What's new

Cabbage Rolls?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My mother made cabbage stuffed with a combo of chopped beef, sausage, bread crumbs, chicken stock, parmesan cheese, and pine nuts. It was delicious. I wish I had the recipe and proportions.

I wish you did too lol.

This thread has opened my eyes. All my life I ate them with rice and a bit of ground beef and bacon. Straying from my mothers recipes is asking for trouble if she finds out but this thread shows otherwise.

Nope, no gravy, it's just poured into the pan with the cabbage rolls. You really should try making them with sour cabbage, you'll never eat them any other way.

This is my grandmothers very informative recipe. As you can see it leaves a lot of room to improvise.

ground beef
onion
bacon
1/4 cup rice
salt and pepper
garlic to taste
eggs

Fry ground beef, onion, and garlic until the blood is gone, add chopped bacon and eggs, add rice.
Take a leaf and spoon in some beef and rice mixture and roll up. Put these in a roaster and pour beef broth over and cover with remaining cabbage leaves to help keep moist.

Cook at 350 for an hour.

Sounds good... Onion is certainly on my list for them.

I was thinking 200F for 2-3 hours. I thought 350 might be a bit too hot but if it works...

The different types of cabbage I'm unfamiliar with. The difference between the white cabbage that I used and the Green cabbage, or whatever type it was, was surprising. The Green is much more firm and fibrous and has a stronger flavour.

The next time I make them I'll try another different type.

I grew up on the Romanian style Sweet and Sour. Something like this:

Sweet-and-Sour Stuffed Cabbage

Filling:
1 head of cabbage, frozen, about 2 pounds
2 pounds ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 large eggs
1/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 small onion, finely chopped

Sauce:
1 35-ounce can chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Salt and pepper
2 large onions, sliced
1/2 cup ketchup
2 lemons, juiced
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup raisins
1 tablespoon oil

1. Defrost the cabbage the night before cooking. When it is completely defrosted, separate the leaves.

2. To make the filling: In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, salt, pepper, eggs, rice, ketchup, and chopped onion; set aside.

3. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the filling on each cabbage leaf. Tuck the ends in and roll up like a big cigar. Place them, open side down, in a 6-quart casserole.

4. To make the sauce: Cook onions with oil in a saucepan for a few minutes, then add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste, onions, ketchup, the juice of one lemon, brown sugar, and raisins. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 15 minutes, covered.

5. Pour the sauce over the cabbage. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for one hour and a half, and then uncover for an additional half hour, adding water if too dry. Taste for sweet and sour and, if needed, squeeze the juice of the remaining lemon over all.

6. Turn the stuffed cabbage rolls onto a serving platter, spoon the sauce over, and serve. This is even more delicious the second day.

Yield: about 24 rolls

Details. Thanks!

Everything is better the second, or third, day haha.

Between the neighbors and friends I need to make around 50! lol

Its really nice to see people still cook things like this, no one I know does. I guess thats why I end up giving so much away.

Second City TV. I miss that show.

1425097281974.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My mother, my mother-in-law, and now my wife all use the recipe from Jennie Grossinger's cookbook. The only change my wife made is to skip the raisins... they are delicious tho... Jewish Stuffed Cabbage in a Pot Ala Grossingers Recipe - Food.com - https://www.food.com/recipe/jewish-stuffed-cabbage-in-a-pot-ala-grossingers-365512

A Jewish recipe hmmm. My mother and her mother, both Hungarian, made them the same way. Rice, ground beef and bacon. A friends wife is Polish and both her and her mother make them the same way but I dont know what they used for the stuffing, yet.

I guess its a regional taste thing and each region does it their own way. Old style cooking.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Think of it as a cabbage roll, your filling and sauce may vary.............so many options

Endless yeah. I'm thinking a spicy/hot Italian style. Peppers, onions, garlic, spicy seasoned ground beef and pork. I need to remember tomato paste for the sauce.

Endless yeah. I'm thinking a spicy/hot Italian style. Peppers, onions, garlic, spicy seasoned ground beef and pork. I need to remember tomato paste for the sauce.
You can use ragu or whatever you like, add can of crushed tomatoes. cook simmering, leftovers can be frozen and reheated later , thaw and add sauce, and nuke. Just finished up the last batch we made.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You can use ragu or whatever you like, add can of crushed tomatoes. cook simmering, leftovers can be frozen and reheated later , thaw and add sauce, and nuke. Just finished up the last batch we made.

