What's new

What was your first concert?

Peter, Paul & Mary, when I was about seventeen years old. I went with my best friend, who had absolutely no fear. He decided that we had to go backstage to meet them. After the concert, we went to the backstage entrance and fortunately, someone had left the door ajar. He boldly opened the door and literally dragged me by the collar; across the stage we ran. We saw a room ahead of us with people milling around. It was PP&M’s after show Meet N Greet. We then causally walked in, as if we had been invited, and enjoyed the hospitality. After the party, we helped Peter Yarrow carry his guitars to his automobile. He thanked us and unfortunately asked for directions to Nino’s Steakhouse. When PP&M arrived at the restaurant, just by coincidence, they found my best friend and I seated at the table next to them. I hope everyone enjoys this story as much as I did recalling it, as I wrote it.

IMG_2861.JPG

Just found this newspaper clipping from my first concert, it was amazingly good.

U2 - Unforgettable Fire tour at the Omni in Atlanta, 1985.

I honestly couldn't tell you the second with any certainty, but you always remember your first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Orlando Symphony opened the concert, followed by The J. Giles Band then Humble Pie. Eddie Graham Sports Stadium, 1971. I went my cousin, my best friend at the time. We were 15.
It was a scene man.

They wrote a hell of a lot of songs and a lot of great songs. Some classics that will never die. Die hard Stones fans no doubt love their huge back catalogue, a lot of which is very rhythm&blues influenced. I think in my case certainly, I was influenced more by their more rock n roll hit singles, so I couldn't really get into their music at the gig.
That wasn't my disappointment though. After all it's not their fault if I don't like a lot of their music, and they do have a lot. My disappointment was paying so much money for a ticket. It was the most I had paid at that time or any time since, to see an iconic band live, and be so disappointed by the live performance. Their playing was poor and the sound quality was rubbish.

The concert was at a football stadium in Cologne Germany. Rather bizarrely and unusually they had hired the German Police to do security outside and gaining access to the stadium. They were armed with sidearms and sub machine guns, and deliberately intimidated the crowds with less than friendly Rottweilers. Security inside the stadium was tasked to a German Outlaw bike gang (not the Hells Angels), who also went about their business a tad, shall we say, unfriendly. Oh yeah and the beer stands outside the venue only sold alcohol free beer. Unheard of at a gig at that time. I couldn't believe it. I'm an experienced participant in rock concerts and have never experienced anything like it or been so badly treated, and I aint no shrinking violet with no history of boisterous behaviour myself.

I joke not when I say this is how they played around 1990 and the sound quality is about the same from memory...

Saw them in 1990 at RFK. In Living Color opened. The Stones sounded great. ILC, sadly, did not as the union stooges who did all the sound stage work were still trying to get the sound levels right.

In Living Color opened. The Stones sounded great. ILC, sadly, did not as the union stooges who did all the sound stage work were still trying to get the sound levels right.
I saw ILC in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida about that time, and they sounded great. Killer show at a small venue, front row. They kicked ***.

The Stones? Meh...

I saw ILC in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida about that time, and they sounded great. Killer show at a small venue, front row. They kicked ***.

The Stones? Meh...

I wish DC wasn't union labor. ILC was the hot new band at the time, and the sound was certainly not a reflection of their talent. More an indictment of union labor, and their death grip on contracts.
And the stones played for more than 2 hours.
They had this massive stage, and Mick was ALL over the place.

As a kid a lot of bands played high school gyms. Not an ideal venue for a concert. It masks all sorts of sins with a high school concert or jazz band, but high reverberation walls do not aid a professional group. I was fortunate to grow up in a university town where I did get to see some A-level jazz organizations in the university auditoriums. That was sweet!

My first rock concert was The Rolling Stones in Balboa Park (San Diego) November 1964. The tickets were $3.50, open seating. I was fourteen. A year later my dad bought me a Gillette slim. I remember the concert more than the slim. The Stones were always my favorite band after that concert. What a show!

