What's new

Historical sites

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thought I'd drop this here, since it involves shoot-em-ups.

What hysterical (I mean historical) kind of outlaw places have you been to?

Off the top of my head I've been to:

Jesse James home before it was moved back to its current location.

Been through Coffeyville, Ks. many times, and went to the Dalton Defender Days a couple or three years ago.

Been to Robbers Cave since I was a kid.

Been by Belle Starr's old cabin/grave site.

Been to the site that Frank James supposedly clerked in a dry goods store here, before the downtown area burnt down in 1916.

Been to Round Rock, Texas where Sam Bass was killed.

Went to the Texas Rangers museum in Waco...been through Waco many times...went through the P.D. test there.

Been to Uvalde, Tx since I was a kid...aunt and uncle lived there.

Been to, by the John Chisum grave many times...mostly when I was going to disturbance/shots fired calls at the projects across the street.

Lived in the Rieger Hotel back when it was a run down dump. Al Capone allegedly stayed there when in K.C.

Walked by the Pendergast office daily, without knowing what it used to be.

Been to the motor court here, now a trailer park, where Bonnie and Clyde left a suitcase with their names in it, apparently when they had to leave rather quickly.

Anyone been to/planning on going to any place like that?

Where would we be without our myths and stories.

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Been to Round Rock but never really thought Sam. Been through Uvalde but never stopped for more than gas. Never saw the Young Guns.

Went to the Jessie James house when it was still in St. Joseph and toured Alcatraz in the late 70's, drive by a site where Bonnie and Clyde had a gun battle everyday on the way to work.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have been to John Wayne's birthplace. I have rode motorcycle on a good portion of the Trail of Tears. I have also been to The Battle of Lexington Historic Site.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
You know your history quite well, much better than I.

Round Rock , and I can go to TV daily Mass .

I’ve been to Tombstone once. I think y’all know one of the places I visited there. Interesting place

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have been to Robbers Cave and a couple of others in your list here in Oklahoma. Have Been to Ft. Sills National Historic Landmark and Museum where the old U.S. Calvary jail where Geronimo was kept.

Been to Three Rivers museum in Muskogee and the Woolarac museum outside Bartlesville Oklahoma seeing the history and the statue of The Bandit Queen Belle Starr.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I've been to the Crater in Petersburg and Chieftains, the John Ross House, Vann House and New Echota as well as the Calhoun Mine that was a major contributing reason to move the Cherokees. Also quite a few of the Mississippian mound villages. Also been to Ford's Theater and John Ford was a great great grandfather.

Take a look online at Chieftains, the Ross House and the Vann House. It might change your view of how many Native Americans lived.

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I’ve been to Tombstone once. I think y’all know one of the places I visited there. Interesting place
Me too! If anyone is in that part of Arizona, I highly recommend making the drive out to Tombstone. And Bisbee too (looks nothing like 3:10 to Yuma).

At Tombstone, they do a re-enactment of the famous shootout at the OK Coral that is based on historical evidence and, I gather, fairly accurate. It’s interesting how close the combatants actually were, again, nothing like the movies. You wonder how anyone missed at all, and they didn’t all kill each other. I guess that’s nerves and maybe the limitations of 19th century firearms metallurgy. The whole thing was over in a few seconds. It kind of reminded me of how everyone thinks they’re going to have some kind of extended fire fight against an intruder in their house, but the FBI stats actually show the vast majority of self defense incidents are one or shots at close ranges of ten feet or less. Anyway, it’s a cool spot.

Me too! If anyone is in that part of Arizona, I highly recommend making the drive out to Tombstone. And Bisbee too (looks nothing like 3:10 to Yuma).

At Tombstone, they do a re-enactment of the famous shootout at the OK Coral that is based on historical evidence and, I gather, fairly accurate. It’s interesting how close the combatants actually were, again, nothing like the movies. You wonder how anyone missed at all, and they didn’t all kill each other. I guess that’s nerves and maybe the limitations of 19th century firearms metallurgy. The whole thing was over in a few seconds. It kind of reminded me of how everyone thinks they’re going to have some kind of extended fire fight against an intruder in their house, but the FBI stats actually show the vast majority of self defense incidents are one or shots at close ranges of ten feet or less. Anyway, it’s a cool spot.
Would like to go back again and spend some more time there. Maybe see one of the re-enactments. I reckon it probably was mostly nerves over anything else. My hometown has a few good historical places to visit. The Henry Clay estate (speaker of the house), the Todd-Lincoln house (16th First Lady), the Hunt Morgan house (CW general John Hunt Morgan) and I know John C. Breckinridge lived there

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I grew up in Austin, TX so I’ve been to Round Rock, Uvalde, the Alamo, and Gonzalez (it’s amazing how many people fly a version of the “come and take it” flag and have no idea of the history behind it) amongst others. I’ve been to Ft. Sumner and visited Billy the Kid’s grave. Gettysburg when I was kid and Wrigley field when I was older. I’ve done a bit of traveling around the US, I think it’s time to head to Europe for a while and see the places my ancestors lived.

I'm a Virginian; we can't cross the road without stumbling into some sort of historical site. Heck, I went to college in the middle of one, Colonial Williamsburg.

Eeriest place I've ever been is the battlefield at Cold Harbor - place is still as death and sent shivers down my spine. At one point you could throw a rock from one side's earthwork to the other.

And who needs to go out west for historic shoot-outs? We've got Hillsville.

Top Bottom