What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Not as noice as a Burton Series 0001, but, it'll do! :biggrin1:

BTW David, have you ever come across a Les Lat glued to slate?
Yes. Keith had a hybrid glued to slate from around the same time frame as yours, and when they first moved to Regne they sold quite a few LL’s (the yellow side) glued to slate. But it’s definitely not something that’s common.

newcoticule.jpg

These are the coticules in my collection. The bout according to the seller is a LaVeille Rouge. It is very fast and has a gritty feeling to it when I am Honing with it.

The second coticule that I have is the rectangle. I have shown a picture of its front and back. The front is very smooth and really puts a nice finish on the razor when I use it just with water. If I add some slurry its actually quite a fast stone.

The back is a deep purple and seems to add a little keenness to the blade. I'm not sure what the back is.

I said I was done buying unless it was something special.
Figured I would never buy another Coti given the variance. I have a 4x2 that is IMO, the finest Coti I could have ever hoped to have found. Awesome stone.
Then I got thinking, If I were ever to buy another it would probably be an Old Pike Coti. Don't know why but my thinking was that the grading was more exact back then. People took pride in what they did. I don't know.
Prior to testing I used a Komo nagura to remove surface crud and see if I was going to remove the stamps and use or keep for resale.

10 strokes...check under microscope. Damn that's fast and fine. Stamps removed and dressed to 2K w/d.
Pretty much as fine as my 4x2 under the scope. Can't shave again till Sun. so we'll see, but very fine.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

In its new home for life,

proxy.php

The coti on the right looks real interesting, Dymax.

Stone, that vintage wood grained vein is really nice. My first coticule ever was an 8" from that vein. Still have it.

Stone, that vintage wood grained vein is really nice. My first coticule ever was an 8" from that vein. Still have it.

It looked almost lace like at times. Vericose vein type thing.
I am very happy with how it cuts steel. The 4x2 is as fine as very good Thuringian so I hope this is in the same park.
I feel lucky to have either that are this fine.

Mine isn't fast in the sense that "fast" coticules get. It's perfect speed imho. Cuts as fast as I want it to and never feels like it's doing any more than that. Was well loved, came in a carved walnut? case with a wood plane carved into the surface.

I really wish that I knew more about the one on the right. It was the first coti that I purchased and it was from the Bay.

Mine isn't fast in the sense that "fast" coticules get. It's perfect speed imho. Cuts as fast as I want it to and never feels like it's doing any more than that. Was well loved, came in a carved walnut? case with a wood plane carved into the surface.

I say fast but the other one (4x2)I feel is really slow. 80-100 avg. from 8k to finish.
This one 30 -50 from 8k to get to the same point.
The small one is more of a polisher in that regard.

This Les Latneuses has two yellow sides. One of the yellow sides has a tiger striped sort of appearance, the side with the inclusion. I went ahead and lapped that side smooth and honed on it, the inclusion is non toxic as it can't be felt and does not harm the razor's edge. Even though it was easy enough to darken clean water to black with metal shavings, the speed was slower and the shavings seemed finer than some of the examples of Les Latneuses I've honed on that have a softer yellow side without stripes. I haven't honed on the stamp side yet, but I am assuming it is faster than the striped side.
DSC00904.JPG
DSC00905.JPG
DSC00907.JPG

I tapped the sides of the "unusable" schist with a hammer and chisel and the whole thing popped off leaving a intact piece of coticule. Funny thing to see what it looks like on the other side. Now, it's much more portable and "usable" and will see much more action I believe.
The schist in it self was no problem to split. A tap here, move to the side and another tap and repeat a few times and PLOPP! Took a sacrificial chisel for wood with the bevel aimed towards the yellow side and all the glue came off together with the schist.

