What's new

Clubman 2020 - pls explain it to me

I thought the holding company was called American International Industries, with Pinaud Clubman website being just one of many product lines at www.clubman.com.

Anyhow, for the purpose of this discussion, which is focused on scent similarities with Brut, let's not get too carried away with legal stuff and which company holds the marketing and copyrights, shall we? [emoji4]

As the URL suggests, clubman is a company. There probably is a larger umbrella now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clubman is a brand, there is no mention of it being a legal entity, a corporation, pls see here: American International Industries - http://www.aiibeauty.com/clubman.html.

The company, as mentioned is AII: American International Industries - http://www.aiibeauty.com/brands.html

Hope it clarifies the confusion.

Things change. There are so many buyouts. So no, it’s history is not defined. In 2012, the last time I looked Clubman had more than one product line of which Pinaud was one of them.

Things change. There are so many buyouts. So no, it’s history is not defined. In 2012, the last time I looked Clubman had more than one product line of which Pinaud was one of them.

@ScottChapin I appreciate your enthusiasm, but no one cares. Pls, let us not hijack this thread by discussing brand ownership and corporate buyouts, instead of scent profile. PLEASE!

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
For me, clubman has a unique face feel, and it’s lasts a long time in a pleasing way. Yes, it totally reminds me of the American barbershop experience from my youth. And that’s a huge part of the allure. But it’s the way it makes ones skin feel in addition to the nostalgic fragrance.

To my nose, Brut has a much stronger opening, a "punch" (lemon & licorice) that makes it unmistakable from Clubman, and doesn't dry down into such a powdery scent, which gives Clubman that classic barbershop smell.

They do contain many of the same scent notes, but for me it's definitely on different levels. Clubman is more mossy, Brut more citrusy.

Brut's longevity is nowhere near what it used to be.

For me, clubman has a unique face feel, and it’s lasts a long time in a pleasing way. Yes, it totally reminds me of the American barbershop experience from my youth. And that’s a huge part of the allure. But it’s the way it makes ones skin feel in addition to the nostalgic fragrance.
Exactly and for that skin feel I love it.

To my nose, Brut has a much stronger opening, a "punch" (lemon & licorice) that makes it unmistakable from Clubman, and doesn't dry down into such a powdery scent, which gives Clubman that classic barbershop smell.

They do contain many of the same scent notes, but for me it's definitely on different levels. Clubman is more mossy, Brut more citrusy.

I wonder how Pinaud Citrus Musk would smell. I'll probably get a bottle just to try it. Any ideas?

Sorry guys. I meant to say Pinaud (pronounced pee-NO) Clubman. My humble little collection.
20200908_172912.jpg

@ScottChapin the Clubman is the Clubman from the US, so it's not "same as yours", it IS yours 😂.

Brut, here in Europe, we have in several forms of scents and bottles.

We have the following:

100ml (3.4oz) Aftershave Splash in a transparent glass bottle
View attachment 1151429

200ml (6.8oz) Spalsh on Lotion that works as both As and EDT in a dark green glass bottle (the vintage one you mentioned)

View attachment 1151432

750ml (25.6oz) Spalsh EDT in a dark green glass bottle BIG Size
View attachment 1151426

100ml (3.4oz) EDT in a translucent glass bottle
View attachment 1151425

Scent wise the above 4 are identical.

Besides this Original/Classic, Brut also comes in 3 other flavors: Sport Style, Oceans and Attraction Totale.

View attachment 1151433

And then you also have Musk

View attachment 1151436

And Passion:

View attachment 1151437

So, a lot of Bruts out there... hope it helps.
The 25.6oz bottle is not European.

20200724_105922.jpg

Your question is a bit misleading, allow me to put things into perspective.

Pinaud is the name of the company that produces the Clubman (and many other men's fragrances and grooming products). Brut is a range of men's fragrances (AS and EDTs) developed by a French company called the Faberge.

So, asking "Brut or Pinaud" makes no sense.

What we are discussing here is Brut Original by Faberge Vs. Pinaud Clubman.

That being said, if you're asking me, scent wise it's really close, perhaps Clubman is a tad bit less "sweet", which in my book is a plus.

Performance wise, Clubman by a country mile - as an after-shave this stuff, as I wrote above, just feels wonderful on the face, while Brut is basically scented alcohol, nothing to write home about. Longevity wise, again Clubman by far, it outperforms many EDCs/EDTs I use(d)... this stuff lasts for 8+ hours, amazing.
Faberge was American not French. Also Oakmoss is not banned in Europe.

Last edited:

There are different Brut products in different countries. An American Brut is not the same as an European Brut. They are owned by different entities.

There are different Brut products in different countries. An American Brut is not the same as an European Brut. They are owned by different entities.
Might explain the possible differences in how people perceive the scent I guess, hence this entire debate... Some (myself included) cannot tell it apart from Brut Original EDT, the yellowish tinted one that comes in the transparent glass bottle with atomizer spray head.

Attachments

• 15996255780096705838614256183588.jpg
    15996255780096705838614256183588.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
I don't really get the whole citrus vibe from Clubman either. To me it's all lavender and powder. I like it but I quickly grow tired of it. I keep it around because it's a classic. The glass definitely helps. I've always felt that Brut and Clubman were in the same neighborhood.. the missing link between them is something like Avon Tai Winds. Smell that and you'll "get" the similarity a little more.

If you want a similar aftershave that goes heavy on the citrus (orange), try Master "Lord and Master" - though I believe it's discontinued, there are still bottles floating around.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I wonder how Pinaud Citrus Musk would smell. I'll probably get a bottle just to try it. Any ideas?
It’s magnificent! One of my favorites. It starts with a big burst of lime when you splash it on and then dries down to the musky scent that wears close, but lasts a while. Great summer splash.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
If you’re looking for something like Clubman, but lighter and crisper, I highly recommend Clubman Classic Vanilla. For an orangy barbershop scent, Floid Vigoroso is excellent.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
If you want a massive dose of Clubman overload, try PAA Club Guy soap, followed up by a healthy splash of Clubman. You’ll feel good and smell nice for hours!

Top Bottom