What's new

Recommend a tobacco please.

Oh man you have a whole world to discover! I’m not a big fan of the aromatic (flavored) tobaccos, but that’s where many of us start.
Lanes 1Q is an aromatic that is pretty ubiquitous and might be a step up from your pouch tobaccos. Can be ordered from places like smokingpipes.com.

I wanted to try some tobaccos with a robust flavor. I find some tobaccos are good but boring like Carter Hall for example. I will try the Lanes 1Q aromatic. Thanks for the tip.

So far you've tried mostly old burley blends. I can comfortably say you've done variations of a theme (except for the va). As good as they are (and they really are), boy are you in for a treat!

Can I make a suggestion? Open both pouches! English and Kentucky are very different from what you've tried. And from each other. And they all have their place in the world, your cellar, and your pipe. There will be a time when you want the Kentucky and another time you'll want English.

To put it another way, it's not out of the question to have an open bottle of whiskey, vodka, and brandy at the same time.

So far you've tried mostly old burley blends. I can comfortably say you've done variations of a theme (except for the va). As good as they are (and they really are), boy are you in for a treat!

Can I make a suggestion? Open both pouches! English and Kentucky are very different from what you've tried. And from each other. And they all have their place in the world, your cellar, and your pipe. There will be a time when you want the Kentucky and another time you'll want English.

To put it another way, it's not out of the question to have an open bottle of whiskey, vodka, and brandy at the same time.

Now I really can't wait to light up today.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I wanted to try some tobaccos with a robust flavor. I find some tobaccos are good but boring like Carter Hall for example. I will try the Lanes 1Q aromatic. Thanks for the tip.
1Q is one of the top selling bulk aromatic tobacco blends available...but that doesn't necessarily make it the best. 1Q is made by Lane Limited, the same tobacco group that makes the Captain Black blends. While there is nothing wrong with Captain Black - that ought to give you a better understanding of what the cut and topping are like. The Captain Black Royal is pretty close to it.

1Q is one of the top selling bulk aromatic tobacco blends available...but that doesn't necessarily make it the best. 1Q is made by Lane Limited, the same tobacco group that makes the Captain Black blends. While there is nothing wrong with Captain Black - that ought to give you a better understanding of what the cut and topping are like. The Captain Black Royal is pretty close to it.

Thanks for the info.

This is fair. By no means king Of quality. Thought it just might be an affordable place to start.

brandaves

This is fair. By no means king Of quality. Thought it just might be an affordable place to start.
Of course! I wasn't saying it was a bad suggestion at all...it is number 1 for a reason. Just providing a bit more information.

brandaves

So far I like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic the best. What category or type of tobacco would you say it is?
I place it alongside the other OTC blends. SWR, Prince Albert, Carter Hall. Even though it an aromatic the topping is light and it smokes pretty much like the other OTCs. The burley leaf is a bit less rough(?) in SWRA. The burley is more present in those other blends I think.

So far I like Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic the best. What category or type of tobacco would you say it is?
The kind that tastes very good from a cob!

From what I hear (never had SWRA) its still in the lightly kissed with a topping __bur that makes up the codger family.

Now, here's a question for you to send the rest of us into a tizzy. You said it's your favorite so far out of what you've tried. Any reason you can put your finger on as to why? What did they do better than CH? What did Velvet miss on? And, just for fun, what did you think of the Virginia?

I am going to try the English Blend today. If it doesn't REALLY impress me, I'm going to ask for a recommendation of something with a strong flavor. Some of you have mentioned them but have not giving me a name. I want a robust flavor. If I don't like it, so be it. I'll try another.

Now, here's a question for you to send the rest of us into a tizzy. You said it's your favorite so far out of what you've tried. Any reason you can put your finger on as to why? What did they do better than CH? What did Velvet miss on? And, just for fun, what did you think of the Virginia?

It has the most flavor. To me (don't get mad at me) the others all taste about the same.

It has the most flavor. To me (don't get mad at me) the others all taste about the same.
That's very fair to say. Ok.

Yeah, I don't want to over sell this. But those next sample pouches are a bit more of what you're looking for I think.

The Kentucky, that's going to be much like what you've had, only much bolder. Much more oomph. Consider it akin to you've smoked a few Macenudo Porto Finos. A great cigar (for the price), very approachable and humble. But now you're looking at a full flavored Maduro in your Kentucky.

The English blends with those Latakia leaves are bringing something very different to your party. You're going to be smacked in the face (at first) with a strong smokey/worn comfortable leather type of flavor. Smokey like a good single malt. To me you can almost taste the fog on the Moors, hear the background chattering about the state of the Empire at some exclusive club men attend to escape their wives.

Standard boilerplate YMMV statement.

brandaves

I won't disparage anyone for liking or disliking a tobacco. We each have our own personal preferences when it comes to tobacco.

Could you explain what you mean by a "strong" flavor? I would be happy to suggest other tobacco blends but don't want to steer you the wrong direction. For instance, I think Arango Balkan Supreme has a strong flavor and would happily recommend it. The problem is that it is nothing like SWRA and as far as flavor goes I wouldn't personally consider SWRA as having a particularly strong flavor. In addition Balkan Supreme has a fair portion of Latakia (which SWRA doesn't) and if you don't like Latakia then you certainly won't like Balkan Supreme. That's why we are all kind of in a holding pattern until we hear back from you on what you think of the Amphora sampler. If you love the English blend then sure, get the Balkan Supreme. If you love the Kentucky, get some Old Dark Fired.

See where I'm driving?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I am going to try the English Blend today. If it doesn't REALLY impress me, I'm going to ask for a recommendation of something with a strong flavor. Some of you have mentioned them but have not giving me a name. I want a robust flavor. If I don't like it, so be it. I'll try another.
If you want a English blend that isn’t overwhelming but has complexity yet remains a friendly smoke, buy an ounce of Sutliff Walnut mixture. It is a blend of Burley, Virginia, Kentucky, Perique, Maryland, Latakia, Turkish/Oriental. It is masterfully blended, doesn’t bite and has no added flavorings. It has been in production since the mid 1800’s. It is available in bulk for a pittance. While I’m primarily a smoker of simple Burley, I’ve smoked tubs of it over the years and still keep plenty on hand. Sutliff is an excellent blender and uses quality tobaccos.

Could you explain what you mean by a "strong" flavor? I would be happy to suggest other tobacco blends but don't want to steer you the wrong direction. For instance, I think Arango Balkan Supreme has a strong flavor and would happily recommend it. The problem is that it is nothing like SWRA and as far as flavor goes I wouldn't personally consider SWRA as having a particularly strong flavor. In addition Balkan Supreme has a fair portion of Latakia (which SWRA doesn't) and if you don't like Latakia then you certainly won't like Balkan Supreme. That's why we are all kind of in a holding pattern until we hear back from you on what you think of the Amphora sampler. If you love the English blend then sure, get the Balkan Supreme. If you love the Kentucky, get some Old Dark Fired.

See where I'm driving?

What I mean it has the most flavor it's like I said, the others all tasted the same. I could taste something different in SWRA. The others to me taste like plain tobacco. Nothing wrong with plain tobacco but I wanted something to give me that WOW! factor.
I can understand you holding back on something to different but as the saying goes, "nothing ventured nothing gained".

Top Bottom