Saw them in 1990 at RFK. In Living Color opened. The Stones sounded great. ILC, sadly, did not as the union stooges who did all the sound stage work were still trying to get the sound levels right.
Not my first concert, but saw the Stones at RFK in 1972. Stevie Wonder opened and was great. Stones seemed kind of lackadaisical. Kind of ironic as they seemed to be billing themselves as the world's greatest tock and roll band at the time and I was a big fan, and still am. I think they were actually better live in the 60s judging by some of the boot leg stuff and are likely better now as they have become such a polished oldies act. I think the sound is hard to get right at RFK. Not that great a venue to me.

Not my first concert, but saw the Stones at RFK in 1972. Stevie Wonder opened and was great. Stones seemed kind of lackadaisical. Kind of ironic as they seemed to be billing themselves as the world's greatest tock and roll band at the time and I was a big fan, and still am. I think they were actually better live in the 60s judging by some of the boot leg stuff and are likely better now as they have become such a polished oldies act. I think the sound is hard to get right at RFK. Not that great a venue to me.

Open air venues are just not great for concerts. That's why the sound stages have to be so massive as compared to closed venues.
But the atmosphere of open air shows is much better.
Music is recorded in small studios, and the rooms have as much to do with how the music sounds as the instruments and players.
I have watched Sound City several times, and it's amazing that rooms have as much effect as they do.
And analog recording is so much better than digital.

I agree with much of that, Hydguy.

But the atmosphere of open air shows is much better.
This one I am not so sure about. RFK, to me, has the disadvantages of indoor and outdoor. Kind of neither fish nor fowl. For one thing, remembering that Stones show, folks seemed to be into throwing stuff off the upper decks onto the lower down seats, including firecrackers, which does not add to the atmosphere! Back then folks seemed to be into trying to climb onto the stage. There was plenty of security to toss them back into the crowd, but, again, does not add to the enjoyment of others. Maybe indoor/outdoor did not matter in that instance.

Maybe I am just getting old, and crowd adverse, but I think the best shows I have seen, for atmosphere and sound, were in smaller purpose built halls, especially when I had good seats, where people were not doing things like standing on their seats all night!

I admit that Jimmy Buffet in Camden, NJ, at the then BB&T outdoor facility, was good on both. The Willie Nelson Outlaw show at the at Wolf Trap like venue in Philly is mighty pleasant all around, too. Very open feeling to those venues, though. RFK seems both big and confining to me.

I agree with much of that, Hydguy.

This one I am not so sure about. RFK, to me, has the disadvantages of indoor and outdoor. Kind of neither fish nor fowl. For one thing, remembering that Stones show, folks seemed to be into throwing stuff off the upper decks onto the lower down seats, including firecrackers, which does not add to the atmosphere! Back then folks seemed to be into trying to climb onto the stage. There was plenty of security to toss them back into the crowd, but, again, does not add to the enjoyment of others. Maybe indoor/outdoor did not matter in that instance.

Maybe I am just getting old, and crowd adverse, but I think the best shows I have seen, for atmosphere and sound, were in smaller purpose built halls, especially when I had good seats, where people were not doing things like standing on their seats all night!

I admit that Jimmy Buffet in Camden, NJ, at the then BB&T outdoor facility, was good on both. The Willie Nelson Outlaw show at the at Wolf Trap like venue in Philly is mighty pleasant all around, too. Very open feeling to those venues, though. RFK seems both big and confining to me.

Well, to be fair, the crowd at the '90's Stones show were overwhelmingly middle aged and older, so trying to jump up onto a 10-12' riser wasn't gonna be happening. The crowd wasn't 'wild', and most of them probably didn't even know who ILC was. My friends and I were probably the youngest, by at least a decade, in our seating area.

What I meant is that of the shows I went to, there was a lot going on both inside and outside the venue of the more open air shows.
I went just to get the parking lot experience of a Dead show at RFK sometime in the late '80's, as I wasn't a 'fan' of the Dead, but of the products that could be had at a dead show, including tie dye. And it was easier to get the stuff I was interested in outside the show than inside. But I could still hear the concert going on inside RFK.
And outside shows (amphitheaters) with both chair seating and field seating were a lot of fun. I did attend several shows that were held in fields, and while the sound wasn't great, the atmosphere was.

Top Bottom