What's new

Review: the Blackland Tradere (pre-launch)

I've never understood these razors with a comb on one side and a bar on the other. I use both sides when I shave so I would want them to be the same on both sides. I will say I like my ikon Deluxe OC. It was probably my favorite along with the Gillette NEW SC until I got a Charcoal Goods Level 2. Im interested in getting a Tradere but not sure which to pick.
I prefer the safety bar, but I think it kind of depends on whether you want a more aggressive razor or a milder, smoother one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This review has piqued my interest. May I ask of this razor is machined with cnc just like the original tradere? Also what kind of stainless steel is it made of?

Ridpath

FIGHTER!
I've never understood these razors with a comb on one side and a bar on the other. I use both sides when I shave so I would want them to be the same on both sides. I will say I like my ikon Deluxe OC. It was probably my favorite along with the Gillette NEW SC until I got a Charcoal Goods Level 2. Im interested in getting a Tradere but not sure which to pick.
I’ve not shaved with an iKon nor a CG before, but absent more information the key difference seems to be the aggressiveness of the razor. The SB Tradere is nearly the mildest in my collection, second to only the Feather AS-D2 but milder than the 0.68 SB Timeless.

It is still very smooth and efficient though despite the mildness, so I wouldn’t worry about the ability to take hairs off there - if (like me) you prefer a milder to a more aggressive razor, I’d lean toward the SB Tradere.

I posted this question earlier in another thread but I realised that this question may find more knowledgable answers in this thread instead.

I have found the few razors I have bought to shave mostly the same general way. The Masamune had a little adjustment to make because it favoured riding tbe safety bar rather than the cap but other than that not much different.

Haowever I have just bought the Hone 15 and it is very, very different. Firstly it is much heavier and most significantly it cuts only in a narrow range of angles- which is a fairly shallow one. Outside that range it doesnt seem to cut hardly at all. It also almost seems as if the face of the razor head is pushing against the skin instead of pulling on it like my other razors.

Now the above description seems to be similar to what many people have commented about the pils to some degree - that it cuts only at a certain angle and not at all at any other angle.

Is this trait the same with the upcoming Blackland Tradere (if we assume the blackland will be identical to the original tradere)? The tradere seems to also hold the razor in the same flat plane as the pils and has a substantial safety bar and the SB version is similarly famed for its mildness. I am concerned if the tradere will produce the same shaving approach as the Hone 15 because I think I prefer the more conventional shaving approach.

Now the above description seems to be similar to what many people have commented about the pils to some degree - that it cuts only at a certain angle and not at all at any other angle.

Is this trait the same with the upcoming Blackland Tradere (if we assume the blackland will be identical to the original tradere)? The tradere seems to also hold the razor in the same flat plane as the pils and has a substantial safety bar and the SB version is similarly famed for its mildness. I am concerned if the tradere will produce the same shaving approach as the Hone 15 because I think I prefer the more conventional shaving approach.

I don't consider the TSB to have a narrow usable shaving angle at all. I'm not one who really cares or tries to find a specific angle when I shave - I just shave. The Tradere SB works across a pretty wide range of angles in my experience. I wouldn't make it if I didn't find that to be the case. Of course, others are free to disagree, but I find the TSB to be surprisingly versatile and easy to use.

I posted this question earlier in another thread but I realised that this question may find more knowledgable answers in this thread instead.

I have found the few razors I have bought to shave mostly the same general way. The Masamune had a little adjustment to make because it favoured riding tbe safety bar rather than the cap but other than that not much different.

Haowever I have just bought the Hone 15 and it is very, very different. Firstly it is much heavier and most significantly it cuts only in a narrow range of angles- which is a fairly shallow one. Outside that range it doesnt seem to cut hardly at all. It also almost seems as if the face of the razor head is pushing against the skin instead of pulling on it like my other razors.

I don't think the Tradere and the Hone 15 have anything in common except that they are both razors. I have used both (the original Tradere, obviously) and I find them completely different.

I don't think the Tradere and the Hone 15 have anything in common except that they are both razors. I have used both (the original Tradere, obviously) and I find them completely different.

Thanks kingfisher. Having never used the tradere before I wanted to get some reassurance. As it happens my last shave with the hone 15 has been much better after i consulted Andrew - the correct shave angle is a good deal steeper than what I was using the razor at.

btw, edit: I hope the op is doing okay right now.

