What's new

Best synthetic under $30

I'm content with my Stirling badger brush, but I'm looking for a decent brush for my Dad who I'm trying to get into wet shaving. I would get him a badger but I don't think he has the patience for one. Anyways I've been looking at some of the WCS, Razororck Big Bruce, and Simpson T3. Any others I should check out or you think might be better for the money?

I can speak for the Big Bruce and T3 as I have both. The Big Bruce has a higher loft and softer bristles - great for creating a big mess of lather (which is a good thing of course!). The T3 is shorter, stouter, has that classic Simpson look and I might argue a touch more 'controllable' though it isn't as pillowy soft as the Bruce. You can't go wrong with either but that's my two cents. I should add that my favourite daily driver is the regular size Bruce - the big 26mm brush is more of an occasional treat for me!

Thanks for the input man. Ease of lathering is important too because my Dad is stubborn (almost 70) and not very patient. Razorock might be a better option because I'm seeing them for 13 bones on Italian Barber, with the money saved I could spring for a decent shave soap too 🤔

Ok I think it’s like $32 but I really like my Viking White Knight. Performs well, hasn’t shed a hair in several years, and looks classy as all get out.
image.jpg

Yes I love the Razorock brush - especially the 24mm Bruce - I have bought many brushes since but that little sucker just keeps delivering the goods! I'm also getting my Dad into wet shaving (he's getting some of my hand me downs!!) - it's a really lovely thing to do.

Yes I love the Razorock brush - especially the 24mm Bruce - I have bought many brushes since but that little sucker just keeps delivering the goods! I'm also getting my Dad into wet shaving (he's getting some of my hand me downs!!) - it's a really lovely thing to do.

That's awesome man! My Dad currently uses a single blade Bic disposable and Barbasol shave cream. Literally anything is a huge step forward at this point lol. I have a Fatip Piccolo on the way for him right now, I feel like a nerd saying it but I'm excited for him 😁

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
For my money, Fine’s Stout ... having kicked every other brush to the curb, it is my daily driver.

So cool you're turning your dad onto wet shaving. It's not one of the ones you mentioned above but man, for $13, I love the Yaqi Tuxedo synthetic. It's soft but has enough backbone that it won't be floppy which could turn your dad off. The handle is easy to hold and works great for face and bowl lathering. I have the 24mm black marble handle version but here is the link to the red marble on WCS. Plus it looks great! :)

I'm sure you'll end up getting him something great!

Last edited:

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I will second a Yaqi tuxedo, but also have a WCS synthetic that I really enjoy. Bottom line is good on you for looking out for your dad and likely you can't go wrong with any synthetic brush we are going to try to push on you.

Yaqi Mink. This is one of the few synthetics I've tried that splays easily which makes it great for face lathering. Soft tips and not pokey yet with enough backbone to load soaps without a problem.

@CallMeNugget Hope you don’t mind me looping you in but I know you’re a Purple Haze fan. I love the two Yaqi tuxedo knots I have (black marble and sagrada familia) but not sure if they are the same fiber or feel as the Purple Haze. Thoughts? @Johnson is looking for a reasonably priced synth for his dad 👍

Top Bottom