What's new

B&B's I Cycle, You Cycle, Let's Exchange Stories (aka B.I.C.Y.C.L.E.S.)

It sounds like you had a nice ride, aside from the being out of shape and the pulled muscle! I did get out on my road bike this morning for a short 15 miler. I hope it was cooler in Northern Virginia than it was here in St. Louis this morning. When I set off on my ride at 8am, it was 80 degrees, 95% humidity with a dew point of 73. That is some bad hot air, but I LOVE Summer, no matter the weather!

I'm visiting Centralia, IL. The humidity/mugginess factors are off the chart! RESPECT for getting on the bike in current conditions.

I've been commuting for a few months now and have noticed more bugs hitting my face lately, this morning a bee lodged itself under my helmet and stung me... Had a nice welt for a couple hours at work.

Should I wear a visor? lol

CB08EA92-7405-45CD-AE84-9AABFE33D800.jpeg018F1850-AF32-4BD3-8EA6-3182BF244AD0.jpegE473C9C6-8D4F-4B4D-8944-4CF1AFB51F2E.jpeg
Took the mountain bike out the parkway to help mulch newly planted slash pines. I like bombing up and down the berm and slaloming through the more mature pines and bald cypress trees, avoiding sandspurs as much as possible. After sandwiching 30 min rides around 2 hours of pitchforking, I was out of 2.5L of Skratch Labs from my hydration pack. Brutal heat and humidity even early in the morning, but great to get out! Refueled by stuffing leftover chicken and steak fajita ingredients in a 3 egg omelette!

Actually broke the tip of my index finger at Alafia Sunday! Unreal. Just got the X-ray today at an urgent care facility. I went in to see if they would totally remove the fingernail, but the doc left it in place. It won't keep me off the bike long...

View attachment 1078153

I won't post pics of the hand and finger. You can see how a bone fragment pushed up the base of the nail bed from the X-ray.
UPDATE: I can finally open a can of seltzer normally! Only took 4+ months!

Finally got back on a bike for more than an errand.

I went with my sportiest ride, the Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0

Pumped the tires up from near flat. Then 15 miles of noodling around in the NE Portland neighborhoods, about 650 of climb/descent - mostly going slowly up Rocky Butte and descending not quite as fast as I do when in the groove. Hot day, but I really needed to ride!

Normal evening cruise tonight. Twenty on the road bike. It was the first ride with a Cycliq Fly6 rear camera/light. The video it captures is pretty amazing. I hope I only use it for weather and wildlife purposes.

Welp, it only took 3 rides to capture this image on the new camera. I hope it isn’t an indictment of my riding style! I was cruising in the bike lane down a road with two car lanes on either side of the median. I heard a vehicle gun it and saw this guy with his arm out the window. I didn’t know for certain what he was doing until I looked at the video frame by frame. I live in a city of 200,000 people and it isn’t uncommon to see people in cars harassing whomever they see, pedestrian, cyclist, or another driver, for no reason other than they are in the harasser’s field of vision.
2611CD4D-D354-40C8-BEDC-2424E371F640.jpeg
Last photo on this subject I share here!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Just built a new wheelset for my Surly Pugsley and installed a Manitou Machete fork.

I've got two rides in on this setup and I'm in love with it. Much quicker and more nimble than the 4 inch Surly Nates that I typically run.

View attachment 1142983
Beautiful bike! I am partial to Surly myself. Are you going to swap the fatties back in for the winter?

Beautiful bike! I am partial to Surly myself. Are you going to swap the fatties back in for the winter?

Yessir! Ive ridden fat bikes exclusively for a few years and started to miss the skinny tires for efficiency. It felt like an absolute rocket ship the first time I rode with the new wheel set! So it’ll be fat for the winter and skinny most of the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So yesterday I took my utility bike for a 3 mile hike back to the house. While out running errands, it developed a slow leak from a long predicted sidewall failure up front.

I had the new tire already hanging in my shop. Buying the needed new tire and then failing to mount it before the inevitable flat? Pretty much the definition of dumb as a box of rocks.

The upside is that today I took that bike on a nice 15 mile urban ride on the Springwater Corridor to 'test' the re-shod wheel. Nice Willamette river views, plus the novelty of seeing walkers, runners, and cyclists wearing masks.

That ex-mountain bike doesn't usually go further than a four mile radius from home. I don't carry a tool/flat kit, knowing it would be stolen. Now perhaps I'll put on the new chain I bought four years ago, before I take another hike after a chain failure.

Finally feeling the bike part shortage as I look to go tubeless on the MTB. No tubeless ready valves available at any local Trek shop or the Trek Superstore online. Crazy.

Now perhaps I'll put on the new chain I bought four years ago, before I take another hike after a chain failure.

Shamed myself into putting on the new chain.

the bike part shortage

I didn't even know there was a shortage. Portland might grind to a halt. There is no shortage of bike parts in my garage. I was just sorting through rejected and hoarded saddles today.

After seeing the saddle choices, my wife opted to have her girlhood Schwinn LeTour seat mounted on her Breezer Greenway commuter. That seat should be well broken in.

The now seatless LeTour can finally be donated to the community bike co-op. There is a Nashbar 29er buried in the garage that should make the same trip. I swear, Nashbar found some outfit in China to make the frame out of cast iron.

Decided to go for an early half century this holiday weekend. Froze three of my four water bottles overnight and headed out. I had been avoiding my usual 35+ mile route due to utility upgrades and lots of loose gravel, but I found only fresh pavement and a wide bike lane where there had been a yellow stripe at the edge of pot hole riddled pavement. So nice!
091E6AC7-4B8F-476B-95C7-1DFF147EE629.jpeg
I asked another rider how long it had been finished. Four months! I’ll be heading up this way more.

Finally received the valve stems to convert the mtb to tubeless. They came from Waterloo, WI. The conversion was super easy, despite all that I have read. I was able to pop the bead on dry with a floor pump and I added sealant through the valve stem with the core removed. They are still holding pressure after a short ride last evening.

Finally received the valve stems to convert the mtb to tubeless. They came from Waterloo, WI. The conversion was super easy, despite all that I have read. I was able to pop the bead on dry with a floor pump and I added sealant through the valve stem with the core removed. They are still holding pressure after a short ride last evening.

Modern tubeless setups are great. The 29er wheelset I just had built with RaceFace AR35 rims and Terravail Ehline tires set up without any struggle whatsoever with a bike pump. My old ghetto tubeless setups with gorilla tape were hardly that kind to me haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom