What's new

A Bakker's Dozen

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Thanks . . . I am really glad I took the suggestion (I forget from whom, but they have my thanks nonetheless).

I have only put five or six loads through it, but I can see the colour changing from when I first took it out of the bag. I doubt the colour change will be as dramatic as a Meerschaum can be, but I am quite pleased nonetheless,, and look forward to watching it progress. I can also see another Morgan in my future, at some point. Though a Savinelli or Rossi is likely next.
When I’m looking for a really good pipe and want to pay top price, I search for an estate pipe on eBay. I actually prefer estates to new because they are already broken in. If you choose to take that route, you can’t go wrong with the “Pipe Club” offerings. He does superb restorations and stands behind his product. I’ve bought three from him recently and was amazed with the quality. They are polished and sterile. I found out about him via Ben, the Artful Codger. They are all “Buy it Now” so there is no bidding involved.

One thing I am discovering about my Missouri Meerschaums, and I am not sure I like it, is that after they have been used, the stem is VERY stiff in terms of reinserting into the shank after cleaning. To the point that, sometimes, I dab a little cooking oil onto the stem to facilitate it's entry.

It's weird, because they come apart and reattach easy enough when unsmoked, but as soon as you smoke them . . . "tight". And I leave them for a few hours to cool before taking them apart, sometimes overnight.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
One thing I am discovering about my Missouri Meerschaums, and I am not sure I like it, is that after they have been used, the stem is VERY stiff in terms of reinserting into the shank after cleaning. To the point that, sometimes, I dab a little cooking oil onto the stem to facilitate it's entry.

It's weird, because they come apart and reattach easy enough when unsmoked, but as soon as you smoke them . . . "tight". And I leave them for a few hours to cool before taking them apart, sometimes overnight.
There's no need to your pipe each smoke. I only take mine down about once every 1-2 months for a deep cleaning. In fact, I wouldn't recommend taking them down after each smoke.

There's no need to your pipe each smoke. I only take mine down about once every 1-2 months for a deep cleaning. In fact, I wouldn't recommend taking them down after each smoke.

Why is that? Loosening of the fit?

I am not an everyday smoker, so I clean them because it might be some time before I reuse them. My thinking is get rid of the gunk before it sets in.

brandaves

Why is that? Loosening of the fit?

I am not an everyday smoker, so I clean them because it might be some time before I reuse them. My thinking is get rid of the gunk before it sets in.
Some people do fully take down their pipes for a clean each smoke but if you run some pipe cleaners through when you're done that should be plenty. Constant disassembly and reassembly just wears things down unnecessarily. Of course if you're careful it shouldn't matter too much. I just wanted to make sure you knew that it wasn't necessary for every smoke.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I remove the stem, and use a folded pipe cleaner to degunk the bottom of the mortise every few smokes. Maybe every three or four, or if I can't remember how many smokes I've had since I last did it. I tend to use a pipe for a few smokes once it's come out of the drawer, and I like it to be clean and dry when it goes back in, as it might be a few weeks until it comes out again.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

You shouldn’t remove a stem while a pipe is still warm. The stem swells when you smoke it and should return to normal as it cools.

You shouldn’t remove a stem while a pipe is still warm. The stem swells when you smoke it and should return to normal as it cools.
I don't do so. I generally wait a good few hours afterwards, sometimes even the next morning. E-mailed MM about the issue, and they said it was not an unusual occurrence. They suggested a couple remedies.

One was to use beeswax as a lubricant, so I may pick up some (or use Burt's Bees, if it's all beeswax).

the other was to use a "J" or "S" sized drill bit, depending on the pipe, and to hand twist it into the mortise. This would have the effect of removing the thin layer of excess material. Not sure I am ready to go that far for a relatively minor inconvenience, but at least it's there if the issue worsens.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I was told the same thing but someone here set me straight. A bit of bar soap like what we used to use to wash our hands with before liquid . . . helps. Also, according to the advice I was given . . .beeswax makes things tighter.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Some time Bakker we should meet at a 2m distance. Over the last couple of years I've been gifted some tobacco that I've enjoyed. I would like to spread the joy. Things get complicated with boarders etc. but I'm just around the corner. I have some Old Dark Fired Kentucky that would be fun for me to share.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

I will go years in removing the stems from some pipes. With regular cleaning habits, and the occasional deep cleaning with ’pipe sweetener’, there is very little need to constantly keep removing the stem. The only exceptions are filter and system pipes. You really don’t need to remove the stem from a pipe very often.