I normally use canned "Diced and Spiced" tomatoes with paste in my sauces. I see no reason why I couldnt when making these either.

I spoke to my sister today and she said this is similar to what our mother did for stuffed cabbage.

Ingredients

½ lb. chopped beef
½ lb. ground sausage
Garlic, chopped to taste
1/2 cup of diced onions
Olive oil
White raisins
Italian parsley
Handful pine nuts
Chicken stock
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
Steamed cabbage leaves

Brown onions and garlic in olive oil and remove to a large pam. Brown the beef and sausage and add to the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix with chicken stock until moist but not overly wet. Brown a handful of pine nuts and add to mixture with a handful of white raisins, parsley, and Parmesan cheese. Simmer all the ingredients for about 15 minutes stirring all the ingredients. Stuff the mixture into cabbage leaves that have been steamed. Put some sauce in a large baking dish and place stuffed cabbage leaves into the dish and cover with some marinara sauce. Go light on the sauce. Bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Tomato and chili peppers?

Yeah, plus oregano, basil and a few other things.
I spoke to my sister today and she said this is similar to what our mother did for stuffed cabbage.

Ingredients

½ lb. chopped beef
½ lb. ground sausage
Garlic, chopped to taste
1/2 cup of diced onions
Olive oil
White raisins
Italian parsley
Handful pine nuts
Chicken stock
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
Steamed cabbage leaves

Brown onions and garlic in olive oil and remove to a large pam. Brown the beef and sausage and add to the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix with chicken stock until moist but not overly wet. Brown a handful of pine nuts and add to mixture with a handful of white raisins, parsley, and Parmesan cheese. Simmer all the ingredients for about 15 minutes stirring all the ingredients. Stuff the mixture into cabbage leaves that have been steamed. Put some sauce in a large baking dish and place stuffed cabbage leaves into the dish and cover with some marinara sauce. Go light on the sauce. Bake for 30 minutes at 325 degrees.

Thanks Jim!

Tonights menu.

1 boneless pork loin chop. Trimmed and sliced into 1/4" thick strips while a cast iron pan was sitting on my gas burner at maximum heat.

Salt, pepper and garlic on both sides of the strips. 1 tbl spoon peanut oil into the pan. Strips in, heat still at max. Fast heavy sear and flip. 2 tbls spoons butter in for basting. Heat off, a good dousing of Worcestershire sauce and out of the pan on top of 3 cabbage rolls. Scrape the pan and pour the sauce over dish.

IMG_3318.JPG

That there, was tasty. Cheap eating, but living rich.

I've decided I dont like the Green cabbage or whatever kind it was. It doesnt soften as well as White cabbage when cooked.

Chili without beans is just meat sauce. :eek2:
Waiting for the chili purists?
Not a purist here, but beanless chili, especially with ground meat, is perfect as a dip for corn tortillas chips.
I make mine using a blend of ground beef, lamb, pork, and bison with ground oatmeal as a thinker.

As for cabbage rolls, either I just don't care for them, or my mother is a horrible cook fo this recipe and I've never had any that taste good. I'm willing to give my mother the benefit of doubt.

Not a purist here, but beanless chili, especially with ground meat, is perfect as a dip for corn tortillas chips.
I make mine using a blend of ground beef, lamb, pork, and bison with ground oatmeal as a thinker.

As for cabbage rolls, either I just don't care for them, or my mother is a horrible cook fo this recipe and I've never had any that taste good. I'm willing to give my mother the benefit of doubt.
Well if you like it as a dip, we normally use cool ranch doritos, salsa, and shredded monterey jack cheese. occasionally we will add leftover seasoned hamburg taco and sprinkle it over the batch, this we have a 9x12 microwaveable pan, put all the chips, sauce, toppings, meat etc then cheese and nuke it till most of the cheese melts.
you can use the chili sauce in place of salsa if you wanted,,,

Ingredients

½ lb. chopped beef
½ lb. ground sausage
Garlic, chopped to taste
1/2 cup of diced onions
Olive oil
White raisins
Italian parsley
Handful pine nuts
Chicken stock
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
Steamed cabbage leaves

I would have to say this is the same recipe my mother used, or very close.....So Damn Good!!!

Chili without beans is just meat sauce. :eek2:
I must respectfully disagree. I will eat the beans, if I have to. But I much prefer it without. Of course, it definitely needs some corn bread to go with it. However, to each their own.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom