What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" August 17th - August 23rd, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arko August Part XXIII, Liquid Gold...
proxy.php

proxy.php

08/23/20 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Wood Box Soap Handcrafted Goat Milk Soap Marine Park Grapefruit and Patchouli
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Astro Traveler Conditioning Shampoo Puck - Epic Fall Seasonal Scent
The Club Ariana & Evans Peach & Cognac Kaizen Base Shaving Soap
Yaqi Moka Express Shaving Brush 26mm Two Band Badger
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
Whitmor Water Spray Bottle
Giesen Forsthoff Adoration 295 Hand Forged Steel 5/8” Straight Razor
Mountain Mike 3” English Bridle Leather Strop
Laboratoires Osma Pure Potassium Alum Block
Thayers Alcohol Free Lavender Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
The Club Ariana & Evans Peach & Cognac Aftershave Splash
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Mentholated Mysterium Serum Advanced Fragrance & Alcohol Free Aftershave Balm
Schmidt’s Charcoal + Magnesium Mineral Enriched Natural Deodorant
Maggard’s Razor Oil

B IMG_7616.jpg

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati

SOTD : 23rd August 2020.

View attachment 1143909

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower / Nivea Men ~ DEEP CLEAN Shower Gel.

Pre:

Cold wet flannel to my face.

Pears ~ Transparent Soap Bar / Wilko Men's Shaving Oil.

Brush: Omega 11047 Mixed Midget.

Bowl Lather.

Tesco's Ceramic 'Cosmo' Side Bowl.

Lather : Cella.

Blade: Gillette ~ 'NOS 94' Super Silver Platinum. (6)

Razor: Pearl SBF-11.

Cold Water Face Rinse./Homemade lavender eucalyptus +Tea Tree essential Oils Witch Hazel Mixture./Quorum ASL.

Tesco ~ Aloe Vera Body Lotion.

A relaxing Sunday morning shave.

Another excellent razor & blade duo.....The Cella performed wonderfully providing me with a good slick protective lather leaving a superb post shave feeling to my face.

Another very comfortable 3 pass + pick ups BBS shave with no errors to report.

Finishing the shave off with a generous dollop of Tesco ~ Aloe Vera Body Lotion.

My face is feeling silky smooth & smelling divine.;)

Stay safe, and enjoy you Sunday ladies & gentlemen.:cool:
I always enjoy reading your very detailed SOTD posts.
You also Stay safe, and enjoy you Sunday! 😀

Sun 23 SOTD
Soap Arko Stick
Brush Yaqi 28mm Synthetic
Razor Gillette British RFB #88
Blade Tatra Platinum 4th (Wizamet Iridium 7th)
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Hyaluronic + Polo EDT
Super lather from Arko. Thick creamy and slick. Scent is unique and I think is an acquired taste/smell...hahaha
Shave with razor paired with Tatra felt a lot of tugging and skipping for 1st WTG pass. Realized something wrong with the blade (was used on a travel trip, perhaps the edge was damaged) so immediately stop and replaced with nearest available blade which was the Wizamet on 7th use. Whoooaaa...can feel the difference as night and day, soooo much smoother and soooo much more comfortable. Very efficiently cut through all the stubbles without skipping nor tugging. 3+1 multiple direction passes with BBS results. 3 weepers because tried a new angle. All weepers stopped by icy water rinse then Thayers followed by Hyaluronic and EDT. Good shave once the blade was replaced. Rating 9/10
20200823_114404.jpg

20200823_114434.jpg

Sunday SOTD - A RELAXING BBS SHAVE WITH MY FIRST TTO RAZOR

I had received my brand new first TTO razor on Friday. This is made by Pearl company in India, weighs around 100 grams and is a chrome finished beauty. Along with the razor also came a pack of Wilkinson Sword blade Made in China. Though I was tempted to use both the new blade and razor together I controlled my temptation of going to a complete unknown territory and rather used one of my favourite blades with the razor and I am glad I did that!

Pre Shave - Forest Essentials Sandalwood and Orange Peel Pre Shave Oil
Brush - Pink Woolf boar hair brush
Bowl - Pink Woolf ceramic lathering bowl (did bowl lathering today)
Shaving Soap - Forest Essentials Sandalwood and Orange Peel Shaving Cream
Razor - Pearl chrome finished TTO (my first TTO razor shaving)
Blade - Astra Superior Platinum on 2nd use
Post Shave - Running cold water splash along with application of alum
After Shave - Pink Woolf Oudh and Sandalwood Aftershave Balm

The boar brush was soaked in warm water for around 15 minutes today post which I started bowl lathering with it and the result was fantastic. The brush created voluminous lather that proved to be more than enough for the 2 passes and a touch up round done today. I believe it is better to do bowl lathering with a boar brush rather than face lathering as it keeps ample lather for subsequent passes. On face lathering once you keep the brush idle during your first pass the brush ends up eating almost entire lather ans unless you apply the shaving cream/soap again you won’t get desired lather for subsequent passes.

The razor proved to be fairly aggressive. Even with a smooth blade like Astra SP I could feel the aggression in the first pass itself. As a result had one of the best first pass clean ups today. However post lathering as I started moving the razor XTG in the second pass the blade started giving feedback on my face and I understood two passes would be enough with this razor today. There were 3-4 minor nicks below the nose and at the neckline which I was expecting as this was the first use of an aggressive TTO that had considerable blade exposure and is yet to adjust with my face and in my hands.

