What's new

First Reaction to TOBS Royal Forest Cream

This morning, I opened a tub of TOBS Royal Forest I had bought at Pasteur's about 8 months ago. Fragrance was pleasant in a woodsy way. Consistency was surprisingly hard, more like croap than cream. Lather came up quickly, and it looked and felt "yogurty". In the 1st pass, the lather felt smooth going on, and it gave cushion under the razor, but it wasn't very slick. The soaps I've been using recently (Pre de Provence, Caty's Bubbles, Tabac, and Wholly Kaw regular base) all have been much slicker. For the 2nd pass I used Trumpers Skin Food as preshave, and it was a big help. All in all, the shave was just OK in both the experience and the result.
Is this cream unusually thirsty? Next time, I'll incorporate more water into the lather. Do I also need to mix a little water in the tub to loosen up the croap until it's cream? Did I do something else wrong?

I have found water ratio to be a leading factor in how slick my lathers become. Also, some soaps/creams are more "thirsty" than others. So yeah, I think adding more water is definitely a good place to start.

This is speculation on my part, as I've not tried that particular cream.

I enjoy the scent. I have a sample and didn't find any issues with performance.

I expected Royal Forest to simply be a pine or deciduous type smell (like Stirling Coniferous) but I found it to be much more nuanced and gently complex. I quite enjoy it....like taking in the smell of the whole forest, not just the trees. I plan to get a full size tub.

I agree with the less-than-enthusiastic review! And strangely, I have had a very minor burning sensation from this product. Still, I like the scent and I will use it - but won’t restock if I ever finish it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also can't seem to get a decent slickness for TOBS. One of the very first soaps I tried was a refill puck of TOBS sensitive I think it was called. I could not even get a decent lather from it. I have a tub of TOBS Mr Taylors shave cream. It is a nice scent that I like but even though I get a nice lather from it but it just doesn't provide me with the slickness/glide I get from other soaps. I have the same problem with GFT creams.

My recent ride with TOBS Royal Forest was great; excellent, slick performance; complex, greenish scent.
Shipped directly from TOBS, the cream was of a smooth consistency, not at all dry.
I wonder if your tub had lost some moisture while stored over time; you might add a tablespoon or two of distilled water.

taylor of old bond st royal forest karve royall vetiver july 13 2020.jpg

I enjoy the scent. I have a sample and didn't find any issues with performance.

I expected Royal Forest to simply be a pine or deciduous type smell (like Stirling Coniferous) but I found it to be much more nuanced and gently complex. I quite enjoy it....like taking in the smell of the whole forest, not just the trees. I plan to get a full size tub.

That's a good description of the scent. It's subtle andsoothing
My recent ride with TOBS Royal Forest was great; excellent, slick performance; complex, greenish scent.
Shipped directly from TOBS, the cream was of a smooth consistency, not at all dry.
I wonder if your tub had lost some moisture while stored over time; you might add a tablespoon or two of distilled water.

View attachment 1155097
Why distilled water?

Add a little bit of water and stir. I had to do this the other day to a tub of TOBS Jermyn Street cream. The prior tub I had of this, the cream had a soft creamy consistency. Not so with this one. With the added water and stirring, the consistency looks better now and more resembles the first tub I had.

More water mixed with the lather definitely helps. This cream is more thirsty than most. But to get good glide from this cream, I've had to use a slick preshave. I don't need to do this with Stirling, Wholly Kaw or Catie's Bubbles soap.

My experience with RF is that it's a pure cream and not a croap. I suspect the OP's tub was either old or poorly stored at the seller, causing it to change form. I think we've all run into creams in tubs like that.

I really like the RF scent. For my nose, the primary scent is citrus. I also find the cream to be just as slick as the other TOBS creams I use (Eton College, Sandalwood, Lavender).

Top Bottom