Removing a stem too often will eventually loosen the joint. And that you don’t want. And never, ever, remove the stem on a warm pipe. That is a sure way to wind up with a loose joint right away.

For a slightly sloppy joint, beeswax is the traditional cure. Conversely, for the tight joint, a mark or two of graphite from a pencil will help provide a little dry lubrication going forward. Neither will harm the pipe, or its taste, in the least.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
One was to use beeswax as a lubricant, so I may pick up some (or use Burt's Bees, if it's all beeswax).

the other was to use a "J" or "S" sized drill bit, depending on the pipe, and to hand twist it into the mortise. This would have the effect of removing the thin layer of excess material. Not sure I am ready to go that far for a relatively minor inconvenience, but at least it's there if the issue worsens.
I would resist reaming a pipe shank with a drill bit, but that’s just me. Try using the traditional pencil method a few times first.

Blocks of pure beeswax are very hard at room temperature, harder than some of the commercial formulations such as Bert’s. Pure beeswax blocks should be available locally in most areas. A 1” square block should be enough for decades of pipe fixes.

For either, apply it sparingly. Just enough to get past the problem, and no more.

Some time Bakker we should meet at a 2m distance. Over the last couple of years I've been gifted some tobacco that I've enjoyed. I would like to spread the joy. Things get complicated with boarders etc. but I'm just around the corner. I have some Old Dark Fired Kentucky that would be fun for me to share.
Is that the Mac Baren version? Because I just ordered some today. But yeah, I'd be happy to meet up sometime over a bowl. Maybe a joint trip into T.O. to a shop, or something.

My bowl went **CLICK**

Came home, and decided to light a bowl of Amphora Virginia. Glad to have done so, as it was a bit of an "ah-hah" bowl for me, in terms of my learning curve.

LOADING . . . gravity fed the bottom half of the bowl with only a marginal amount of "loading" to make things neat. the top half of the bowl was loaded a little thicker, and I twisted the wad into the bowl to prevent any stray bits from sticking out of it. Bit of a breezy afternoon, so it took a couple matches to get things lit, but after that, smooth draws.

SMOKING . . . It was a good smoke, with only one relight near the bottom of the bowl. Finger tamping was easy and, as noted, relights were not really needed. I found that shielding the top of the bowl a little kept the draft from fanning the embers, so it stayed cooler. Allowed for my first really nice "taste" of Virginia . . . a bit of burnt sugar, without being acrid or unpleasant. Reminded me of my time at the candy factory. Bit of a one-note, but pleasing.

OVERALL . . . my phone was charging in the house, so it was just me and the pipe, and it really was probably the best smoke to date. I felt like everything that I have read and discussed here, and chirping @RookieGuy 's thread as well, finally clicked and allowed me to just enjoy sitting in the chair, watching the clouds stream by, pushing the occasional cloud away myself.

brandaves

My bowl went **CLICK**

Came home, and decided to light a bowl of Amphora Virginia. Glad to have done so, as it was a bit of an "ah-hah" bowl for me, in terms of my learning curve.

LOADING . . . gravity fed the bottom half of the bowl with only a marginal amount of "loading" to make things neat. the top half of the bowl was loaded a little thicker, and I twisted the wad into the bowl to prevent any stray bits from sticking out of it. Bit of a breezy afternoon, so it took a couple matches to get things lit, but after that, smooth draws.

SMOKING . . . It was a good smoke, with only one relight near the bottom of the bowl. Finger tamping was easy and, as noted, relights were not really needed. I found that shielding the top of the bowl a little kept the draft from fanning the embers, so it stayed cooler. Allowed for my first really nice "taste" of Virginia . . . a bit of burnt sugar, without being acrid or unpleasant. Reminded me of my time at the candy factory. Bit of a one-note, but pleasing.

OVERALL . . . my phone was charging in the house, so it was just me and the pipe, and it really was probably the best smoke to date. I felt like everything that I have read and discussed here, and chirping @RookieGuy 's thread as well, finally clicked and allowed me to just enjoy sitting in the chair, watching the clouds stream by, pushing the occasional cloud away myself.
Those epiphany smokes happen once in a while, more frequently when starting out. They help remind us why we enjoy the hobby in the first place. Congrats on enjoying a nice smoke!

Top Bottom