What's new

Struggling to find a brush

I have been reading forums and descriptions trying to find a brush that I really like but so far have been disappointed with my purchases and I'm growing discouraged. I will try again. This time with as much specific information as I can including the brushes I've already tried and why I don't like them.

General: I need a small, stiff scrubber with maximum backbone that doesn't splay excessively when broken in and is not very dense...so probably boar. I face lather with soaps.

Brushes I already own:
Yaqi Sagrada Familia 24mm Tuxedo: I don't like it. It's too big, WAY too soft and WAY too dense.
Unknown badger Dad gave me: Too big, too soft, loft too long and splays considerably
Semogue 1470: This one I actually kinda sorta like. The density is about where I like it but it's too big. The current stiffness/backbone is decent but I can already tell I will not be once it's broken in.

What I'm looking for:
KNOT: Prefer 19-21mm. I absolutely draw the line at 22mm. This is a must

LOFT: Prefer 45-48ish mm...50mm max.

BACKBONE:Very high priority. Emphasis on stiff, course and scratchy.

DENSITY: Prefer lower density. Could tolerate one beginning to approach moderate density range if I had to. No lather hogs.

SOFTNESS: Zero priority

HANDLE: Not tripping about the handle as long as it's not very big.

PRICE: $30 budget

What do you guys think? Can you help me find my brush, or am I hunting unicorns over here?I though about the 40033 but 24mm is too big. Please help. Thank you.

How about an Omega 10015? Or if even that’s too big, a 10086?

I was also thinking maybe you should find a NOS Burma Shave brush on Amazon. That would probably fill your requirements list and they are cheap.
I'll check them out. There's only so much you can deduce looking at specs though, you know? Thank you for the leads.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Omega pure boar with beech wood handle was a fantastic drugstore find. Tips have split and softened, mellowing the scritch factor, but may tick several boxes.
9ACF2830-157F-4F2F-AF10-7241D83080B8.jpeg

Have you looked at horse brushes? They won't splay much at all. Look at Vie-Long for several excellent options there.

Otherwise since you know you like boar brushes, look at all the models available from Semogue and Omega to find one small enough for you since 24mm is too big. Semogue is probably your best bet.

If you want to spend a bit more and do it yourself, you can buy a handle and knot separately. Then drill the handle so that your knot will be set deeper and splay less. Some of our artisan brushmakers can also do that for you if you know the sizes you want. One maker who might get you under $30 is whipped dog.

I have a 22mm tuxedo from Maggards that I use for travel since it's small. It has plenty of backbone.

Have you looked at horse brushes? They won't splay much at all. Look at Vie-Long for several excellent options there.

Otherwise since you know you like boar brushes, look at all the models available from Semogue and Omega to find one small enough for you since 24mm is too big. Semogue is probably your best bet.

If you want to spend a bit more and do it yourself, you can buy a handle and knot separately. Then drill the handle so that your knot will be set deeper and splay less. Some of our artisan brushmakers can also do that for you if you know the sizes you want. One maker who might get you under $30 is whipped dog.

I have a 22mm tuxedo from Maggards that I use for travel since it's small. It has plenty of backbone.

He’s looking for scratchy. I don’t think there’s a synth out there that will do. You’d almost want to consider a pure black badger, because they’ve got scritch and backbone enough to turn your face red before you even start shaving, but they splay. Though perhaps a 20mm or so might well do the trick.

The scratchiest knot I ever used was a 22mm boar knot I bought from aceshaving out of China intending to put it in an old Surrey handle. I, however, do not like stiff and scratchy brushes, so I yanked it back out and got rid of it. That knot felt like lathering with a kitchen scrub brush and I didn’t feel like it would ever break in.

He’s looking for scratchy. I don’t think there’s a synth out there that will do. You’d almost want to consider a pure black badger, because they’ve got scritch and backbone enough to turn your face red before you even start shaving, but they splay. Though perhaps a 20mm or so might well do the trick.

The scratchiest knot I ever used was a 22mm boar knot I bought from aceshaving out of China intending to put it in an old Surrey handle. I, however, do not like stiff and scratchy brushes, so I yanked it back out and got rid of it. That knot felt like lathering with a kitchen scrub brush and I didn’t feel like it would ever break in.
Yeah I doubt I'll ever buy another synthetic. I'll do some reading on the pure black badger.

I appreciate everybody's input. The amount of models Omega alone has can get over whelming.

Yeah I doubt I'll ever buy another synthetic. I'll do some reading on the pure black badger.

I appreciate everybody's input. The amount of models Omega alone has can get over whelming.

