What's new

Fine Slant Razor (polished aluminum) I’M IN LOVE

@Cal I honestly would try one if I didn’t have this primal need for a Wunderbar. The PBOCS has satisfied my need for a new slant for a little while.

@Cal I honestly would try one if I didn’t have this primal need for a Wunderbar.
If that's what your heart (not your head) is telling you to do, you must have a Wunderbar, first and foremost. :thumbsup:

As soon as I saw the pics of the Fine aluminum slant I knew I had to have it. This "knowledge" was strongly reinforced when I opened the box and particularly when we had our first shave.:001_wub: It's like romantic love and unconditional love all wrapped up in one.
The PBOCS has satisfied my need for a new slant for a little while.
I remember doing the Fixed Four For March 2017 with mine. The (16g) lightness of the PBOCS certainly tunes up one's motor skills. Moving back to "normal" weight razors after that (dialing it in) month was fabulous... I knew straight away that my technique had improved a LOT, very satisfying.

Fine Slant Razor SOTD
SOTD-FS-R_2020-09-22.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 16/47 Silvertip D01
Soap: Fine L'Orange Noir
Razor: Fine Aluminum Slant
Blade: Gillette Blue (2)
ASL: Fine Snake Bite

Another fine shave! :cornut:

Fine Slant Razor SOTD
SOTD-FS-G_2020-09-23.jpg

Brush: Simpson Duke D1-Pure
Soap: Fine L'Orange Noir
Blade: Gillette Blue (3)

A nice shave! :biggrin:

EXCEPT... I cut myself! It seems like forever since I even got one of those tiny red dots that just disappear, but a CUT?! It was an accidental (i.e. not intentional) side swipe just at the point of my chin, and I certainly felt it. Of course side swipes are not to be recommended with any razor, and particularly not with a torqued slant.

It looks like my SWB got grubby without me noticing it. It's in the wash now.

There's usually a reason for everything, so I guess it was just a reminder that relaxing is fine but letting one's awareness drop isn't.

Happy shaves guys! :001_smile

Fine Slant Razor SOTD
SOTD-FS-W_2020-09-24.jpg

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Soap: Fine Snake Bite
Blade: Gillette Blue (4)

A fine shave! :laugh:

My new soap arrived today (to match the ASL). It was a very cool shave (pun intended).

Shaving around yesterday's accidental cut was a bit tedious. From the look of it I won't be able to shave over that area for about a week. It's kinda boring, like getting lines from the teacher, but that'll larn me. :yesnod: Looking on the bright side, it might help tweak my technique too. :smile1:

Fine Slant Razor SOTD
SOTD-FS-B_2020-09-25.jpg

Blade: Gillette Blue (5)

Another fine shave! :laugh:

This is beginning to look like an advertising campaign for Fine... but I assure you it isn't. I'm just enjoying their products, with the shiny Fine Slant Razor at the top of my list.

You said that you’ve never used a Wunderbar, have you ever used a PBOCS?
Rather than answer that question directly, I'll point you to a little thread I started 3½ years ago, HERE.
How does it compare if you have?
The Bakelite PBOCS is more aggressive than the aluminum FSR. It's also half the weight and an open comb... so really, a completely different razor (therefore tricky to compare).

Fine Slant Razor SOTD
SOTD-FS-Y_2020-09-26.jpg

Brush: Shavemac 20/47 Silvertip 2-Band
Blade: Gillette Blue (6)

A very fine shave! :cornut:

Fine Slant Razor SOTD
SOTD-FS-K_2020-09-27.jpg

Brush: Shavemac 18/44 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Soap: Vitos Red
Blade: Gillette Blue (7)
ASL: Reuzel

Back with some old friends today resulting in (surprise) an excellent shave! :cornut:

I've enjoyed the Fine Snake Bite chilling fun, but I think that'll be just occasional use for me. I love the (albeit faint) marzipan scent of good ol' Vitos Red, and the apple/lard scent of Reuzel is really nice to finish off with. Of course, different noses will detect different scents to mine. Ain't we a strange bunch? :crazy:

Happy shaves all y'all. :biggrin:

Fine Slant Razor SOTD
SOTD-FS-W_2020-10-03.jpg

Brush: (New) Omega 11047 Mixed Midget
Cream: CRS Classic Almond
Blade: Silver Star (4)
ASL: Fine L'Orange Noir

A very fine shave. :biggrin:

TL;DRers stop here. :wink2:

All very nice gear, including my brand new Omega Mixed Midget. No doubt having been left for a few years with its last soap glued to its hairs and bristles by the chemicals in my extra hard water... my original one started to shed in a major kinda way. So I thanked it for its service and placed it gently in the bin. Then after a couple of days grieving I ordered a new one.

I'm amazed that after a standard "Cal brush prep (1½ hours)" my new Mixed Midget feels completely broken in, and lots of the boar bristles have new split ends. It took my original Mixed Midget AGES to get to that stage; but it never had the benefit of citric acid treated water.

Fine Slant Razor SOTD
SOTD-FS-B_2020-10-04.jpg

Blade: Silver Star (5)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

Another super shave. :biggrin:

Fine Slant Razor SOTD
SOTD-FS-Y_2020-10-07.jpg

Blade: Silver Star (6)
ASL: Clubman VIBR

A good shave. :001_smile

With three days (heavy) growth my new lightweight :001_wub: reminded me that "no pressure" is really a bit of a joke. So more technique tweaking is required on my part. I hadn't properly noticed this before, as the longest I'd gone between shaves with the Fine Slant previously was two days. That was the 20th consecutive shave, so I intend continuing my training to at least 30 consecutive shaves.

I have a plastic version, superlite or something like that. Yeah, be careful with that thing. I'm not sure anything called snake bite is smart to use after this slant, but then to each their own pain. A wicked shaver. Recommended, but use caution. Real BBS too.

Top Bottom