What's new

Best synthetic under $30

I've heard several Yaqi votes now, any thoughts on the Purple Haze?

I've got a Purple Haze and it's a really nice brush. It's super soft and luxurious feeling. Other than my Chubby 2 Synthetic, it's probably the second softest synthetic that I've used. Overall, a great value. With that said, I personally prefer the lower loft (more backbone and denser feel) of the Simpson Trafalgar brushes along with their more traditional handles. They are not quite as soft feeling as the Purple Haze, but close enough.

@CallMeNugget Hope you don’t mind me looping you in but I know you’re a Purple Haze fan. I love the two Yaqi tuxedo knots I have (black marble and sagrada familia) but not sure if they are the same fiber or feel as the Purple Haze. Thoughts? @Johnson is looking for a reasonably priced synth for his dad 👍

Yes, my choice would be the Purple Haze. I like it better than the Familia Sagrada, barely, because it has a bigger handle & I feel it has a little more backbone. The Sagrada feels a little floppy to me sometimes. (I bowl lather, by the way.) I've never seen my Purple Haze shed, either. I have a few other synthetic Yaqi brushes, but the Purple Haze is my go-to almost exclusively. I've used Razorock & Stirling, and a few other brands with similar 24mm synthetic knots, and I just keep going back to that Purple Haze. I like the colors of the fibers in the mew brown knot, & the swirls in that purple handle are mesmerizing. It's a quality brush. The weight is a little heavier than say the Stirling 24mm, or some of the Razorock brushes I've used, & I like that. It's also very reasonably priced. Dries fast, holds water, & enough backbone for me. Whenever I can't decide which one to use, I just use the Haze.

And as always, YMMV.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That's awesome man! My Dad currently uses a single blade Bic disposable and Barbasol shave cream. Literally anything is a huge step forward at this point lol. I have a Fatip Piccolo on the way for him right now, I feel like a nerd saying it but I'm excited for him 😁
You sound like a good son! I think a nice smallish synthetic (24 or 26) would be perfect. And some kind of a shave stick to face lather with that synthetic.

Yes, my choice would be the Purple Haze. I like it better than the Familia Sagrada, barely, because it has a bigger handle & I feel it has a little more backbone. The Sagrada feels a little floppy to me sometimes. (I bowl lather, by the way.) I've never seen my Purple Haze shed, either. I have a few other synthetic Yaqi brushes, but the Purple Haze is my go-to almost exclusively. I've used Razorock & Stirling, and a few other brands with similar 24mm synthetic knots, and I just keep going back to that Purple Haze. I like the colors of the fibers in the mew brown knot, & the swirls in that purple handle are mesmerizing. It's a quality brush. The weight is a little heavier than say the Stirling 24mm, or some of the Razorock brushes I've used, & I like that. It's also very reasonably priced. Dries fast, holds water, & enough backbone for me. Whenever I can't decide which one to use, I just use the Haze.

And as always, YMMV.
Bam! There you go. Thanks for the chime in Nugget.

And as always, YMMV.

Welp, I definitely plan on getting a purple haze at some point but my search ended tonight. I ended up pulling the trigger on a Yaqi familia. Found a blem for $6 on aliexpress and I'm on a tight budget right now with a baby on the way! Thanks for all the help guys.

Welp, I definitely plan on getting a purple haze at some point but my search ended tonight. I ended up pulling the trigger on a Yaqi familia. Found a blem for $6 on aliexpress and I'm on a tight budget right now with a baby on the way! Thanks for all the help guys.
Nice find at $6! My Yaqi black marble tuxedo was a blem and I honestly could never see it. He’ll dig his Sagrda Familia 👍 And congrats on the baby too!

9BA5FA69-A8F5-4875-86E2-0D3EF3E1B5E8.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes I love the Razorock brush - especially the 24mm Bruce - I have bought many brushes since but that little sucker just keeps delivering the goods! I'm also getting my Dad into wet shaving (he's getting some of my hand me downs!!) - it's a really lovely thing to do.
I'm a big bruce fan :) . . .only I prefer the smaller one.

PAA has some very nice synthetics that are vintage style. Best bang for your dollar is the Yaqi defect handled brushes. I have three and cannot find the defect in any of the handles. Low cost to be sure but all of mine are decent full brushes that do not shed. Don't let the stupid low price discourage you.

Under $30 for me would definitely be the Simpsons Trafalgar T3. Under $20 would be a DSCosmetics Kevy Shaves synthetic 24mm knot with black/smoke handle from AliExpress, and under $10 would be the blem Yaqi Sagrada Familia. they're selling at $7 and for that price, I kept one to practice on and the other for travel. way better than any other travel brush you can buy in the store, that's for sure, and a great entry brush in the event you want to gift something to a new shaver.

I know I did recently. It's cool to know that the tradition continues from you to someone else. BC lets face it, he could have saved time, thrown some shave foam and cartridge together and be out of the bathroom in 4 minutes or less. Hell, I take more than that to whip up my lathers :c1: 'If it ain't yogurt, it ain't ****!'

Top Bottom