What's new

I've created a monster!!! Pic heavy.

Actually I created a a solution to the age old debate of which is better, Tabac or Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap.

There are many reasons why one would argue in favor of one over the other.
The fragrance, ease of lathering, longevity of the shop as a whole, slickness, and post shave skin feel.

These reasons for choosing one soap over the other are all subjective since it boils down to the individual users personal preferences and experiences.

My solution still falls under this subjectivenes, but will hopefully bridge the gap between the two groups!

I took a puck of both Tabac and MWF shaving soap and throughly and irreversibly combined them into a new soap.
I first finely grated them with a zester.
View attachment 1115079
Then, in a double boiler, did what soap makers call rebatching, and slowly over the span of about 30 minutes, melted the two soap together until a smooth pudding consistancy was achieved.
I did need to add about 1/2 cup of distilled water to achieve this, but through evaporation in the cooking process,most of this water disappeared.
View attachment 1115080
View attachment 1115081
As soon as the soap was 100% incorporated together I had to quickly spoon the contents into a container.
Though blistering hot, like lead, the soap immediately started firming up.
View attachment 1115083
View attachment 1115084
After allowing the the soap to cool for q few hours covered in my freezer to speed up the cooling process, I proceeded to lather it up for a test shave.
I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to create an abundance of lather. Much easier and quicker than either of the two soaps on their own, even under optimal conditions.
View attachment 1115085

So my notable observation of this Frankensoap are as follows:
- lathers easier and quicker than the two soaps on their own
- supper slick
- not nearly as thirsty
- the lather stays hydrated longer on the face
- the fragrance of the Tabac becomes more mild, but remains the top note with the subtle bottom note of the fragrance of MWF
- creates over 1/2 pound of long lasting soap that is very firm, just not triple milled firm since I don't have access to the equipment to do this.

Hopefully I didn't bore you with this very long thread, and I hope that some of you give this a try if you have the means and equipment to do so.
Dave, you remain a crazy but thoroughly enjoyable friend. IT’S ALIVE!

Awesome! I have done something similar (but far less refined than your solution!) I stuck the Tabac puck in the center of an old tub, I grated up the Fat, and pressed it in around the Tabac puck. I call it TabacFat and I love it. It takes the best qualities of both and makes one soap that rises above all :)
IMG_0670.jpg

Awesome! I have done something similar (but far less refined than your solution!) I stuck the Tabac puck in the center of an old tub, I grated up the Fat, and pressed it in around the Tabac puck. I call it TabacFat and I love it. It takes the best qualities of both and makes one soap that rises above all :)
View attachment 1118099
It's definitely great stuff! Now I'm thinking about other triple milled shaving soap that would benefit from being throughly liquified and mixed together.
I may need to look into getting my hands on a NOS puck of Old Spice Shaving soap to use in another frankinsoap. I'd bet there'd be more than one purest that would be like, "you did what with what, you've gone mad and lost your mind! "

It's definitely great stuff! Now I'm thinking about other triple milled shaving soap that would benefit from being throughly liquified and mixed together.
I may need to look into getting my hands on a NOS puck of Old Spice Shaving soap to use in another frankinsoap. I'd bet there'd be more than one purest that would be like, "you did what with what, you've gone mad and lost your mind! "
Vintage Old Spice and Vintage Williams Combo?

How'd that work out? I getting ready to do the same thing with the Schafmilch vegan version I think.
I got the idea to do it from other B&B members that discussed it long before I tried it. I believe the Haslinger Schafmilch I used was the non-tallow version, & it worked great. Combining the two gave me the benefits of the easy lathering Haslinger is famous for, & the MWF gave me the skin treatment properties it's known for. I call this a win-win!

@DCRIII did you use full pucks of both (equal parts)? I have new pucks of MWF, Tabac, and Haslinger. I plan to get a few shaves out of each of them individually, but I'm thinking about grating the 3 of them together. I would probably just grate and combine, though. I don't really have the comfort or confidence to do any rebatching. I would be afraid to burn the soap or add too much water.

@DCRIII did you use full pucks of both (equal parts)? I have new pucks of MWF, Tabac, and Haslinger. I plan to get a few shaves out of each of them individually, but I'm thinking about grating the 3 of them together. I would probably just grate and combine, though. I don't really have the comfort or confidence to do any rebatching. I would be afraid to burn the soap or add too much water.

I can't speak to the Tabac but when I mixed MWF with Haslinger Schafmilch, the full pick of Haslinger is just about half the size of the MWF. So I used a half puck of MWF and a full puck of Haslinger. I just grated them, mixed the two dry shavings together and then pressed it all into a TOBS bowl. Worked extremely well.

I'd love to do something like this, but I would catch hell for "ruining" whatever got used for the double-boiler... :crying:

Looks like I'll just stick with the "grate-and-press" method. :surrender:

I used equal parts of each soap. I didn't want either to do more lifting than the other.
As for rebatching soap, it is certainly a fine art. I failed miserably the first few times I gave it a go.

Top Bottom