I shaved with my new tradere oc today. It’s wonderful. Smooth, fancy, effortless, efficient, exquisite. I like that the combs aren’t super sharp. I like the big blade gap. It was refreshing. I’m thrilled.
proxy.php

btw, edit: I hope the op is doing okay right now.

I shaved with my new tradere oc today. It’s wonderful. Smooth, fancy, effortless, efficient, exquisite. I like that the combs aren’t super sharp. I like the big blade gap. It was refreshing. I’m thrilled.
proxy.php
Thanks for the comments. I’m looking forward to trying out my SB next week. Would you mind telling me what the product is in the background with the 13-point lightning bolt?

Received it yesterday and went with its first shave tonight. Just a few sentences on feel, fit, fitment and quality of product & shave. First is this is an exceptionally produced razor with near mirror like quality finish. Tooling marks from the end mill are ever so slight and barely noticeable, that’s how good of a polishing job was done at least on my razor. But, if you’re looking for them you will see them. To me it’s insignificant as the overall look of the razor is superb. Another thing is that the razor head assembly is BIG. Perhaps one of the bigger head units in my collection. But, that enclosed look with the ridges on the covered end tabs is just beautifully done. Finger & thumb fit in the end recesses nearly naturally once lifting the top cap to reveal the stepped base plate which is another thing of beauty. The blade fits precisely into the top cap with barely any wiggle seen with the bottom plate fitting precisely into it. Grab the gorgeous handle and turn it onto the top cap stud smoothly and with minimal effort. It’s a classy and unique looking piece of kit once loaded and ready to go. The handle has some length to it and once put together it’s a tall razor. Balance is quite nice with pretty good weight distribution but, I feel it has a bit more weight biased to the top which is fine by me. Knurling is not as deep or pronounced as say a Rex Ambassador but, it’s more than sufficient to keep a good grip on it with nice tactile feel as well. If it falls out of ones hands, it’s because your all thumbs, period.
5F662659-DBF0-4E8F-8D60-E155A4C60385.jpeg

First shave was quite good. Installed a one time used Feather and the combo knocked down 24 hours of growth in 3 easy carefree passes. No nics, cuts, weepers or irritation to speak of. Want to put it through a full weeks worth of shaves and with a few different blades to see how it goes. It’s smooth and a bit on the milder side but, it cuts nicely with muted efficiency. Looking forward to the shaves with the Tradere from Blackland and getting to know it well....
B469C694-ED59-4032-AA45-AECE84BF6BD7.jpeg

Received it yesterday and went with its first shave tonight. Just a few sentences on feel, fit, fitment and quality of product & shave. First is this is an exceptionally produced razor with near mirror like quality finish. Tooling marks from the end mill are ever so slight and barely noticeable, that’s how good of a polishing job was done at least on my razor. But, if you’re looking for them you will see them. To me it’s insignificant as the overall look of the razor is superb. Another thing is that the razor head assembly is BIG. Perhaps one of the bigger head units in my collection. But, that enclosed look with the ridges on the covered end tabs is just beautifully done. Finger & thumb fit in the end recesses nearly naturally once lifting the top cap to reveal the stepped base plate which is another thing of beauty. The blade fits precisely into the top cap with barely any wiggle seen with the bottom plate fitting precisely into it. Grab the gorgeous handle and turn it onto the top cap stud smoothly and with minimal effort. It’s a classy and unique looking piece of kit once loaded and ready to go. The handle has some length to it and once put together it’s a tall razor. Balance is quite nice with pretty good weight distribution but, I feel it has a bit more weight biased to the top which is fine by me. Knurling is not as deep or pronounced as say a Rex Ambassador but, it’s more than sufficient to keep a good grip on it with nice tactile feel as well. If it falls out of ones hands, it’s because your all thumbs, period.
View attachment 1145285
First shave was quite good. Installed a one time used Feather and the combo knocked down 24 hours of growth in 3 easy carefree passes. No nics, cuts, weepers or irritation to speak of. Want to put it through a full weeks worth of shaves and with a few different blades to see how it goes. It’s smooth and a bit on the milder side but, it cuts nicely with muted efficiency. Looking forward to the shaves with the Tradere from Blackland and getting to know it well....
View attachment 1145286

Gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your insights and pictures. Mine arrives tomorrow! I’m pretty excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom