What's new

I can't believe it's not shave butter!

So, I had 1.5 tubs of Country Crock vegetable butter spread that I wasn't going to eat since I and my family prefer real butter. It was approaching it's best buy date and I didn't want to waste it by tossing it out. So decidedto try making shaving soap with it. And it turned out wonderfully, no joke!
After doing some research I couldn't find anything about others attempting to do this, be it regular or shaving soap.
No big deal, there's a first time for everything. The challenge was not knowing exactly how much of the three vegetable oils that make up the spread is.
With only the three types of oil listed, the order the oils are listed in the ingredients, the text on the front of the container that stated "35% vegetable oil spread", and the total weight of the spread I had, I had some math and guess work ahead of me.
It was pretty easy to figure out how of the spread was made up of vegetable oil. Just 35% times the amount of spreadathat came out to be 18.88 ounces.
Now if all three vegetable oils had the same Saponification values the next step of determining how much lye is needed would have been easy. But alas, they don't.
This is where the guessing comes in.
Rule of thumb, usually, is that ingredients are listed top to bottom most to least.
So just to make things easier on me, I decided to go with 6.88 oz. for the first oil and 6 oz. for the other two.
So I proceed to do the rest of my calculations, and yes I prefer to do it all by hand instead of a lye calculator, and came up with this recipe incase you're curious.

-32 oz stearic acid
-6.88 oz soybean oil
-6 oz palm kernel oil
- 6 oz palm oil
-2 oz vegetable glycerin
-2 oz sodium lactate
-5.78 oz potassium hydroxide
-2.75 oz sodium hydroxide
-28 oz distilled water

I proceeded with the cold process and let the soap cure/dry for about a month and made about 70 ounces of shaving soap after dried out.
I'm happy to say that it passes the zap test, but does still taste like County Crock vegetable spread.
It lathers like a dream and provides a very provocative shave. My guess work/curiosity paid off.
I'll need to take another picture of the lather since it seems that I've misplaced it up to creating this thread, but I promise to share one with you guys!
20200810_150339.jpg20200810_150324.jpg20200810_151059.jpg

Dave you are the Mad Shave Soap Scientist!

Ooh...a new user name...D.M.S.S.?

Of course it provides a buttery smooth shave. 🤪

Once had the thought of making a Bacon Grease shave soap in the back of my mind. May have to pursue it...
It would be identical to making soap with lard. The difference would be a higher amount of sodium chloride and, if the bacon was cured, sodium nitrate in the finished soap. More than likely wouldn't change the performance in any way.

Dave you are the Mad Shave Soap Scientist!

Ooh...a new user name...D.M.S.S.?

Of course it provides a buttery smooth shave. 🤪
That's a cool user name, but don't let the mad part of it fool you, it's only soap lather on my face, I haven't got as far as I know!
And yes, it's definitely a buttery smooth shave with this stuff.

As promised, here's a picture of the lather!
20200903_175433.jpg

By the way, I forgot to mention that nearly 54 ounces of the Butter spread was used for this experiment.

Top Bottom