If I’m doing it, I buy this because I don’t immediately see anyone selling them for less
Pure Badger Hair Shaving Brush Knot (20mm x 63mm) - https://shaveforge.com/pure-badger-hair-shaving-brush-knot-20mm-x-63mm/
Then pick one of the 20mm handles they sell. Get a tube of 5-minute epoxy, put a little in the handle hole, shove the knot in until it bottoms out, make sure it’s straight before the epoxy cures, and give it a go. If you’d rather take your chances with a 20mm boar, they’ll sell you one of those instead. The boar is described as “Very coarse bristles with excellent lather and scritch.”

Boar bristles are stiffer and the tips will eventually break in, split, and get softer. A prickly badger will be prickly forever, but the hairs themselves are not quite as stiff.

Last edited:
I can give you a suggestion but you are going to have to look and find. It sounds like Rein Dachs or Reine Borste made by the same German company could have something you like. These are sold exclusively through the Superior Shave company. There are some scattered throughout their website with reasonable pricing. You have to look through ALL their sections as high, mid, and low because prices you seek are scattered throughout the sections. Their knots are known for their excellent flow through. They have them in dimensions close to what you seek. One example is the TSS Rein Dachs Klassik Two Band badger with walnut handle.

How about an Omega 10015? Or if even that’s too big, a 10086?

I wrote this and then read the @pdieten post that went up while I was typing away.

I think Omega knots are going to be best for you. These are two good suggestions. At under $10, easy to try out.

I have the Semogue 1470 and 1250 and a Zenith short and scrubby. The little Omegas are a better match to your requirements.

My personal solution is to loft my own small boars. Here is an relatively easy way to do that:

Shave Forge sells a 20mmx 63mm boar knot and inexpensive wood handles drilled for 20mm. About $10 for the cheapest combo. To loft the knot in the mid 40s, you need to get the handle drilled further out. A 20mm or 13/16" forstner bit and a drill press will take care of that. Drilled that deep, you really don't even have to glue the knot in place. So if you have the tools or know somebody who does, you can get a brush customized to your liking.

I also have two very nice TSS Reine Borste brushes. The walnut has a beautiful handle. But Omega knots (and the one I got from Shave Forge) have far more backbone and scrub.

Pics:
L - Semogue 1470 well broken in but continuing to splay
C - Walnut TSS Reine Borste, similar to 1470
R - Vulfix 6, higher lofted than you specify, but you might like it, if you can find one, very scrubby

E2EF6734-20FA-40BF-9334-E5A4D3929A51.jpeg

You say you were disappointed in your previous purchases. You seem to have clear specifications so what was it that was a problem before? Feel, lather,? I ask because maybe what you are looking for in performance may not be exactly your precise physical specs.

I like the opposite of what you're looking for but in my experience, I think short & small Omega brushes will be the best fit.

I have a Omega 10075 that has a lot of scrub, small, and not dense. I'd recommend that.

Also, I hear that the Omega 50014 has a lot of scrub as well. That looks to be on the smaller side as it's a travel brush.

I also have two very nice TSS Reine Borste brushes. The walnut has a beautiful handle. But Omega knots (and the one I got from Shave Forge) have far more backbone and scrub.

Pics:
L - Semogue 1470 well broken in but continuing to splay
C - Walnut TSS Reine Borste, similar to 1470
R - Vulfix 6, higher lofted than you specify, but you might like it, if you can find one, very scrubby

View attachment 1149498
Man that Walnut TSS handle sure is handsome.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
This small Simpson might suit you being an 18mm pure with low to mid density and little splay. You could try BST to see if anyone has one in your price range. It is a great face lathering brush with a bit of scratch. Good luck.

20200702_123221.jpg

You say you were disappointed in your previous purchases. You seem to have clear specifications so what was it that was a problem before? Feel, lather,? I ask because maybe what you are looking for in performance may not be exactly your precise physical specs.
I hadn't yet narrowed down my preferences yet when I bought them. The Yaqi Tux I ordered on a random recommendation from somebody on this site. It was my first shaving brush so in its case I just didn't know what I liked in a brush yet. Even having nothing to compare it to I just didn't like how big it was and it was so soft I felt like all it was doing was painting lather over my beard growth (my beard grows very parallel to my skin and I don't think the Yaqi was firm enough to lift the hairs to lay down some lather for the hair to lay on, if that makes sense.

Then my step dad let me try his badger while visiting. I liked it better than the Yaqi and what I liked was the firmer, smaller knot. Also wasted less lather. Having discovered that I prefer smaller scrubbier brushes I ordered a Semogue 1470 based on another recommendation. The 1470 I actually liked in the beginning, size wise it's only just slightly too big, but with each use it gets softer and less firm so I'm enjoying it less and less. It's splaying a lot, too. I have to soak the bristles before shaving less and less as time goes by to keep it feeling more like it did in the beginning.

Maybe it's all in my head, but that's roughly been my thought process and how I came to suspect that I'll like the specs I mentioned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom