What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Several splashes of hot water
lathered TOBS sandalwood with a BK4
two passes plus touchup with a UK packaged PIR on day 3
hot shower
4711 cologne as after shave

8.5/10

Reasonably smooth, very quick shave. Thinking of moving to a slightly more aggressive razor. Also noticing more variability in the Personnas of late. This pack tends to drag a bit.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I had a shower shave today that barely rated a "1".... When my face stops yelling at me I'll relate the whole story!
It was a "Bic Metal" that @JeffJ gave me in a PIF. At least I'm 99% certain he did. Like a dummy it's the first one of the whole pack he sent me. Must've been 2 or 3 years ago! Just sitting in my shower all this time, with who knows how many "quick" shaves under it's belt! (Or whether or not my wife or son grabbed it and used it in a pinch!)

The last time I used it had to be a year ago, but I was in a rush for the doctor appointment I had. I used some "Brut" bar soap. My face was on FIRE! Amazingly, it gave a close shave though. But I think I will be digging into my "shower shaver disposable" razor bag for my next shower shave. Or just NEVER doing that again!

Hey! Does that shave count for a SEptember SE shave?

FarmerTan

DE SOTD, Tue, Sept 15th 2020

Razor: Razorock German 37 slant-Mfg 2016> excellent mid range razor, very efficient and with good technique performs well :001_wub: . You might have to adjust the blade to top cap but no big problem IMO. 2 pass with pickups.
Blade: Personna red (4) always a great blade and performs the best with my slant razors.
Soap: Razorock XXX- just enjoy the scent and excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm Sargrada Familia- named after a famous cathedral in Barcelona Spain, excellent brush
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock XXX aftershave with Witch Hazel + a small dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=:a17:Excellent shave with my RR German 37 slant & Personna red blade.

DE SOTD. Tue, Sept,15th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!
Those are excellent razors. My only problem is the threads on mine were "wonky." I switched over to a plastic China made handle and have had no problem since.

FarmerTan

Seriously though, comrade...hope you're ok.
Lol, I learned my lesson my friend: stop shower shaving! As little time as I spent with my Doc I doubt she found my incredibly handsome face any less handsome covered with stubble or not! Lol, gone are the days of a general practitioner having time to "chat!"

Razor: GEM PushButton (Silver)
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (8)
Brush: Simpsons: Special 1 Best Badger 20mm
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Saponificio Bignoli -Antica Ricetta
Aftershave: Zaharoff Signature (Splash)

Additional Care:
Innisfree No-Sebum Face Powder
1BA686F2-105C-47DE-B2E0-6992A1DE4AAD.jpeg

Shave Rating: 9.8/10
Silver Equals Gold
Now that I’ve shaved with both a silver and a gold plated GEM PushButton I can aver with total confidence that both shave equally and either plating will bring you shaving bliss. I only wish it came with another plating option so I would have a reason for purchasing a third. I know it looks more modern and doesn’t have that “roaring twenties” look of the Juniors, but it lays down a super smooth shave that cannot be denied. I know you probably heard me saying all the same things when I used my gold PushButton, but there’s not much else to say except “BRAVO”👏👏👏.

I seem to have perfectly matched up my brush and soap today. Everything felt just right. I can’t say enough about this Bignoli - Antica Ricetta soap. This is Bignoli’s first and only tallow soap, and it excels in all aspect. This soap lathers up easily as it is as soft as a TOBS cream.

Eight shaves on my GEM (Personna) PTFE blade and the edge is still silky smooth.👍

Take Care and ... Be Aware!

Shave #2: I couldn't help myself. You'll understand
Rating: 7/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - OPR Bay Rum soap
Soap: Zingari Man The Explorer (from a sample)
Brush: Parker Badger
Razor: Feather SS Artist Club
Blade: Feather Artist Club Professional (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Thayers Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger Face Tonic
AS: None

Being that this morning was a kind of half shave...and the Feather shavette and blades I ordered arrived today, I decided to dive in for my first shave with a shavette. Not bad...one minor weeper. I did two passes with minor touch up. I felt comfortable with it shaving downward with the grain. I felt uncertain with it on the second pass up and against the grain. Cross grain I decided to leave for another day...perhaps this Saturday. All in all, not bad. It's much easier to shave with a safety razor, but I feel that, in time, I'll square it away, pick up confidence and speed and enjoy it much more than I did this evening.

