What's new

2020 Rocnel Sailor adjustable razor production model

This is the latest Rocnel Sailor 2020 adjustable razor. It is similar to the 2020 sailor limited edition of which 4 prototypes were made and that has been featured on the forums. It is currently in its second batch of production that has just been shipped.

It is made of 316L stainless steel. It is only fractionally outweighed by the Hone 15 brass razor but it is certainly one of the most hefty and heaviest razors hat I have ever seen.

Its fit and finish appear excellent to me. The finishing is unusual as it is based on the zaratsu method that ws used on Grand seiko watches. Differnt facets of the razor are finishes differently. For example the top cap has three planes - the top and the two sloping sides. The top is brushed satin finish but the sloping faces have a rougher machine polish finish type while the sides are mirror polished.
The adjustment ring is plated in 24k Gold while the end cap in the tail has a 3 dimensional engraving of the letters of the name of the razor that is also plated in 24k gold. The engraving is amazing in its intricate and execution- at first I thought it was merely a flat 2 dimensional disc that was etched. However when I looked at an angle the fact that it is actually a 3D engraving became clear. Murat told me that his original plan has been to put the customers name in the end cap but that would have taken too long to execute. These 24k features and the end cap are unique to the production model.

The aesthetic design is what drew me to this razor in the first place despite its reputation for being a large gap razor. Unlike the 2019 rocnel sailor that looked not too different from rex ambassador for example to me, the 2020 model has an entirely different top cap design. Instead of a dome cap it has as I said three planes on the top cap and a base plate design that make it look like an abrams tank fused with a Bugatti veyron! Suffice to say it looks very nice to me.
The feel in the hand is very different from any other razor - even the Hone 15. It feels very weighty and substantial- like holding a tactical weapon rather than a grooming product. In terms of balance a little more length in the handle may be more ideal. It is not head heavy like the pils though as the handle has substantial weigh.

The packaging is exemplary for a razor. It came in a wrapped plastic tupperware type container that housed a brown paper wrapped wooden box. The wooden box is the type of lacquered wooden box with curved edges that normally come with fine fountain pens and jewellery. The razor itself was within the box wrapped in sealed plastic bags and tagged with a holographic serial number sticker.
Each razor has it's own serial number and this number is also engraved on the razor.
There is only one slight thing out of place that i noticed so far in that when in fully closed position, the dot on the adjustment ring that marks the beginning position does not align exactly with its counter part on the razor itself.

I will post on the shaving performance later as I am still trying it out to understand how to use it best.

Last edited:

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I just discussed this razor with people today, and I look forward to seeing your experience and photos.
I am curious whether it will pop up during the disassembly process like the previous versions.

Thank you so much for sharing :)

I just discussed this razor with people today, and I look forward to seeing your experience and photos.
I am curious whether it will pop up during the disassembly process like the previous versions.

Thank you so much for sharing :)

Thanks ERS4. The razor head does not become a missile! I believe Murat fixed that issue already and the top cap for this model comes off like any other razor. It must be put back the right side though so that it will align correctly with the baseline dot.

I should also say that a Bugatti veyron is not a good analogy as it has too many curves. A lamborghini is a better analogy in terms of its design philosophy.

20200916_162119.jpg

Sorry for the poor photos through my camera but much nicer ones are obtainable through the internet and on the forums.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Thanks again for your feedback and sharing, I am glad to know that they have solved the "missile" problem. ;)

The appearance of the 2020 sailor is truly luxurious and restrained-very beautiful.
As a former navy, I admire his sailor hat shape and sea anchor logo very much.

Thanks again for your feedback and sharing, I am glad to know that they have solved the "missile" problem. ;)

The appearance of the 2020 sailor is truly luxurious and restrained-very beautiful.
As a former navy, I admire his sailor hat shape and sea anchor logo very much.

LOL I never realised the profile of the side of he razor resembles a sailor cap until you pointed it out...thanks!👍

That is just gorgeous. How does it shave for you?
Thanks it sure does the job looks wise.

This is my first adjustable razor so I'm still figuring it out. I shaved with the top cap reversed the first time so I only started shaving properly with it the second day. The blade looks like it has substantial positive exposure and it is capable of vast gaps so I have been treating it with much respect.

Despite that it is smooth feeling at the lowest two settings. It is not mild feeling like feather asd2 though -there is significant blade feel at all times but it us not uncomfortable at all. You do know that you cannot take liberties or it will cut you!

In that sense it is a departure from almost all my razors that are mild feeling and is like the paragon diamondback in that sense only more so. I have been wondering though weather a more efficient razor will ultimately give less razor burn compared to a mild razor if buffing is avoided. The sailor will give as much efficiency as I imagin anyone will reasonably require! I am keeping ithe progression to higher settings more deliberate and step by step because I have particularly sensitive skin that is easily cut by shaving and I am a daily shaver on top of that.

Wow, it looks like it would weigh five pounds!

I believe it has been said to be 170 to 180g in weight though I havent weighed it yet myself. Not the heaviest razor I have, though it comes very close. Where it is markedly different from any other razor is how solid it feels. Most other razors seem to feel almost flimsy or toy like by comparison - it feels very capable.

If disney wants to give the fictitious Avenger thor a razor to shave with in a marvel universe film, I reckon the 2020 sailor would be perfect LOL he may even be able to use t as a weapon if his hammer is not available:)

"There is only one slight thing out of place that i noticed so far in that when in fully closed position, the dot on the adjustment ring that marks the beginning position does not align exactly with its counter part on the razor itself."
Everything is right. The point coincides with the beginning after the blade is inserted into the razor.

"There is only one slight thing out of place that i noticed so far in that when in fully closed position, the dot on the adjustment ring that marks the beginning position does not align exactly with its counter part on the razor itself."
Everything is right. The point coincides with the beginning after the blade is inserted into the razor.

Thanks vvval. I was about to ask Murat abot that actually because when I loaded a blade the starting point was never at the dot but at around the I setting. Is that I a true setting when the blade is loaded or Is it fully closed?

Blade loaded and fully closed=0

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

When I load the blade and close the head and fully tighten the handle, the razor is already at setting I.

I assume by setting 0 you are referring to the 3D circle that is fixed ot the handle?

Top Bottom