What's new

Fried Rice Recipes!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm going back to my bachelor days ...

... one way I would make rice more interesting was to add some chili pepper flakes to the rice when cooking the rice. Just toss in "enough" (depends on how hot you want it) when you put the raw rice and water together ... by the time the rice is cooked, you have the spice infused throughout.

I get more than enough heat from the chili garlic sauce. The last time I cooked some I used the powdered chicken stock from a packet of Liptons soup mix. That gave the rice a nice deep colour and a fairly strong chicken flavour that I liked. The cooked rice just by itself was good. What I need to find are good concentrated chicken and beef stocks to cook it in.

Just did a quick check on some oyster sauces. From 750-980mg per Tbl.

Its a wonder plain salt doesnt just pour out of the bottles theres so much salt in the sauces lol. Salt boosts flavours but there are better ways of doing the same thing.

All of the rice I cooked yesterday was split across three people so no one will be OD'ing on sodium anyway lol.

Here's how I make the best fried rice in the world;
  1. Be born in tail end of Gen X
  2. Join Army purposely getting MOS with great jobs on outside
  3. Go to college paid for by Army
  4. Become Contractor working overseas
  5. Meet love of your life in the Philippines
  6. Make a family with said love
  7. Love asks if you want fried rice
  8. Say, "Oh YEAH, I want some fried rice!"
  9. Love makes best fried rice in the world
  10. Eat best fried rice in the world

Reactions: Avi

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Here's how I make the best fried rice in the world;
  1. Be born in tail end of Gen X
  2. Join Army purposely getting MOS with great jobs on outside
  3. Go to college paid for by Army
  4. Become Contractor working overseas
  5. Meet love of your life in the Philippines
  6. Make a family with said love
  7. Love asks if you want fried rice
  8. Say, "Oh YEAH, I want some fried rice!"
  9. Love makes best fried rice in the world
  10. Eat best fried rice in the world

I have a similar plan, although less complex. So far it hasnt worked but I'm not throwing the towel in lol.

She said she only buys her fried rice ingredients in a Chinese grocery store. A better plan may be to go buy the right rice and invite her over again with her rice cooker she said I MUST HAVE to "show me how it's done" heh.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just did a quick check on some oyster sauces. From 750-980mg per Tbl.

I checked my Lee Kum Kee Oyster sauce...

0078895300020_NF_hyvee_default_medium.jpeg

I dont know how much a table spoon of salt weighs but thats a lot.

I checked my Lee Kum Kee Oyster sauce...

View attachment 1145171

I dont know how much a table spoon of salt weighs but thats a lot.
Table salt is about 40% sodium by weight. A teaspoon of table salt contains about 2300mg of sodium. Somewhere between 1000mg and 2400mg of sodium daily is the usual recommended range. It is very easy to exceed that because there is a lot of salt in many processed foods, even if you never even touch a salt shaker.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Table salt is about 40% sodium by weight. A teaspoon of table salt contains about 2300mg of sodium. Somewhere between 1000mg and 2400mg of sodium daily is the usual recommended range. It is very easy to exceed that because there is a lot of salt in many processed foods, even if you never even touch a salt shaker.

I try pretty hard to stay under my personally set max of 1600mg/sodium a day. I actually had to increase my sodium intake after my heart attack 5 years ago because of cramping. I've never felt a need for a lot of salt. Black pepper on the other hand I use often.

I eat very little processed food anymore and feel a whole bunch better because of it. Simply stopping eating processed foods, while eating smarter, I also lost 40lbs in the first year and its stayed off. I've lost another 5lbs or so just by cooking and eating my own fried rice since I started this thread.

I'll be trying my hand at a spicy stir fry tonight with Cantonese noodles, chicken and left over rice. I just need to get use to cooking with little bits of these sauces. I dont think I need much of any of them for flavour but I'm not used to using them.

I'm really learning a lot in this thread and owe everyone in it a thank you. :ouch1:

Reactions: Avi
This entire forum is about .. Fatboy this.. Chubby that, this thread provides the impetus as to why ;)

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Spicy Chicken with noodles, and I gotta say, thats pretty damn good.

IMG_3309.JPG

One quick splash of Soy sauce, two good shakes of Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tea spoon Chili garlic sauce, 1/2oz Peanut oil and 3/4 cup water mixing and folding until the water was gone.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
VERY long grain rice. :wink2:

Looks good!

Thanks. Its a bit on the hot side but thats okay. Sliced lightly cooked (parboiled) chicken breast marinated overnight in olive oil, basil, oregano, Worcestershire, black pepper and garlic with a dash of Malt vinegar.

3 green onions, half a handful of julienne carrot and what was left of yesterdays rice, maybe 3/4 a cup.

Chicken seared in a hot pan with peanut oil until it took some colour, carrot and onions in, noodles and water in, lid on for maybe 5 minutes stirring and turning. Rice in, well tossed, sauces in, heat up to boil off any remaining water and into the bowl.

Good stuff.

Playing out the normal rules. Leftover rib-eye, onion, carrot, onion, garlic, sugar snap peas.

Attachments

• 2B03FC6E-219F-4216-AD5F-788E7154D058.jpeg
    2B03FC6E-219F-4216-AD5F-788E7154D058.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 15A41DFA-A138-43A7-A8CD-A2E155AA802E.jpeg
    15A41DFA-A138-43A7-A8CD-A2E155AA802E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • 3BB23D6D-DA62-41E0-AE18-190C62791498.jpeg
    3BB23D6D-DA62-41E0-AE18-190C62791498.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 7823538C-8B1A-47CF-A84E-7E6445242BA6.jpeg
    7823538C-8B1A-47CF-A84E-7E6445242BA6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • B5A82B9F-9F12-4D0C-B5BC-9201E0D46E7A.jpeg
    B5A82B9F-9F12-4D0C-B5BC-9201E0D46E7A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 3CA627AB-AE63-44F8-AAD7-52F3599A67F1.jpeg
    3CA627AB-AE63-44F8-AAD7-52F3599A67F1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Bacon is good. I tried frying the rice in bacon grease and that wasnt so good, especially when cold.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Looks good to me. I see you went with bacon. Solid decision there.

Thanks ... bacon was what was there. SWMBO gave it a positive review ... not a rave review, but at least it tipped the needle on the positive side. Not bad for a first try.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I just read this article and was reminded of this thread.

"It takes only three minutes for the lump of white rice to transform into the bowl of golden fried rice he places on the serving counter."

Getting the colour is still the part I struggle with. If I had as much heat as they show in the video it might not be a problem but at least now I understand I have no wok hei lol.

Top Bottom