Happy Shaves, Everyone!
You give me a nudge to give my Feather SS Artist Club another shot. Ive only used it the one time, and it wasn’t pretty. I’ll have to get back up on that horse again.

Sept. 14, 2020 - Incredible Icarus
Can't go wrong with Chaipre in Icarus. I find icarus quite easy to use as it's a base I'm used to: takes a little longer to load (as it's a harder puck) but when loaded with enough water, it lathers up very quickly and forms a thick, smooth lather. I personally prefer it over milksteak. Anyway, great shave today as the scent here is one of my favourites.

RFB is was good today - I wasn't as conscious about the open comb feel while shaving. I think I'm getting used to it. Overall, great shave.

Panda is a nice scent - the initial blast of apple goes away quickly leaving a 'softer' scent that smells like a green scent to me - light and not overpowering. It's a good one but not my fav from the zoologist set I have.

I'd give this one a 9/10 shave today.

proxy.php

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
You give me a nudge to give my Feather SS Artist Club another shot. Ive only used it the one time, and it wasn’t pretty. I’ll have to get back up on that horse again.

Honestly, it's work compared to safety razor shaving. I had what I would describe as a good first experience with it...but it's markedly different for sure. I had one very minor weeper, but other than that it was clean. But I didn't do anything with it cross grain. Just not there yet. Will take time to get used to and learn. At this stage I don't think I want to get into stropping and honing and all that...which makes the shavette thing kind of ideal. It's sharp though! Oh-daddy-oh is it sharp!

Pre-shave:- Imperial leather
Bowl/Scuttle:- Earthenware

Brush:- Bristle

Soap/Cream:- Own brew

Razor/Blade:- Gillette Tech and Merkur

Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix to keep my allure

Fragrance:- Lacoste

Old Bristle brush was a bit rough but did the job 9/10

10.jpg

Razor: Gem Contour II
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Simpson's Butterscotch Chubby 2 Synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Long Rifle Brown Bess
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating 9.5
PSX_20200914_074550.jpg

Tuesday Shave

Pre-Shave: Wet my face with warm water
Razor: 1976 Gillette W4 Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Wilkerson Sword Saloon Pack (made in India)
Brush: Semogue 830 Boar
Soap: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
AS: Captain's Choice Bay Rum

Been waiting to post this shave!!!
Got my Dad's 1976 W4 back from restoration yesterday, and of course I had to try it this morning!
It was restored by Razor Emporium (before I found out about several other restoration places) in a satin nickel finish. Not sure why they did it in satin instead of bright, but it still looks great! They refinished the doors, the guard, and the top of the handle where it is swaged to the guard. They left the black on the handle original.

Now, I have used several Super Speeds, and knew that I was in for a good shave, but this one was even better!
My Semogue brush made a great lather with the Captain's Choice Bay Rum, and quickly.
The Gillette Wilkerson Sword is a great blade. Kinda wish I didn't have hundreds of other blades to go through, but I do, so this blade will be put through several shaves before I go back to churning through the others. Ended up with a nice, close, smooth shave. Yes, still have some stubble in the problem areas, but nothing has been able to give me a 100% BBS shave yet, and I'm okay with it.
After the shave, I used the matching splash, and even with such a close shave, I didn't get a painful burn. It was just the perfect amount to let me know I got a damn fine shave.
No nicks. No weepers. If every shave from here on out is like this, I'll be happy.
Is the excitement/joy of finally using my Dad's razor a factor in the score? Of course! But not enough of one to really make me feel like this isn't a legit rating.
It's a very close, very comfortable shave.

10/10.

IMG_5734.JPG

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Sept. 14, 2020 - Incredible Icarus
Can't go wrong with Chaipre in Icarus. I find icarus quite easy to use as it's a base I'm used to: takes a little longer to load (as it's a harder puck) but when loaded with enough water, it lathers up very quickly and forms a thick, smooth lather. I personally prefer it over milksteak. Anyway, great shave today as the scent here is one of my favourites.

RFB is was good today - I wasn't as conscious about the open comb feel while shaving. I think I'm getting used to it. Overall, great shave.

