What's new

Shave den Zen

Ok so we have lots of threads on honing and stropping, etc. what about the whole ‘straight shaving experience’? I personally shave everyday and find the whole experience from picking a soap/scent to building a lather, shaving, all the way to applying balm after the shave to be incredibly relaxing, rewarding, and meditative. I love music and typically choose a smooth jazz mix while I’m shaving. Do you guys like silence, TV, heavy metal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Good question. It seems like lately I've just been enjoying the shave without any background music or talk radio.

It seems like I was listening to the radio for the news, but this is not exactly the season in this country to actually ENJOY the news!

Currently I'm listening to the birds chirping and Tweeting (possibly putting them selves in danger of copyrite infringement). Until then, I had an AM radio playing in the background with a station that is playing all the music of my primary school childhood. Much nostalgia.

I wouldn't reach for a straight unless I've got time to relax and enjoy it. If I'm in a rush the results would be bad. Possibly bloody. The less experience you have the worse that is.

No music. I need silence to hear what's going on with my near-wedge.

Also have a singing, extra-hollow blade which needs new scales & sharpening before I get a chance to try it out. I may need to wear ear protectors for that one.

I prefer being able to hear the feedback of my lighter ground razors, so I don't play music. If it's already playing in another though I'll let it go. Not a big deal if I can't hear... especially using a heavy grind.

I'm with you @Raymond Luxury Yacht , I enjoy my smooth jazz for my straight shaves. I enjoy Chris Botti or Sinatra, or just a random Spotify playlist with jazz. I'm the same, It all starts with soaking the brush in a hot stone vessel and stropping my blade. Then a shower and face scrub, I lay the towel out across the sink, and load my soap. Usually have the exact same setting for each shave, my ritual...

No music in the den for me. I keep a trickle of water running into the pool in the basin. Very Zen garden.

And I do like to hear my razor working, whatever grind I've chosen for the shave.

I'm with you @Raymond Luxury Yacht , I enjoy my smooth jazz for my straight shaves. I enjoy Chris Botti or Sinatra, or just a random Spotify playlist with jazz. I'm the same, It all starts with soaking the brush in a hot stone vessel and stropping my blade. Then a shower and face scrub, I lay the towel out across the sink, and load my soap. Usually have the exact same setting for each shave, my ritual...

Good morning heartache, Chris Botti and Jill Scott, good stuff bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just the sound of running water and scraping blades for me. I'm still learning and find it easier without distraction.

Top Bottom