What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

Razor: GEM 1901 Junior Lather Catcher
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (4)
Brush: DScosmetic 25mm Boar/Badger mix
Pre-Shave: Face Scrub, Thayers, Hyaluronic Acid
Lather: Sapinificio Varesino Desert Vetiver
Aftershave: Phoenix Artisan Lo-Haïku

Additional Care:
Clubman: Pinauds Finest Powder
View attachment 1145558
View attachment 1145561View attachment 1145562
Shave Rating: 9.9/10
Come Along Sherman...To the Way-Back Machine!View attachment 1145566
This was my most historical shave to date. This GEM razor is well over a hundred years old and I did not know what to expect. Am I going to hurt myself? Who knows how many times this razor has been dropped or sat on in all that time.
Well, here goes!
Wow! How satisfying! The razor passed over my face so smoothly with this wonderful feedback that says “all is well”. BBS with no post shave irritation.
Man oh man, Orville and Wilbur may not have made their first flight yet, but they sure had an option for a world class shave.

Stay safe everyone. Together we’ll shave ourselves out of this predicament.

nice GEM Jr. bar LC!!!!!

one of man's finer inventions right there.

camo

Razor: Timeless Bronze TRBR38
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Duke Cannon Supply Company Ice Cold Balm
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
Rating Ten
PSX_20200825_101335.jpg

Rating - 5.5 out of 10, 2 day growth

SOTD

Arko
King C Gillette handle
1950's Gillette Travel Tech head
Astra SS (2)
Omega 636 21mm silvertip
Afta

I'm not a fan of the Travel Tech I picked up in the wild for $5. I was glad the KCG handle fit the head and was hoping maybe the longer handle would change my mind and provide a better shave. NOPE. This shave left me with stubble and irritation, and 2 very small weepers, even with one of my favorite blades, the Astra blue.

I'm also not a big Arko fan but was using for Arko August 2020. I have better luck bowl lathering (scraping off a few small slices of soap) than face lathering, which I tried today. Initially I thought the Omega did a really good job, using both painting and circular strokes. I'll try another face lather with a razor combination I know I like. A bit of experimentation just didn't work very well today, too many variables were changed.
SOTD 20 8 26.jpg

Pre-shave:- Argan Oil soap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Taylors Almond Cream

Brush:- Synthetic

Soap/Cream:- Taylors of Bond Street

Razor/Blade:- Wilkinson Classic and Gillette 7 o’clock
Post/After-shave: Cocoa Butter and night cream mix
Fragrance:- Lacoste

Taylors Almond Shaving Cream is perfect, clogs a little in the Wilkinson but that’s not down to the cream.

8/10

18.02.jpg

Barrister and Mann Terror has been on my radar. Can you describe the scent?

It's hard to say it has a 'scent', like other scented soaps and aftershaves.
I'm not refined enough to get the various scents in a soap, but there is not menthol smell, as they don't use it.
It really just smells cold, like walking outside in below freezing temps and taking in a deep breath through your nose.

Wed Shave

Razor: P3 Psycho
Blade: Astra Superior Platnium
Brush: PAA The Green Ray - 24mm Hybrid Tribble Synthetic Brush
Soap: PAA Atomic Bay Rum
Aftershave: wipe down with Seabreeze, followed by PAA Atomic Bay Rum
Bowl: Fleamarket find.

Today's shave was pretty good. The Psycho is a fun razor to prepare for use.
Did a 3 pass shave, WTG, XTG, ATG.
First time using an Astra blade. Not bad, but a little stubble left below the jaw line, but I didn't want to keep going over it and cause irritation. Did get a massive tug when going XTG on the right side of my face, but surprisingly I didn't draw blood. I take the blame for not taking my time making sure I had the proper angle on the razor.
I'll have to try these blades in another razor to see if it works better in a different set up.
PAA Atomic Bay Rum: the usual great performance from PAA products.
Did get a face full of feedback when wiping down with the Seabreeze, but it ended quickly. The Atomic Bay Rum aftershave is really nice. Not as strong as Dapper Doc, but not weak like the new formula Old Spice that seems to disappear within 10 minutes.

I forgot to include the razor in the pic.. Not sure how that escaped my attention, but it did...
This shave get an 8.75.

(no shave tomorrow, as I want to get a good 30 hours of growth before I shave again. Will be traveling to Auburn Al to take my folks pup in for cancer treatment, and after I drop him off for his treatment, I'll return to the room to take a nice, leasurily shower and shave before checkout)

IMG_5413.JPG

Last edited:
Razor: Blackland Blackbird
Blade: GSB - 3
Brush: Craving Shaving Midnight Green w/26mm Fan Fiction knot
Lather: Captains Choice Bay Rum
Pre shave: NA
Aftershave: Ogallala Bay Rum
Additional Care: Osma Alumn Block / Thayers Rose Petal With Hazel / Hyaluronic Acid / Every Man Jack Face Lotion
9.5/10 BBS
Shave82620.jpeg

Wow! I can't believe I had not shaved with the Blackbird since July 1st.........That will definitely change.
No much to say but what a great shave! This razor has blade feel but mows down hair effortlessly. I find the shave comfortable and efficient. It did bite me 2 times, on my chin and adam's apple, because I got cocky and careless. I deserved that. Otherwise 3 pass shave with zero irritation. The post shave face feel is what impresses me about this razor. My face feels like a "sheet of glass" BBS

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
It's hard to say it has a 'scent', like other scented soaps and aftershaves.
I'm not refined enough to get the various scents in a soap, but there is not menthol smell, as they don't use it.
It really just smells cold, like walking outside in below freezing temps and taking in a deep breath through your nose.

Sounds like it's heavy on ozone. I may give this a shot. Thanks for the reply.

Before: Hot shower, Stirling pre-shave soap.
Pre, Cream & AS: Proraso Green
Razor: Thunderbird 2, the BB Vector
Blade: Schick Proline P-30, 5th shave
Brush: Brad Sears Gus 28mm Estate knot
Days since last shave: 2

Rating: 9 out of 10. I haven't used a blade for 5 shaves since the old cart days, and I was pleased, though I think this is the last shave on that blade. If you are still thinking to yourself, "I really need to check out a Brad Sears Estate knot," then stop thinking and do eet. The Vector is the bomb. I love that razor. Been on a Proraso kick lately, and enjoying the ease of prep. Smoooove.

Hope you and yours are well.

It never goes wrong when I use it. Leaf Razor head shave rating is 10/10

Pre-Shave Oil: Alonzo’s
Soap: Stirling Black Cherry
Blade: Astra SP
Aftershave: Rose Thayers Witch Hazel and Proraso white balm

I have the razor for over a month.
Today I finally crack open the pack of free blades that came with it.
Was very surprised to see Astra SP. All this time I thought it was some generic Leaf brand that they included.

Pre-shave: Long shower
Cream: Proraso White
Razor: Pre-war Tech (fat handle)
Blade: Astra SS (1)
Brush: Omega Boar
Aftershave: Lilac Vegetal
Balm: Nivea Sensitive

Astras are one of those blades that I really want to like, but I keep trying and I don't learn that you shouldn't "try to like something". Post shave feel is great, and closeness is okay, but no matter how hard I try, these blades bite me. It was worth a shot testing pairing this blade in my fat handle, but alas, same outcome as usual. It was a fun experiment.

7/10. I gave it an extra point due to my love of Lilac Vegetal. (The girlfriend is currently asleep, so I get to use it tonight LOL).

My Wednesday Morning Shave
Prep: Warm shower​
One pass shave w/ touch-up​
Razor: Merkur Progress Long Handle​
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)​
Pre-Shave Cream: Proraso Red, Sandalwood & Shea Butter​
Brush: Semogue 1305 Pure Bristle Boar​
Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap​
Aftershave: Proraso Blue Alcohol Free Aftershave Balm, Aloe and Vitamin E​
Rating: 9.8/10 DFS!!! No nicks. No irritation.
  • This brush still has a ways to go to be broken in
  • The Nacet was much more tame with one shave on it
proxy.php

Last edited:
It’ll be one year of shaving next week. After waves of irritation battles, I FINALLY understand razor and blade pairing!

Preshave Soap: Glyce
Soap: B&M Cologne Russe
Brush: SJoL super badger
Razor: Gillette Red-Tip Super Speed 1955
Blade: Feather (1)
Alum
AS: B&M Cologne Russe
Aveda face moisturizer

3-pass shave on 5 days growth. What an enjoyable experience. Plus my guest bathroom has a heating bulb above the sink. BBS cheeks and DFS neck. No burn from neither alum nor aftershave. That’s a first. What comfort on an aggressive setup!

9/10

7DCAAA67-7BA1-4B85-91FA-465EDEFA6ECD.jpeg

Thu 27 SOTD
Soap Suezbana Lemon & TeaTree
Brush Yaqi 26mm Lucky Dice 2 Band Badger
Razor RR GC.84 SB
Blade BiC Chrome Platinum 4th
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Reuzel Wood & Spice
Decided to use this long ignored croap. Very nice lemon scent all thru the passes. Brush is excellent for today's face lather and results in a very good creamy and slick result.
Shave with razor paired with blade was very pleasant and smooth for 2 passes but for last atg pass can feel not as smooth and sharp. Time to replace the blade. 3+1 multiple direction passes. Very enjoyable bbs to dfs but saw some creepers later. Icy cold water rinse was fantastic followed by Thayers. Hyaluronic soothed together with Reuzel.
Rating 9/10
20200827_092234.jpg

20200827_091737.jpg

Top Bottom