What's new

Have you ever encountered impolite remarks when you talked about "shaving"

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
This is what happened to an EDC community in FaceBook today.
A man talked about having to shave for an interview and showed his ball end tech.
未命名-1.jpg

And the other man rudely satirized him as a woman/children.

So I felt that I must defend the man who showed his razor.
I live in Taiwan, so my computer display is not all English, you can see that my name is not English.
未命名-2.jpg

Previously, when I posted my PILS in the same place, I encountered several similar unfriendly comments.
As you can see, I am not an American; but in our impression, we always feel that there are more gentlemen in Western countries.
So I feel sad and regret to see such things happen continuously.

I have never encountered such a thing in Taiwan.
Sincerely, do you encounter such impoliteness in your life?

My sincere thanks

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
This is what happened to an EDC community in FaceBook today.
A man talked about having to shave for an interview and showed his ball end tech.
View attachment 1149943

And the other man rudely satirized him as a woman/children.

So I felt that I must defend the man who showed his razor.
I live in Taiwan, so my computer display is not all English, you can see that my name is not English.
View attachment 1149944

Previously, when I posted my PILS in the same place, I encountered several similar unfriendly comments.
As you can see, I am not an American; but in our impression, we always feel that there are more gentlemen in Western countries.
So I feel sad and regret to see such things happen continuously.

I have never encountered such a thing in Taiwan.
Sincerely, do you encounter such impoliteness in your life?

My sincere thanks
Regrettably, social media provides a platform for uncivil trolls, and constructive communication has been replaced by pure venom. It’s a product of our times and divisive culture.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I value the civilised discourse here on B&B but in general I agree that the Social Media, and the Internet in general, sometimes brings out the worst in people, or perhaps it reveals their true personality. Although there are clearly many huge positives to the Internet, I think they are outweighed by the negatives and the world would be a better place without it. I am increasingly disillusioned and dismayed with the Internet, and the aggression and division that I see there, and increasingly in real life. Still, there is no holding back 'progress'; maybe I am just a Luddite.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I value the civilised discourse here on B&B but in general I agree that the Social Media, and the Internet in general, sometimes brings out the worst in people, or perhaps it reveals their true personality. Although there are clearly many huge positives to the Internet, I think they are outweighed by the negatives and the world would be a better place without it. I am increasingly disillusioned and dismayed with the Internet, and the aggression and division that I see there, and increasingly in real life. Still, there is no holding back 'progress'; maybe I am just a Luddite.
I, too, miss the simpler times.
1599216255618.gif

I like a good argument, either face to face or online. Personal insults can sometimes be amusing in the former situation, given I generally know the person or people involved and my expression/body language can be used to moderate them. On the internet, however, when I see such attacks I usually think the individual launching them has either lost the argument or is just sad and inadequate.

ERS4

I'm sorry that happened. Do people not realize they can just keep scrolling if they have nothing of value to add?

I also think that they only need to "pass by'' topics that are not related to them.
With the fewest finger movements, they can make themselves a gentleman.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Sometimes we tend to fear what we dont understand. The next step is distance. That is where the attack comes in., imo. My mom always told me "If you dont have something nice to say, dont say it all all" Misery also loves company. Words to live by.

Glad we have a place here that encourages positive relationships.

I don't post my shave online except for here, and the crowd here is pretty like minded. I had a cocktail party conversation once where I mentioned my shave and how some days it's the best part of the day. A guy commented "I feel sorry for you." I don't bring up shaves in social situations much anymore. When someone ridicules what gives you pleasure it hurts. So, @ERS4 I feel your pain. Enjoy the shave, and bless you for standing up for someone who also enjoys some of the finer things (in my opinion).

I wouldn't take it very seriously. A lot of people verbally abuse other people on the Internet as a cheap form of stress relief.

This is sometimes called the "kick the cat" syndrome. A man gets yelled at by his boss for no good reason. So, when he gets home and his wife serves supper, he yells at her over some trivial complaint. Then, the wife goes and screams at the son, because he didn't clean his room. The kid leaves the house to get away from mom, and since he doesn't have anybody to yell at, he kicks the cat, who runs off howling in pain.

ERS4

I don't post my shave online except for here, and the crowd here is pretty like minded. I had a cocktail party conversation once where I mentioned my shave and how some days it's the best part of the day. A guy commented "I feel sorry for you." I don't bring up shaves in social situations much anymore. When someone ridicules what gives you pleasure it hurts. So, @ERS4 I feel your pain. Enjoy the shave, and bless you for standing up for someone who also enjoys some of the finer things (in my opinion).

Thank you for your encouragement. I have regained my energy during the shave tonight, and successfully promoted the "game changer" to a old friend. He even wants to renovate the bathroom to match the razor.

ERS4

I wouldn't take it very seriously. A lot of people verbally abuse other people on the Internet as a cheap form of stress relief.

This is sometimes called the "kick the cat" syndrome. A man gets yelled at by his boss for no good reason. So, when he gets home and his wife serves supper, he yells at her over some trivial complaint. Then, the wife goes and screams at the son, because he didn't clean his room. The kid leaves the house to get away from mom, and since he doesn't have anybody to yell at, he kicks the cat, who runs off howling in pain.

Indeed, we don’t need to be disturbed by others’ "kick the cat syndrome".
Thank you for the new terminology, it is really interesting.

Yeah fb has/had such a feature to block personal posts in groups. You get some messy threads due to it though. You can also report someone.
Wish there was an option to block groups, persons to get rid of all the unwanted fb proposed ones.
For groups the trick is subscribe, remove all message updates, unsubscribe.
Was getting all kind of lab tech group threads and I am not doing that work for 25years.....but worked.

But in general bb is very civilized.

Once I was on a Dutch fb thread and you could get very heated messages when you did not like soap x, did not shave with a de etc etc.... so when last year my dad was terminal I had a Clear moment not longer wanting that childish negative energy and left the group lol...

Regrettably, social media provides a platform for uncivil trolls, and constructive communication has been replaced by pure venom. It’s a product of our times and divisive culture.
You summed up what I was thinking. It seems some people are deliberately obnoxious on social media.
If you want to discuss shaving matters stick with the shaving forums.

Top Bottom