What's new

Recommend a tobacco please.

Mold might be your bigger concern. A ship I was on pulled into Thailand several times a few years back, beautiful country. I had a Mossy Oak three piece suit tailored with blaze orange lining...a tragedy but a fun one :lol:
Hadn't thought of that. I can keep the tobacco in an air conditioned room but then I'll be back to worrying about drying. Still, dry tobacco is easier to fix than mouldy tobacco.

I haven't had any problems with mould in general in this house, apart from on back scrubbers, which I solved by not leaving them hanging in the bathroom, so I'm not sure whether it could be an issue or not. Only one way to find out I guess!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Yea I just looked at my cellar on tobaccocellar and I currently have 76 open containers. Way too many. Way, Way, Way too many. Granted, some of them are marked open and haven't been smoked in months but they aren't cellared for long term aging. I'd like to get that number down to something like 20 tops. It's going to take me a long long time to smoke down to that number which is fine. It's sort of like trying to have a baby, the "work" is the fun part 🤣

Seventy-six! I didn't even know there were that many varieties. You must have a spreadsheet to keep up with that many.

Cellering is a term of art. As long as they are stored within the safe environmental parameters, they'll age anywhere. Get them into smaller masons if you have a concern about sealing over long durations.

You should open a tobacco store. Seriously, you have a tremendous passion for this avocation.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Seventy-six! I didn't even know there were that many varieties. You must have a spreadsheet to keep up with that many.

Cellering is a term of art. As long as they are stored within the safe environmental parameters, they'll age anywhere. Get them into smaller masons if you have a concern about sealing over long durations.

You should open a tobacco store. Seriously, you have a tremendous passion for this avocation.
Ehh...passion...problem...different people have different terms for what I have. I like variety. My acquisitions are becoming more selective though.

Yea I just looked at my cellar on tobaccocellar and I currently have 76 open containers. Way too many. Way, Way, Way too many. Granted, some of them are marked open and haven't been smoked in months but they aren't cellared for long term aging. I'd like to get that number down to something like 20 tops. It's going to take me a long long time to smoke down to that number which is fine. It's sort of like trying to have a baby, the "work" is the fun part 🤣
With all due respect, you are thinking about this all wrong, IMHO. I used to worry about my number of open jars, but have decided it is nothing to be concerned about. I’ve more open than you I believe.
It is only tobacco and is for our enjoyment. If properly stored, the smoking shelf stock should provide a wide range of choices; tobacco to match your mood and the occasion. And besides, it’s nobody’s business but your own. Enjoy the choice!

With all due respect, you are thinking about this all wrong, IMHO. I used to worry about my number of open jars, but have decided it is nothing to be concerned about. I’ve more open than you I believe.
It is only tobacco and is for our enjoyment. If properly stored, the smoking shelf stock should provide a wide range of choices; tobacco to match your mood and the occasion. And besides, it’s nobody’s business but your own. Enjoy the choice!

This is true what you say but he doesn't want his tobacco to dry out then it won't taste as good.

brandaves

I can get on board with that idea, and have since entering into the hobby. I have just noticed how much I'm learning by sticking with a blend for an extended period and it helps me better to hone in on the blends that I REALLY love and ones I just like situationaly. It's helping me to build my cellar more efficiently. I'm not limiting myself because I have to, I'm doing it right now in order to exercise some change in my habits and learn something about my personal tastes. Perhaps I'll fall off and go back to a what ever, when ever mindset but for now this is helping me.

brandaves

This is true what you say but he doesn't want his tobacco to dry out then it won't taste as good.
I store all of my opened blends in mason jars so I'm not worried about them drying out. I just want to explore them more fully and understand my own tastes a bit better. So long as you take care in your storage there shouldn't be too much worry that your stuff will dry out.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I kind of remember that trying to have a baby thing. Recall it was even better than smoking. Now I just smoke.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If think I have at least that many open myself. I don’t open any new tobacco anymore out of guilt lol. First world problems...

I don't smoke a pipe but my drum teacher did when I was about 14 years old. He smoked only Captain Black Gold. My father occassionally smoked a pipe and he smoked Captain Black regular. I loved how both smelled as the one not smoking. Clearly I have no idea how they each taste. My entire drum room smelled amazing after each lesson and when he passed away, every time I smell Captain Black or see a package of it I think of him. To my uneducated nose, it's good stuff. Take that with a grain of salt. Or less.

I can get on board with that idea, and have since entering into the hobby. I have just noticed how much I'm learning by sticking with a blend for an extended period and it helps me better to hone in on the blends that I REALLY love and ones I just like situationaly. It's helping me to build my cellar more efficiently. I'm not limiting myself because I have to, I'm doing it right now in order to exercise some change in my habits and learn something about my personal tastes. Perhaps I'll fall off and go back to a what ever, when ever mindset but for now this is helping me.
Yea, a year ago or so, I decided to smoke down the smoke shelf to a “reasonable” number of open jars. I’ve since altered my understanding of “reasonable”.

As I think about it, one of my issues with having “too many” blends open for smoking is that when I empty one of my smoking jars, I tend to refill it from cellar stock, especially if it is in the top half of favored blends. Thus I never reduce the number of open jars. The most controlling factor turns out to be room to gracefully store the smoking jars.

brandaves

As I think about it, one of my issues with having “too many” blends open for smoking is that when I empty one of my smoking jars, I tend to refill it from cellar stock, especially if it is in the top half of favored blends. Thus I never reduce the number of open jars. The most controlling factor turns out to be room to gracefully store the smoking jars.
A good problem to have.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I have way less open than you guys, but it makes me very uncomfortable all the same.

I currently have the following unsealed:
  • 10 small (120mm) screw top jars with assorted tobaccos in.
  • A 1 litre clip top Kilner jar with the "reject blend" in
  • 10 little ziploc bags (down from 40) that the 5g samples came in, all part smoked.
  • 15 pouches that loose tobacco comes wrapped in, with 10g-15g samples in them. Some are part smoked.
All the ziploc bags and pouches are inside yet another ziploc bag, but I will be very happy to get down to just the 10 screw top jars. I refuse to open any of the tins in the bottom drawer, until I've smoked all the stuff that isn't in jars, and have smoked enough of the jarred stuff to free the jars up for transferring the tin contents into.

I hope to upgrade those 10 jars with amber glass ones, and never have more tobacco open than will fit inside - bearing in mind I need at least two jars for a 50g tin of tobacco. So effectively five tins worth.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This is a bit of a novel twist for me. In the past, I would buy a tin or a few ounces of bulk, smoke it until it was gone then go to the tobacconist and get the same or something different and smoke that till it was gone. I did this for years. Now I have maybe fifteen or twenty blends, mostly one or two ounces jarred up and dip into one from time to time but mostly I rotate Velvet, Half and Half and Surliff Ready Rubbed. I’ve never purposely cellared tobacco but now have most of a pound of Sutliff Victoria put away in quart jars. What a bore I am 😂.

So far I've tried Carter Hall, Velvet, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, and Amphora Virginia Blend. So far I like the Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic the best.
I think next I will try the Amphora English Blend or the Amphora Kentucky Blend. I hope one of these samples blows my socks off. Ha!

Oh man you have a whole world to discover! I’m not a big fan of the aromatic (flavored) tobaccos, but that’s where many of us start.
Lanes 1Q is an aromatic that is pretty ubiquitous and might be a step up from your pouch tobaccos. Can be ordered from places like smokingpipes.com.

Top Bottom