What's new

I Smoke Big Butts and I Can Not Lie

So I've done some small to medium smokes on the new grille, but I picked up a 9 pound pork shoulder I plan to smoke up tomorrow. It's tucked away in the fridge getting comfy with its rub tonight

IMG_20200918_221100.jpg

I hope it ends up as great as it smells now

I’ve done 2 pork butts since getting a smoker in August, 4lb and 9 lb (bone in). Both turned out great, they just take a lot longer. Seem to be much more forgiving than brisket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Pork also helps 'season' the inside of a smoker. Don't be afraid to crank it up to 275° or so. Pork can take it and it knocks hours off the smoke.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
No need to check tenderness on a butt. 190° if you plan to slice, 200-205° if you're going to pull it.

You've inspired me to smoke a butt tomorrow!

No need to check tenderness on a butt. 190° if you plan to slice, 200-205° if you're going to pull it.

You've inspired me to smoke a butt tomorrow!
You've inspired me to sing " I smoke big butts and I can not lie" every time I go to the grill

So my temp started to drop, I opened vents and it started to drop again... Dang it, didn't put enough charcoal in. Had to pull the meat, the grill, the defelcter pan gathering juice (which I stole while I was there) to add more. It all went well and is back in business thank goodness.

Anyway, here's some crack from where we're at
IMG_20200919_172357.jpg
IMG_20200919_172336.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I may be wrong (someone correct me if I am), but by that point you could have moved to the oven. The pork likely had taken all the smoke it was going to.

I may be wrong (someone correct me if I am), but by that point you could have moved to the oven. The pork likely had taken all the smoke it was going to.
I could have. Millard or whatever it is is done, it's just the whole feel like cheating thing

Top Bottom