Panda is a nice scent - the initial blast of apple goes away quickly leaving a 'softer' scent that smells like a green scent to me - light and not overpowering. It's a good one but not my fav from the zoologist set I have.

I'd give this one a 9/10 shave today.

proxy.php

Beautiful brush! I've never even heard of Jefferson Tobias brushes.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Those are excellent razors. My only problem is the threads on mine were "wonky." I switched over to a plastic China made handle and have had no problem since.
You are right, What I do with any razor that gives me a little grief when threading handle into a head is turn counter clockwise until I feel the start of the thread and then turn clock wise and 95% of the time handle will find the start of thread properly.
I have threaded my RR German 37 slant many times and there is a little trouble once in a while like a lot of my 3 pc razors.

1600192874384.jpeg

Brush: Simfix Grosvenor 2-Band Silvertip
Soap: Stirling Island Man (finished!)
Razor: Rockwell 6C, R2
Blade: Personna Med Prep

10/10: Can’t say enough about this razor. Worked very well with a fresh med prep, too! Also, this is such a great, unheralded brush.

FarmerTan

Razor: GEM PushButton (Silver)
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (8)
Brush: Simpsons: Special 1 Best Badger 20mm
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Saponificio Bignoli -Antica Ricetta
Aftershave: Zaharoff Signature (Splash)

Additional Care:
Innisfree No-Sebum Face Powder
View attachment 1155375
Shave Rating: 9.8/10
Silver Equals Gold
Now that I’ve shaved with both a silver and a gold plated GEM PushButton I can aver with total confidence that both shave equally and either plating will bring you shaving bliss. I only wish it came with another plating option so I would have a reason for purchasing a third. I know it looks more modern and doesn’t have that “roaring twenties” look of the Juniors, but it lays down a super smooth shave that cannot be denied. I know you probably heard me saying all the same things when I used my gold PushButton, but there’s not much else to say except “BRAVO”👏👏👏.

I seem to have perfectly matched up my brush and soap today. Everything felt just right. I can’t say enough about this Bignoli - Antica Ricetta soap. This is Bignoli’s first and only tallow soap, and it excels in all aspect. This soap lathers up easily as it is as soft as a TOBS cream.

Eight shaves on my GEM (Personna) PTFE blade and the edge is still silky smooth.👍

Take Care and ... Be Aware!
I've never seen a razor like that! Very cool.

Tuesday Shave

Pre-Shave: Wet my face with warm water
Razor: 1976 Gillette W4 Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Wilkerson Sword Saloon Pack (made in India)
Brush: Semogue 830 Boar
Soap: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
AS: Captain's Choice Bay Rum

Been waiting to post this shave!!!
Got my Dad's 1976 W4 back from restoration yesterday, and of course I had to try it this morning!
It was restored by Razor Emporium (before I found out about several other restoration places) in a satin nickel finish. Not sure why they did it in satin instead of bright, but it still looks great! They refinished the doors, the guard, and the top of the handle where it is swaged to the guard. They left the black on the handle original.

Now, I have used several Super Speeds, and knew that I was in for a good shave, but this one was even better!
My Semogue brush made a great lather with the Captain's Choice Bay Rum, and quickly.
The Gillette Wilkerson Sword is a great blade. Kinda wish I didn't have hundreds of other blades to go through, but I do, so this blade will be put through several shaves before I go back to churning through the others. Ended up with a nice, close, smooth shave. Yes, still have some stubble in the problem areas, but nothing has been able to give me a 100% BBS shave yet, and I'm okay with it.
After the shave, I used the matching splash, and even with such a close shave, I didn't get a painful burn. It was just the perfect amount to let me know I got a damn fine shave.
No nicks. No weepers. If every shave from here on out is like this, I'll be happy.
Is the excitement/joy of finally using my Dad's razor a factor in the score? Of course! But not enough of one to really make me feel like this isn't a legit rating.
It's a very close, very comfortable shave.

10/10.

View attachment 1155432

Forgot to add that the Old Spice mug is also my Dad's. I use it in some capacity every shave at home.
It is always used to soak whatever brush I use, and if I bowl lather, or use my Williams or VDH pucks, I use it just to have water handy if I need to add water.

Top Bottom