What's new

Simpson, I hate you #SBAD #BAD #MAD

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Over the last decade plus I’ve owned about 45 Simpson brushes of practically all shapes and sizes. In the process of a house move now and I’m certain I’ve a Polo 10 Somerset and a Colonel in a box I haven’t unpacked. Bought my first one 13 years ago. Lovely items they are.
D61A0792-1633-44CC-BD22-E8897875D9F4.jpeg

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Everyone praises the Chubbies, and justifiably so, but it is in the smaller luxury knots where Simpsons really shines and where they continue to distinguish themselves. Few brushmakers provide luxury in knots of 24mm and smaller, but Simpson does.

I love the Chubby 2, but honestly my Chubby 1 Super might be the best Simpson’s brush I have used altogether.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I'm doubling down on (jokingly) hating Simpson now, since they don't provide tracking, or shipping confirmation for basic airmail deliveries...

the suspense is terrible :)

The past few I bought direct actually did have tracking, but not until USPS got a hold of the parcel from Customs.

Happy to see it isn't that ugly label design they used on their new Super badger Tulips.

Yes - I was surprised to see that development. Wonder when it happened. It seems like they're using it on some of the curvier models (e.g., Harvard series as well). I'd been thinking to sell a Harvard 2 I'm not using, thinking I could just pick up another some day if I changed my mind. But then I saw the new label design and that was the end of that thought.

Love the look of their brushes and the feel of most that I've owned. I do wish for more consistency at times, but then again, their brushes are handmade, and they know what they're doing.

I find it odd they don't provide brush stands. They should be included with all their brushes considering they're not exactly smart price items. I wound up making a stand for my Chubby 3 by bending aluminium wire. I wouldn't know where to find a stand for such a huge handle.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Just bagged a Duke 3 SiLVERTiP in faux ivory! I’ve been waiting some time for this brush to come along. This brush is pretty hard to come by. My Simpson line up is pretty well rounded now. All I’m missing is a pure.

View attachment 1139515
Congratulations! Please share your experiences after it arrives. The Duke 3 in SiLVERTiP 2 band is the most plush and luxurious shaving brush I've ever used!

I have it in hand... test lathers at lunch time and a shave tomorrow morning!

I'll report back with my findings!!

Attachments

• 0819201029.jpg
    0819201029.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 65
First shave with it confirms that this is a sweet little brush, though the Emperor 1 might remain my favorite Simpson, despite my usual preference for Finest/2-band.

It's got enough backbone and springiness to provide some decent scrub, but soft enough tips to keep it comfortable, petty much what I expect from decent Finest bristle. It falls short of the softest tips I've experienced in finest (oddly that honor goes to a Frank shaving brush that was $30), but if it didn't then why would Simpson bother having the "Manchurian" bristle as their ultimate grade?

Jury is still out on the Tulip handle, I certainly don't dislike it, but the shallow stubby PJ-like base with a top ring is going to take a little getting used to. I do like the way that the top ring stops soap from getting to the handle though, that's a really nice feature, probably even more so for bowl latherers...

A few more shaves in and I can confirm that it's a 100% keeper, it also confirms my preference for fan shaped knots, especially in Finest/2-band, that would probably be the only thing I'd change about this brush. That said, it's a great brush as a bulb, just splitting hairs ;)

I find it odd they don't provide brush stands. They should be included with all their brushes considering they're not exactly smart price items. I wound up making a stand for my Chubby 3 by bending aluminium wire. I wouldn't know where to find a stand for such a huge handle.

Maybe they think you're supposed to dry the brush standing on its base, otherwise they'd put the label on upside down.... 😕

Edwin Jaggers come with stands and they print the name on so that it looks right side up when it's on the stand.

First shave with it confirms that this is a sweet little brush, though the Emperor 1 might remain my favorite Simpson, despite my usual preference for Finest/2-band.

It's got enough backbone and springiness to provide some decent scrub, but soft enough tips to keep it comfortable, petty much what I expect from decent Finest bristle. It falls short of the softest tips I've experienced in finest (oddly that honor goes to a Frank shaving brush that was $30), but if it didn't then why would Simpson bother having the "Manchurian" bristle as their ultimate grade?

Jury is still out on the Tulip handle, I certainly don't dislike it, but the shallow stubby PJ-like base with a top ring is going to take a little getting used to. I do like the way that the top ring stops soap from getting to the handle though, that's a really nice feature, probably even more so for bowl latherers...
Don’t drop big dollars on Manchurian expecting the ultimate in softness. I’ve had two and they have ranged from very soft tips in the Chubby 1 to a bit prickly in the Chubby 2. Ultimate backbone yes. Ultimate softness, not necessarily. Manchurian has a high price tag but it’s kind of a niche product. It’s not for everyone and I’m not convinced that it’s for me. It’s nice to have one but even if cost was no object, I prefer the other grades.

Yiasou Xirafakis,

The Superior Shave in Jacksonville, Florida makes stands for many Simpson brushes, including the Chubby 3. Thesuperiorshave.com Great prices on new Simpson brushes. That I know of, you can only order new Simpson Manbhurians directly from them, not other retailers. Someone please correct me if I am wrong and you know of someone who retails new Simpson Manchurians.

Take care,

Nick P.

Congratulations! Please share your experiences after it arrives. The Duke 3 in SiLVERTiP 2 band is the most plush and luxurious shaving brush I've ever used!
It’s taken a while but the Duke 3 SiLVERTiP has finally arrived in Australia from the Isle of Man. I used it today for the first time and it totally blew me away. I agree with your assessment 100%. Hands down the plushest and most luxurious brush I’ve ever used.

Soft, springy and dense. Zero scritch, nice bloom and good flow through. It’s a great size and kicks up lather like a storm. The knot is more of a bulb shape than my other Simpsons which lean more toward hybrid. Bulbs are my favorite knot shape so this is a welcome deviation from the norm. There was not a single hair lost in the first deployment which is always a good omen for things to come. Like you this is now the sweetest brush I own.

I can’t be sure if they’re all this good or if I just got lucky. All I can say is that this one is off the charts. The current batch of SiLVERTiP seems to be something very special.

468A51F6-8D86-4E1B-B00C-F7F5B46F10F6.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently bought a Chubby 2 in super from amazon and am still waiting for it's arrival. In the mean time, I was browsing the simpson's website and almost pulled the trigger on a Chubby 2 in 2 band silvertip as that is my preferred hair (although I have yet to try simpson's version of it).

After looking at these pictures, I may need to head back and either pull the trigger or opt for a different handle in the same hair grade.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have a Simpson Classic 2 and a PJ2. The Classic is in best and the PJ in super. I'm remote from my home at the moment and the Classic is the brush I took ( and one horse brush - no fan of boar). Any future Simpsons I acquire will be the super grade. The best is scritchy.

It’s taken a while but the Duke 3 SiLVERTiP has finally arrived in Australia from the Isle of Man. I used it today for the first time and it totally blew me away. I agree with your assessment 100%. Hands down the plushest and most luxurious brush I’ve ever used.

Soft, springy and dense. Zero scritch, nice bloom and good flow through. It’s a great size and kicks up lather like a storm. The knot is more of a bulb shape than my other Simpsons which lean more toward hybrid. Bulbs are my favorite knot shape so this is a welcome deviation from the norm. There was not a single hair lost in the first deployment which is always a good omen for things to come. Like you this is now the sweetest brush I own.

I can’t be sure if they’re all this good or if I just got lucky. All I can say is that this one is off the charts. The current batch of SiLVERTiP seems to be something very special.

View attachment 1163657

Congratulations!! Simply lovely!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom