What's new

So you talked me into it

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I quote the Master . . .

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;

I am not known much for planning. I tend to leap into my enthusiasms with both feet and everything that is attached. Trying to quell that with piping but, as you so eloquently mentioned, there is an abundance of experiences to be had.

So, yes, I will continue to follow along . . . but I think I will start my own thread for my journey. One, it will keep me from cluttering yours with inane questions and, two, will give me my own catalogue of lessons.

Cheers.
Speaking of your path @steveclarkus I bet you'd love Ken Byron Ventures Burlier Morning Pipe...its a new to me favorite.

So a guy at work got himself a new pipe. I didn't know he smoked anything, but apparently he smoked a pipe off and on. I congratulated him and his new churchwarden he got from Etsy. It just showed up today (@brandaves , it was 2 weeks late from USPS) and his girlfriend opened the package and sent him pictures. I gifted him the last 4-5 bowls left in my CH pouch. I don't know how CH will taste out of a churchwarden, but it saves him a trip around the beltway in rush hour traffic, and payday is still a couple days away.

It is a very beautiful smooth polished meerschaum apple with a 12" curved stem. One of the very (very) few churchwardens I'd consider owning. There's a few shapes like that, I'm not sure if I'm fascinated by them or horrified. Oom Pauls and freehand also fit into that category. I see them and for whatever reason I find them beautiful, I think? But some of the ridiculous proportions just irk the generations of engineers in my genetic makeup.

I guess in the end, that's why there's so much variety. So that in the end, everyone gets to smoke from what they like!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
There's a few shapes like that, I'm not sure if I'm fascinated by them or horrified. Oom Pauls and freehand also fit into that category. I see them and for whatever reason I find them beautiful, I think? But some of the ridiculous proportions just irk the generations of engineers in my genetic makeup.

I thought it was just me!

I've seen some wonderfully artistic carvings, that I'd hate to try and use as a functional item. I'm far more interested what's going on inside the pipe than outside. Even the simple function of staying upright when it's put down is in such dire shortage. Being able to pass a pipe cleaner through is another. If a pipe is bent, and won't freely pass a cleaner, I think it should have a stem that can be safely removed when the pipe is hot.

That's one of the things which limits me to buying cheap pipes. The pricey ones are for the most part just meant to look nice. I smoke a pipe at home. Nobody's going to see it. I don't smoke in front of a mirror, admiring myself. I want it to smoke well, be comfortable in hand, be maintainable mid smoke, and not vomit hot coals if I have to put it down for a bit. If more thought went into that, and less time spent prettying it up, I might be willing to spend a little more.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Me three . . . I look at some of these pipes and think, "just because you CAN do a thing, does not mean that you SHOULD do a thing". It's unquestionable that there is a vision and ingenuity in these, but give me a practical before anything else.
There are some interesting beauties out there for sure. I’ve always wanted one of those Danish freehand jobs but the more I ponder it, I think “nah”. I’ve got several good briars but nine times out of ten, I find myself smoking a $5 cob. I’m not casual about pipe smoking, maybe ten bowls a day, and I would sooner spend the money on tobacco.

It's a behavior I see other places too. I was out fishing not too long ago. I had on my old beat up Chuck Taylors, ripped up jean shorts, and a faded pocket tee. And just the gear I know produces in that particular hole. I look over at the guy who brought everything in the Cabalas fishing catalog, who's sunglasses coat more than my car, and was dressed for a photo shoot as an outdoorsy kind of guy. Neither one of us is wrong, we're both out having fun fishing. But for two different reasons I think.

So this past week has been a long one and at times very rough. The kind of week where I didn't make a Manhattan last night, I made a pitcher of them. But to clear up any confusion, it's not drunk if it's medicinal 😉. But that pitcher of medical Manhattans led me to do stupid things.

Stupid things like smoke 3 bowls from my MM Legend back to back to back. Pipe didn't cool down or even get cleaned beyond knocking against a fallen log. Puff, damn is dead, knock, fill, light. Stupid things like fall back on muscle memory. Hmm, tobacco smoke in my lungs, I should inhale this. Luckily for me, Haunted Bookshop is more on the forgiving end of the spectrum. Or I didn't care.

The good news is that the pipe is just fine. Those cobs can be tough. It turns out tougher than the smoker at times. I learned that I'm not supposed to pretty much inhale Haunted Bookshop mixed with Jackknife Plug (about 3.5 to 1) steadily for about an hour and a half. I'm definitely not supposed to do that on a night of Jamaican food for dinner.

The best part of the night (pipe related) was learning that I can smoke 3 consecutive bowls from a cob. It's not ideal, and I don't plan on doing it again. But it's good to know I can.
Following right on its heels, and much more useful, is now knowing that Jackknife Plug makes a very decent blender. Punched up the HB without adding a lot of flavor. Some more richness, definitely up the body and nicotine levels. I think I found it's place. Punching up weaker blends or blends that need a kick of nic. I think tonight I'll try it with Bw/oB tonight.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So this past week has been a long one and at times very rough. The kind of week where I didn't make a Manhattan last night, I made a pitcher of them. But to clear up any confusion, it's not drunk if it's medicinal 😉. But that pitcher of medical Manhattans led me to do stupid things.

Stupid things like smoke 3 bowls from my MM Legend back to back to back. Pipe didn't cool down or even get cleaned beyond knocking against a fallen log. Puff, damn is dead, knock, fill, light. Stupid things like fall back on muscle memory. Hmm, tobacco smoke in my lungs, I should inhale this. Luckily for me, Haunted Bookshop is more on the forgiving end of the spectrum. Or I didn't care.

The good news is that the pipe is just fine. Those cobs can be tough. It turns out tougher than the smoker at times. I learned that I'm not supposed to pretty much inhale Haunted Bookshop mixed with Jackknife Plug (about 3.5 to 1) steadily for about an hour and a half. I'm definitely not supposed to do that on a night of Jamaican food for dinner.

The best part of the night (pipe related) was learning that I can smoke 3 consecutive bowls from a cob. It's not ideal, and I don't plan on doing it again. But it's good to know I can.
Following right on its heels, and much more useful, is now knowing that Jackknife Plug makes a very decent blender. Punched up the HB without adding a lot of flavor. Some more richness, definitely up the body and nicotine levels. I think I found it's place. Punching up weaker blends or blends that need a kick of nic. I think tonight I'll try it with Bw/oB tonight.
Sounds like a real good evening to me 😆.

Sounds like a real good evening to me 😆.
It was. If nothing else, it's one of those gentle reminders I'm not 22 anymore and can't just bounce back from a pitcher full of Manhattans. It took most of Saturday to recover. To anyone reading this, try not to get older. The hangovers get brutal!

So I tried something new this past week. My old Medico Jet Stream has been starting to get a bit sour. So I Monday night I gave it a whiskey bath. Well, Makers Mark is a bourbon, but close enough. Tomorrow I load it up and see how I did. I hope I did this right. I think one of the PS LBF should test it out nicely.

I've also come to the conclusion that I should hold off on purchasing any more at the moment. I have enough to work through at the moment. I figure I'll save up my money for the 2021 LE. And there's a pair of Brigham pipes (Heritage bent Dublin and the Klondike Canadian) I really like the looks of. I want to be able to grab them both (I can't choose) at the same time. So I need to save up for that.

Luckily for me, I have quite a bit of good tobacco and many cheap yet fun pipes. Certainly worse positions to be in!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So I tried something new this past week. My old Medico Jet Stream has been starting to get a bit sour. So I Monday night I gave it a whiskey bath. Well, Makers Mark is a bourbon, but close enough. Tomorrow I load it up and see how I did. I hope I did this right. I think one of the PS LBF should test it out nicely.

I've also come to the conclusion that I should hold off on purchasing any more at the moment. I have enough to work through at the moment. I figure I'll save up my money for the 2021 LE. And there's a pair of Brigham pipes (Heritage bent Dublin and the Klondike Canadian) I really like the looks of. I want to be able to grab them both (I can't choose) at the same time. So I need to save up for that.

Luckily for me, I have quite a bit of good tobacco and many cheap yet fun pipes. Certainly worse positions to be in!
I use the Artful Codger’s concoction of Listerine spiked with clove oil. Cleans and sweetens. Of course, we’re I to use whisky, I would use scotch 😊

As much as I'd love to use scotch, especially in my dedicated English pipes, I am not really in a place to use good scotch as a cleaning agent.

Although now I'm wondering if I can find a vermouth flavored tobacco. Maybe an eighth of a pinch in a whiskey flavor tobacco would make a smoking Manhattan?

brandaves

I use Everclear to clean my pipes, as fo drink of choice...
20200827_094948.jpg

Got it, got it, need it, got it, got it, hate it, got it . . .

SWMBO and I will be doing something similar in our spare spare bedroom, which is now our TV den.

brandaves

That’s a really cool sign, and cupboard. Is that a country gentleman and a diplomat I spy at the bottom?

EDIT: I only just noticed all the other pipes. I must be blind.
Thank you sir! Yes you are correct about the two cobs at the bottom. The cobs on the first shelf are actually MM's from an earlier era. When exactly I'm not sure of...My regular rotation pipes are all in this cabinet. It's a bit cluttered at the moment unfortunately...

Thank you sir! Yes you are correct about the two cobs at the bottom. The cobs on the first shelf are actually MM's from an earlier era. When exactly I'm not sure of...My regular rotation pipes are all in this cabinet. It's a bit cluttered at the moment unfortunately...
I could probably live in there for a few days, maybe a couple of weeks. :)

Top Bottom