What's new

3D printed double edge safety razor

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here. My uncle really enjoys shaving with a double edge razor and as a fun challenge he asked me to design a fully 3D printable safety razor. I thought it would be easy but the fine details proved challenging.

This forum helped a lot though, especially posts by ShavingByTheNumbers, so thanks a lot!

My uncle tried it yesterday for the first time and I was surprised when he told me it actually shaved and it’s not that bad. I thought you’d find it at least somewhat interesting. A cool application of this would be to quickly test different combs with minor adjustments.

Here are some pictures:

The bottom of the handle is a cap that can be unscrewed so you can add weight to the razor. You can use tungsten pine race car weights for a lot of weight or brass rods for less weight.

If you’re interested in printing your own, check here.

Welcome to B&B.
My uncle tried it yesterday for the first time and I was surprised when he told me it actually shaved and it’s not that bad. I thought you’d find it at least somewhat interesting.
The cap and bar finish look rough. Did you do any additional finishing to the areas in contact with the skin?

You REALLY played it safe on covering the blade tabs. :D
You know, I wondered how wide the whole thing had to be and went back and forth. I’ve never owned a safety razor and never held one before I printed this one. So I had to go by pictures and intuition. Do you think it should be flush with the tabs? I can add that to V2!

You know, I wondered how wide the whole thing had to be and went back and forth. I’ve never owned a safety razor and never held one before I printed this one. So I had to go by pictures and intuition. Do you think it should be flush with the tabs? I can add that to V2!

The vintage razors expose the tabs, but most of the modern machined stuff just barely covers them so you can't accidentally cut yourself when going around the tough spots.

Welcome to B&B.

The cap and bar finish look rough. Did you do any additional finishing to the areas in contact with the skin?
Thanks for the welcome. I know it looks pretty rough in the pictures. I think 3D prints normally photograph worse than they look in person. In reality it’s fairly smooth, although you can’t get rid of the print lines without a lot of sanding and finishing. There are also some plastic “hairs” that are just left over from the print. These are very thin and I just haven’t sat down to clean off the parts.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I look forward to this report! 😀
Very cool of you to post that up on thingiverse. I’ve printed other razors, but they all required hardware and lots of fiddling to get them to shave. I’m interested to see how it comes out. I have a lulzbot printer, so I should get a good accurate print at least. What kind of printer are you using? I posted a few brush and razor stands I’ve designed on thingiverse as well. If anyone is interested I can repost the links here. I have posted them before and don’t want to hijack this thread unless it’s requested etc. pm’s work too. 😎

Wait, you made that man? Too cool. How long does it take to print out?
Thanks! I did design it from scratch, it was a lot of fun. It takes a while to print. The top pieces take about 2 hours to print, the handle about 4 and the cap about 1, give or take 30 minutes total. You’re giving me ideas on how to make a “fast print” one. Starting by simplifying the knurling in the handle, potentially removing the cap and/or shortening the handle.

I also need to make the top narrower as some other people have commented

Top Bottom