up with bulk of more than one eventually haha

Maybe try the Israeli blue crystal?!? Red left you smooth but some irritation. Maybe the blue will leave you with close and less irritation? Lol I don't know. I still say go with your gut.

Awesome!!!
I know, right?!
Well if nacet and personna lab did well, try polsilver or any of the russian 7 o'clock a (can't remember what I gave you lol)
I didn't request any Polsilvers be included in my PIF but... I do have a couple Voskhod blades (I find myself wanting to call these "Vodka Sheds"), a couple Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinums (in the sexy black box) and two Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (yellow box (aka "Bumble Bees").

I know, right?!

I didn't request any Polsilvers be included in my PIF but... I do have a couple Voskhod blades (I find myself wanting to call these "Vodka Sheds"), a couple Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinums (in the sexy black box) and two Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (yellow box (aka "Bumble Bees").

I forgot you sent a pic of what I sent you 🤠

Participation Report

The day I got my envelope of goodies I had just started a new Personna Lab Blue. That blade lasted almost a full week, so I didn't get to try anything new until 4 days ago.

Current status: The first Personna Platinum (red) lasted 4 shaves, but I should have stopped at 3. They feel dull, and provide ZERO irritation. Believe it or not, I sometimes prefer blades like that, Bolzano being another example for me (although they feel slightly sharper). Now I'm on the second blade of the same type. The first blade I used in a Muhle R89, and this time I'm using a Timeless .68. The timeless feels so much nicer, but the end result is similar.

Unfortunately, they simply don't cut very close for me, so their score takes a hit! I do value comfort over closeness, but knowing I have at least 2 other blades that provide both for me, now I know I can safely pass on these! Good to know!

After this blade is toast, next in line is probably Treet Platinum. I've used Treet Classic (carbon steel) with some success in the past, so I'm looking forward to trying more Treets! Especially ones that don't rust!

Top Bottom