What's new

Which cartridge razor/disposable razor did you use today and how many shaves?

It's going to be Original 80's Sensor handle / Polish-made Gillette Sensor blade and Proraso Green tube finger applied for the next 4 days while travelling.
I have heard the polish made blades are the top of their line, tonight gillette Mach 3 going on shave #4.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: King C. Gillette Shaving and Edging razor
Blade: King C. Gillette Cartridge (1)
Brush: Fatip Synthetic
Cream: Gillette Pure
Aftershave: Gillette Cool Wave (Splash)
019_40.jpg

Well, this was totally fun! I'm impressed! The last cartridge razor I used was a Gillette Mach 3. This five blade gizmo has totally different feel than the Mach 3. I love the swivel head. You just place it on your face and go. Mike, @Esox, says these modern cartridges feel like getting licked by a cats tongue. Being a Cat person that made me kind of smile. He's right, but I don't think he was as keen as I am on the feel. I did a three pass shave today on 72 hours worth of growth. At no point did the five blade "monstrosity" ever become clogged with beard stubble. It mowed through it cleanly. The result equaled my shaves with my Fatip, which is BBS with a DFS on my neck. I never push it on my neck area. When I applied Cool Wave Aftershave there was little to no feedback. Tomorrow, I'll do a two pass, wtg, atg, shave as there will not be as much stubble, and for science. My thoughts are this is really neat, fun, toy to play with, and a razor, is a razor, is a razor. This means it passed the test. If I could affordably buy 500 cartridges, my magic number for how many blades have to have, I'd use this razor on a regular bases. For now it will be relegated as a treat razor to be brought out and used on occasion.

It was also fun using Gillette Pure Shaving cream. I works really well and is, ever so, slightly mentholated. Gillette Cool Wave always comes on strong but dissipates rather quickly with subtle staying power.

A very cool thing is my newly re-knotted Fatip Brush! I want to use it now on every shave since I got rid of that Pure Badger they stuck in it. I really wanted to love it, I loved the handle, but couldn't hang with it. The 22mm Plissoft style knot is so much better in every way. The weight of the solid brass handle is also a plus. You really know you're handling a bad boy when using it. It's perfect for face lathering, and it has more than earned it's place in my brush rotation. My two favorite brushes are now, without a doubt, my Fatip Synth and my APShaveco SynBad.

016_20.jpg

Happy shaves from the dark side. -Rave

Blade: King C. Gillette Cartridge (1)
View attachment 1151553
Well, this was totally fun! I'm impressed! The last cartridge razor I used was a Gillette Mach 3. This five blade gizmo has totally different feel than the Mach 3. I love the swivel head. You just place it on your face and go. Mike, @Esox, says these modern cartridges feel like getting licked by a cats tongue. Being a Cat person that made me kind of smile. He's right, but I don't think he was as keen as I am on the feel. I did a three pass shave today on 72 hours worth of growth. At no point did the five blade "monstrosity" ever become clogged with beard stubble. It mowed through it cleanly. The result equaled my shaves with my Fatip, which is BBS with a DFS on my neck. I never push it on my neck area. When I applied Cool Wave Aftershave there was little to no feedback. Tomorrow, I'll do a two pass, wtg, atg, shave as there will not be as much stubble, and for science. My thoughts are this is really neat, fun, toy to play with, and a razor, is a razor, is a razor. This means it passed the test. If I could affordably buy 500 cartridges, my magic number for how many blades have to have, I'd use this razor on a regular bases. For now it will be relegated as a treat razor to be brought out and used on occasion.

It was also fun using Gillette Pure Shaving cream. I works really well and is, ever so, slightly mentholated. Gillette Cool Wave always comes on strong but dissipates rather quickly with subtle staying power.

A very cool thing is my newly re-knotted Fatip Brush! I want to use it now on every shave since I got rid of that Pure Badger they stuck in it. I really wanted to love it, I loved the handle, but couldn't hang with it. The 22mm Plissoft style knot is so much better in every way. The weight of the solid brass handle is also a plus. You really know you're handling a bad boy when using it. It's perfect for face lathering, and it has more than earned it's place in my brush rotation. My two favorite brushes are now, without a doubt, my Fatip Synth and my APShaveco SynBad.

