Wedge Wednesday
9/16/20
💈SOTN💈
Razor: J.A. Henckels 33 Near Wedge Solingen
Brush: Rubberset 200-2 Two Band Badger knot
Lather: WSP Formula T Bay Rum
Astringent: Osma Alum block
Aftershave Splash: Ogallala Bay Rum Lime and Peppercorn
Nothing like a good ol straight razor shave to end the day. This J. A. Henckels #33 near wedge is the first straight razor that I learned with and it's still my favorite one to use. Such a smooth, comfortable, close shave every time I use it. I just love Solingen Steel especially in a wedge.
20200916_175314.jpg

Took my new (to me) Pechika for a test this morning. I received it over the weekend and gave it a touch up on the films, but today was my first shave with it.

Not the best shave I've had. I think I need to take it back to bevel set and then through the progression.

I did notice the steel seems to be comparable to my Björklund in hardness, unless I made a hames of my earlier honing attempt. That is a possibility, but given the only other razor that I had to spend as much time on was the little Swede I think it is just are steel. Once I get a good edge it should hold it for a while.
IMG_20200916_125556.jpg

Filli 14 synth edge and MDC Agrumes.
nice filli with clean bevel, shave was great (12k synth testing the razor. Finished on kiita after). Felt weird shaving with such a monster when I am use to my 5/8 lovely mk4. Enjoyed the razor and it will make a nice weekend shaver, still prefer my fast and nimble helje.

First time using the MDC Agrumes and I loved the scent so much. I have the fougere as well and love it. Will definitely be rotatating between the two for my shaves.

20200917_131120.jpg

Filli 14 synth edge and MDC Agrumes.
nice filli with clean bevel, shave was great (12k synth testing the razor. Finished on kiita after). Felt weird shaving with such a monster when I am use to my 5/8 lovely mk4. Enjoyed the razor and it will make a nice weekend shaver, still prefer my fast and nimble helje.

First time using the MDC Agrumes and I loved the scent so much. I have the fougere as well and love it. Will definitely be rotatating between the two for my shaves.

View attachment 1156270
33A9434A-59D1-4568-B5EA-6D30E43789BA.gif

After a run of blind testing different finished edges, I got to just shave.

This Friodur is new to me, via BST and @Robert Anderson . The blade and edge looked very, very nice. Passed an HHT all across the blade, not that I am a big fan of the HHT. Today I finally had time to give it the pasted balsa strop progression, then strop on linen and horsehide and shave. This is a fine edge. It will not see a hone of mine unless the pasted balsa can't keep it at this level.

J.A. Henckels Friodur 472 1/2, 13/16
C08B116C-B3A4-4B16-A8D4-DF62A7580542.jpeg

This one fully lived up to the Friodur reputation for top quality shaves.

Top Bottom