What's new

Lets see your favorite chef's knife.

A Bill Burke, MS, I got awhile back.
101655_5_x.jpg

This is a tough question as many years ago I went down the rabbit hole of fine kitchen cutlery, primarily Japanese boutique and custom designs from American blade smiths.

Here's how I store all but my most highly prized knives in my kitchen.

proxy.php

My favorite kitchen knife of all time is my one of a kind, commissioned boning knife by Michael Rader M.S. The blade is made out of 52100 and has an integral bolster forged into it. The handle is made out of fossilized walrus penis LOL, it's truly a work of art.

proxy.php

My favorite chef knife is my Shigefusa 240mm Gyuto with friction fit saya. Shigefusa and Kato are in my opinion, the two ultimate Japanese traditional blade smiths to own a knife from.

proxy.php

My second favorite chef knife, this time made by the father and son duo HHH Custom Knives. The core is 52100, obviously I love that steel for kitchen cutlery, wrapped sanmai style with damascus steel.

proxy.php
Beautiful Collection!

I have a lot of knives, but the ones I use every day are the ones I learned to cook on - and you can find them by the scads in most good restaurants... these two are the Dexter 8" Chef's knife and the Dexter paring knife. These two - well - and possibly the 8" Dexter serrated general purpose knife can do almost every general purpose cooking task. Filleting a fish and cutting bread would be a stretch... and shears and something more weighty for chopping would be very handy, and maybe a boner if there was a lot of red meat on the menu, but these inexpensive knives are fantastic. If you don't want to break the bank but you want good results, they're a great way to go. I think the Chef's knife is under $30 and the paring knives are about $6 each.

I put the "fine art" black and white filter on the photo to dress it up a little as I know these are pedestrian knives. But they take a wicked edge and they're light and grippy whether wet or dry. I love them and have been using them so long that anything else feels off. My diamond steel is almost sans-diamond it's been used so much - but Dexter has a decent diamond steel for about $50. No, I don't work for them. But if I were daft enough to go back to cooking (he** no.. it's a young man's sport - it's hot and you work flat-out for hours at a time) I'd be swinging these.

artistic-dexters.jpeg

Top Bottom