View attachment 1151556

Happy shaves from the dark side. -Rave
I don’t believe there is a dark side in shaving.Tonight schick xtreme3 or quattro.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: King C. Gillette Cartridge (2)
021_40.jpg

Today was a two pass shave. My first shave honeymoon period is over. My thoughts are that a wtg/atg are a bit rougher on my skin than three wtg/xtg/atg shaves are. The shave really needs an xtg to reduce the hair further. An atg without a quick xtg makes a bit more work on the atg. Therein lies the problem with wtg/atg. Now probably a wtg/xtg would have better results but it would not be as close, or I would over work it the same causing the same issue. I'll have to find out, but not tomorrow because I'm going for a three pass. It is a fine razor. My issue with it is with two and three pass shaves the blades in the cartridges are still just blades. This means they'll probably be good for how long blades last. At $9.99 a pop for four cartridges it's a pricey toy to use when you shave everyday Monday through Friday. I do like the added trimmer feature. You flip the razor around and it has a single blade on the flip side on top that is for trimming. This makes up for the lack of real control when trimming a round beard with the five blade side. This is neat tool/toy and kind of fun, but is it sustainable fun, or novelty fun, once the newness wears off?

Last edited:
Blade: King C. Gillette Cartridge (2)
View attachment 1151904
Today was a two pass shave. My first shave honeymoon period is over. My thoughts are that a wtg/atg are a bit rougher on my skin than three wtg/xtg/atg shaves are. The shave really needs an xtg to reduce the hair further. An atg without a quick xtg makes a bit more work on the atg. Therein lies the problem with wtg/atg. Now probably a wtg/xtg would have better results but it would not be as close, or I would over work it the same causing the same issue. I'll have to find out, but not tomorrow because I'm going for a three pass. It is a fine razor. My issue with it is with two and three pass shaves the blades in the cartridges are still just blades. This means they'll probably be good for how long blades last. At $9.99 a pop for four cartridges it's a pricey toy to use when you shave everyday Monday through Friday. I do like the added trimmer feature. You flip the razor around and it has a single blade on the flip side on top that is for trimming. This makes up for the lack of real control when trimming a round beard with the five blade side. This is neat tool/toy and kind of fun, but is it sustainable fun, or novelty fun, once the newness wears off?
You might try XTG/ATG. My face gets along with it fine with DEs, and probably would with cartridges as well.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Are these the same as Gillette’s other five blade cartridges?
They do look similar. From looking at the handle it does look like the Fusion and the Pro-Glide blade would fit, but a quick search on Amazon they are more pricey than the King C. Gillette refill.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: King C. Gillette Cartridge (3)
026_40.jpg

I'm back in love with this razor after today's shave. I did a three pass shave and that was it. It was fast, light, and fun and it did the job. I wasn't worried about the results of a two pass shave, so the burden was off. There was very little feedback when applying Gillette Cool Wave. Now that I've seemed to have settled into a routine that works the week is almost over. I have two more shaves to go then I'll use my Merkur 33c. I really, really, really, like my newly re-knotted Fatip brush. The Fatip/Plissoft now is a joy to use and lathers like a monster. I may stick with it for the foreseeable future. It didn't get a lot of love before with the Pure badger.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: King C. Gillette Cartridge (4)
019_40.jpg

Four day's in shaving with the King C. Gillette Shaving and Edging Cartridge. This is the longest I have ever shaved consecutively with a cart. I think I went three days in a row many years ago. I swore off I'd never do that again. For forty years I shaved every other day at the very least. When I was younger my beard was sparse and didn't come in much. I may have shaved once or twice a week back then. As it came in more, I tried shaving more. Everyday was too much to handle with the irritation and the ingrowns. What has changed are my bad habits. I would shave one pass atg after just splashing some water on my face. My post skin care was non-existent as I couldn't stand the smell of aftershave. It was probably something like Brute and Aqua Velva. I probably tried them a couple of times and swore off of it. Now, after five years with a DE, with good prep, a lighter touch, and multiple pass stubble reduction, and good post care, the results have become as good as with any razor. I've come to be at peace with carts. Except for the cost of cartridges. That's still crazy. I hear people say they are too costly, and how they jump through hoops to extend the life of them. It sounds like the 1930's depression era mindset being replayed. It's nice to be able to swap out for a fresh DE blade whenever you feel like it, and that it doesn't matter in the very least. Of course if you budget your shaves with a Gillette Cart, swapping the refill out every week, it's ten bucks a month. That is doable.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Razor: King C. Gillette Shave and Edging Razor
Blade: King C. Gillette Cartridge (5)
021_40.jpg

Today was my last shave of the week with my King C. Gillette Shave and Edging Razor. It was also my best shave of the week. I took extra care to get as close of a shave as possible. It will be 72 hours until my next shave after all. Next weeks line up will be: Merkur 33c paired with an Astra SP, Either MdC Vetyver or Proraso White (I'm leaning towards Proraso), my newly re-knotted, one and only, Fatip Synth, and Proraso Green Splash.

Have you heard my song in praise of the King C. Gillette Shave and Edging Razor?
90.jpg

Last edited:
Gillette Good News (unknown number of shaves) - use it for my weekly neck line-up & neck shave, after cutting my hair, after mowing the yard.

Top Bottom