Overall post 2 passes and one touch up the result was BBS. However there were those minor nicks and a little redness on neckline which provided extreme feedback upon application of alum. Post application of the fantastically fragrant aftershave which also has menthol the face gradually cooled down.

Overall a good experience that could have been better. The face feels smooth and soft and the redness is also gone now. This shave definitely qualifies as BBS but was not as smooth as I achieve the other days.

Next shave is due on Tuesday morning where I am planning to use the GSB blade on 2nd use with this razor. Hopefully that pays off!

Thank you 🙏🏽 and wishing you all a happy Sunday!

5BAF4E17-683B-440B-9830-A56A300020FE.jpeg
85548393-69C0-421D-B328-17C4A84E4682.jpeg
F3A63759-6F8C-43A4-ADCC-7B98CCF4E591.jpeg
DB981E27-7FA9-4BEC-8B69-5507D963791C.jpeg

Last edited:
SOTD - Sunday 23 August 2020

proxy.php

• Safety Razor: Karve Shaving - Christopher Bradley - 3.5 inch / A-plate
  • Blade: Polsilver - Super Iridium
  • Shaving Brush: Black Anvil Shaving - Druid - 26mm Fan (Manchurian Badger)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Alder Wooden Bowl
  • Shaving Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Tundra Artica - Beta 4.1
  • After-Shave: Saponificio Varesino - Tundra Artica - Splash

E6FAE61F-1F9B-4369-BC62-FF860E7BBB90.jpeg

SOTD SUNDAY MORNING, AUGUST 23, 2020

Setting the bevel on the Puma was an excellent learning experience. Using the Schechter finger positioning method with the White Chosera stone worked just the way it’s supposed to. Ben lapped the stone before first use. Schechter uses 60 diagonal stroke on each side.

It was clear from the resulting slurry created during the bevel setting process that the heel of the blade was not getting the same exposure to the stone as the rest of the blade. Applying pressure in this area with Schechter’s finger positioning approach resulted in a clean bevel along most of the blade. After Ben examined the edge with the 60x jeweler’s loupe, he recommended another 40 strokes on each side.

With the bevel set, the action moved to the jasper stone where I built a slurry on the rough side with a smooth coarse DMT plate. I began with 80 circles, 40 on each side until the slurry was dark gray. I then rinsed the stone and built a second slurry, this time using back and forth strokes. Three slurries later, I began to notice resistance in the stone.

I then flipped the stone to the fine side, removed the steel feather buildup from the edge by running it gently at 90 degrees across the face of the stone.and began regular back and forth strokes under clear running water (about 20 minutes) until it felt like the blade was beginning to stick to the stone. I finished with 10 strops on Chromox infused linen and 10 strops on leather. At that point the blade was popping hairs and slicing a tomato evenly along its length.

The shave went very well, VBBS above the jawline and DFS++ below. The Puma blade was a bit longer than I’m used to, and I found the XTG challenging on my neck leading to a minor set down error under my left ear. That being the case, I opted to use my twinjector loaded Supply razor to finish the job on my neck. The dome shave with the Supply was a breeze, and again I finished the shave feeling cool, clean, slightly wounded, but still velveteen!

RAZOR: Puma Solingen 5/8 (Mug), SS Supply V2 (Dome)
BLADE: Schick Twinjector
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Rabid Banana Preshave Cube.
BRUSH: Rooney Ebony Pure Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat w/ 6 drops of M-Bomb
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys WH and Osage Rub. Finished with Chiseled Face Natural AS Splash with menthol and A&E Post-Shave Serum.

Date:- 23 August 2020

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Maseto 'Avatar' Tuxedo Synth. 26/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Stirling Spice
Razor/Blade:- Merkur 34C / Voskhod #1
Post/After-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20 drops) & Tea Tree Antiseptic (5) / The Stray Whisker Aftershave Balm (Australian made)

SOTD: Vintage Aventus Formula (Batch 13R01)
Soap: Declaration Grooming Sellout (Milksteak)
Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.15 SB
Brush: Mozingo ZT3
Aftershave: Declaration Grooming Sellout
Fragrance: Creed Aventus 13R01
Every now and then I like wearing the original (and only good version) of Aventus. I don't wear as often as my 2 vintage bottles are coming very low (like 20 mls left on each).
But the real highlight of the shave is the Mozingo ZT3 (hand tied) knot. Its my favorite knot ever, has all the qualities I aspire to have in a knot. Super Dense, amazing backbone, no lather hogging problems and the only knot in my den in which I get the "Wall of Badger pillow effect".
For those wondering, this is a 2 -band knot, just the nature of the batch hair seems to be a big longer white bands than most at the bottom. If I can find a fan knot with this much backbone, I would be VERY surprised (Black Eagle incoming this week, so can't wait to compare)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Schick Sunday Shave, Aug 23rd 2020

Razor: Schick Championship injector, L type theme series-Mfg 1976 -Schick helped sponser the Montreal Olympics.
Blade: Personna injector(6) nice and sharp for a smooth mild razor like the L types injectors.
Soap: Proraso green- nice Menthol Eucalyptus scent for a cooling effect on the facial skin.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm synthetic- I really enjoy using this brush, creates excellent lather with those soft tips.
Pre-shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso green aftershave lotion with witch hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm on beard area.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my Schick championship L theme type injector razor.

Schick Sunday Shave, Aug 23rd 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom