What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

I spend more time contemplating which razor to use next......it has become more difficult since I've collected what I'm happy with.

first I have to pick which soap (which I'm very prone to changing by the time I wake up)........then the razor.

it was much simpler when I only owned a couple.

camo

Sounds like you’ve got some pretty tough first world problems there @camoloc!

I’ve found that my brushes have started to naturally pair off with my soaps which makes things easier. Has this happened to anyone else? I also tend to stick with a razor for about a week. Soaps are generally 3-4 days. It’s more of a slow burn rotation. It doesn’t make for exciting shave of the day picks but it gives me a chance to dial in and enjoy each piece of equipment.

Spent a decade DE shaving before getting into straights, so the experience definitely comes in handy, both shaving and gauging the sharpness of the blade.
Second SR shave ever went well today - just a few nicks in the usual difficult places like jaw/chine, that closed up perfectly after I hopped in the shower, and had to touch up around the lips and chin with my DE afterwards. But I could tell pretty well where my blade's sharpness fell.
Smooth enough on the cheek and the neck but slight pulling sensation around the lips, "Oh, that's like a feather DE blade after a week, or a Shark out of the wrapper". So I know my time spent on the stones and lapping film worked, but the sharpness isn't quite there yet until I achieve that new-feather-blade, effortless DE shave.

But to the new shavers, yes - lighter is better. With a truly sharp blade, the weight of the razor, at least with DE shaves, is enough to cut hair. Pressure is only needed with duller blades

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Spent a decade DE shaving before getting into straights, so the experience definitely comes in handy, both shaving and gauging the sharpness of the blade.
Second SR shave ever went well today - just a few nicks in the usual difficult places like jaw/chine, that closed up perfectly after I hopped in the shower, and had to touch up around the lips and chin with my DE afterwards. But I could tell pretty well where my blade's sharpness fell.
Smooth enough on the cheek and the neck but slight pulling sensation around the lips, "Oh, that's like a feather DE blade after a week, or a Shark out of the wrapper". So I know my time spent on the stones and lapping film worked, but the sharpness isn't quite there yet until I achieve that new-feather-blade, effortless DE shave.

But to the new shavers, yes - lighter is better. With a truly sharp blade, the weight of the razor, at least with DE shaves, is enough to cut hair. Pressure is only needed with duller blades
Welcome to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving.

If your SR is shaving well but not quite good enough, go back to the films and try 50 light laps on each of 5um, 3um, 1um and then 1um with a sheet of wet paper under it.

You can also take the edge even further with 0.5um, 0.25um and 0.1um diamond pasted balsa strops, for that atomic edge.

while I like diamond progression finished edges.......other methods are good too and have their rightful place. black extra fine Arkansas finishes are extremely smooth and nice. peaks my interests even more with exploring Jnat finishes..

camo

Weight: Large and heavy.

I prefer larger hollow grind blades in the 6-8/8 range and more recently experience with heavier 5/8 near wedges. Weight in razors make a big difference for me.

Tonight I learned just how sharp a razor that you think the bevel isn't set on actually Is!

Yeah I got a bad boo boo.

Oh and if you have a freakish left hand that randomly likes to flail sometimes... Well I guess the lord has a funny way of telling you to give up and go to bed.

:sob:Ha, worlds smallest violin.

Some razors shave better than others. My TI can’t seem get close to the level of closeness that my Heljestrand and RA deliver. All razors are finished the exact same way and appear to be equally sharp. I can’t understand this. The only difference seems to be a heavier (less hollow) grind in the TI along with a slightly wider blade.

Last edited:
don't neglect razors in your collection......throw them into the rotation every once in a while.

camo
I keep about 30-40 razors in active rotation. The rest get sold and so I keep updating my collection. This approach has served me well once I made peace knowing somethings got to go when I obtain something new. It also refined my acquisition disorder, I’m a lot more selective now. I would be very content owning 30-40 exceptional razors.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I haven’t given up SR shaving despite developing a slight hand tremble. I have never been confident with my technique, but still enjoy the experience. An unsteady hand has made it more of an adventure. Good news is, my left hand is fairly steady. Im going to have to adapt and use my left more, as I did this morning with mixed results. Finished the cleanup with a trusted DE razor that is harmless with my unsteady hand. I’ll see how it goes.

I haven’t given up SR shaving despite developing a slight hand tremble. I have never been confident with my technique, but still enjoy the experience. An unsteady hand has made it more of an adventure. Good news is, my left hand is fairly steady. Im going to have to adapt and use my left more, as I did this morning with mixed results. Finished the cleanup with a trusted DE razor that is harmless with my unsteady hand. I’ll see how it goes.

keep after it!!!!

before I began my SR journey I read about the L and R hand dilemas users face. when i started, I went out of the gate using both hands without looking back.......and I'm glad I did. becomes second nature as you move along. im just as nimble the Left as my Right and don't think much about it now.

persevere.....keep at her.....and you'll be alright.

camo

Some razors shave better than others. My TI can’t seem get close to the level of closeness that my Heljestrand and RA deliver. All razors are finished the exact same way and appear to be equally sharp. I can’t understand this. The only difference seems to be a heavier (less hollow) grind in the TI along with a slightly wider blade.

What about bevel angle and material?

What about bevel angle and material?
Thiers Issard
19.15 degrees, Japanese C135 Carbon Steel

Ralf Aust
17.55 degrees, German? Carbon Steel

Heljestrand MK31
17.81 degrees, Swedish Carbon Steel

It looks like this has answered my question. To me the Heljestrand feels the sharpest with the Ralf Aust a very close second. The TI is sharp but not quite the level of the others. This is quite noticeable in the shave result not so much in the hanging hair and arm hair lopping tests.

If bevel angle is such an important value it should really be advertised with new razors.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Unfortunately it is not as easy as just knowing the bevel angle.

I agree that bevel angle is very important to the level of shave comfort. It is a balancing act between a more acute bevel angle and edge longevity, with steel hardness and steel toughness thrown into the equation.

The edge on a less acute bevel angle will generally last longed. A harder steel will not support a more acute bevel angle while a tougher steel will.

Thiers Issard
19.15 degrees, Japanese C135 Carbon Steel

Ralf Aust
17.55 degrees, German? Carbon Steel

Heljestrand MK31
17.81 degrees, Swedish Carbon Steel

It looks like this has answered my question. To me the Heljestrand feels the sharpest with the Ralf Aust a very close second. The TI is sharp but not quite the level of the others. This is quite noticeable in the shave result not so much in the hanging hair and arm hair lopping tests.

If bevel angle is such an important value it should really be advertised with new razors.

some apexes also respond better with a different finish. Still shave great, it maybe not the same as another razor with the same finish.

Got a good shave from the TI today. I honed and stropped this razor up to scary sharp and used a slightly different approach today. Slightly steeper blade angle and and a bit of buffing gave a great result. It seems that some razors require a slightly different technique.

Top Bottom