Attachments

• 15993837440365584742226794577769.jpg
    15993837440365584742226794577769.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 31
Reactions: CCR
a pair of vintage bouts I lapped about a month ago and have given a thorough testing.
One is (I assume) a les lat, it was originally a few mm thicker but I lapped down to see if the hybrid was usable and to make it sit flat on the bench
The coti side is fast on slurry and fairly fast on water especially with pressure.
the hybrid side leaves an almost mirror polish though I much prefer the yellow side.
it’s a little small at 4” x 2.5” but does the trick with sets of half strokes.
FDC69952-2387-4685-AAD5-BFB8650D0500.jpeg
E7A1E544-51E4-4E41-B67F-1682D0BB5DDC.jpeg
07D10A46-F6E3-41B5-9386-1C7D9F524BB1.jpeg
518738EC-B370-4903-BD9C-23AA87B12690.jpeg

These both came from the same place,
The second bout i used more than any other stone in the past month.
Super homogenous coticule with manganese hairlines. Very hard and fine and leaves an incredibly polished bevel and refined edge.
One of the few coticules I have used that doesn’t noticeably slurry dull at all and it is very hard to go wrong with it.
Im not sure If the black down the side is BBW or manganese but it’s looks cool so I’m leaving the sides unlapped.
8FA38BCE-56F0-4DCA-806B-D53D66F3EA78.jpeg
7B33CD1C-BA11-448C-8896-1B32D0331024.jpeg
23DEA69C-0C3D-4509-AEB4-EF80CBD63A81.jpeg
DA18C549-D822-48EC-9E2D-497A648E8FBC.jpeg

The last one for today, a hefty sized natural combo vintage.
Tiny brown dots on the surface and manganese lines with brownish blushing around them. Some yellow lines in the bbw also.
Measures 10” x 2 3/8”
I’ve got a couple of bigger cotis but neither of them are as hard or fine as this one.
Cuts nicely with slurry and a great size for dilucot honing. Had some really good success pairing with a fast slurry stone.
With plain water it has a silky smooth draw, no feeling of abrasion but not glassy.

It’s taken a knock at some point and there is a fracture which runs around the stone, I think I will thin some CA glue with solvent and see if I can get it to capillary action it’s way inside, as after being wet I can see that water has got into the cracks.

Anyone had any success doing this ? I’ve sealed plenty of open cracks with CA but this is such a fine crack down the sides that even my usual extra thin CA didn’t want to get in there

A6F191C0-98CB-426E-A905-7844F3BF15F8.jpeg
333D8DD6-2E5C-4D43-BC94-362EE29FE7F1.jpeg
D0ABC813-EFED-4A0F-9156-0EB9A0D5A681.jpeg
1BACA596-3CD5-4D10-AF84-FC228A55FE17.jpeg

The last one for today, a hefty sized natural combo vintage.
Tiny brown dots on the surface and manganese lines with brownish blushing around them. Some yellow lines in the bbw also.
Measures 10” x 2 3/8”
I’ve got a couple of bigger cotis but neither of them are as hard or fine as this one.
Cuts nicely with slurry and a great size for dilucot honing. Had some really good success pairing with a fast slurry stone.
With plain water it has a silky smooth draw, no feeling of abrasion but not glassy.

It’s taken a knock at some point and there is a fracture which runs around the stone, I think I will thin some CA glue with solvent and see if I can get it to capillary action it’s way inside, as after being wet I can see that water has got into the cracks.

Anyone had any success doing this ? I’ve sealed plenty of open cracks with CA but this is such a fine crack down the sides that even my usual extra thin CA didn’t want to get in there

View attachment 1155341View attachment 1155345View attachment 1155346View attachment 1155347
Goddamn whale bone. Nice.

those small bouts remind me of my coticule. I use to have a few coticules but all I need is this one. Always on the hunt for a nice large one but it will have to wait for awhile

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I've done it dozens of times with super thin CA and it works well. Once you start applying you have to keep a steady stream going until it stops drinking it in. If you stop too soon it will seal itself up and not reach the center.

Nice stone by the way!

About the black side of the coticule (or back black slate). I want know if you guy´s use the back black slate ( portuguese slate who comes glued in coticule) as a pre-finishing stone. Who have experience with this stone? I know is usable but i never tried this. Wainting the experts. Thanks

Top Bottom