What's new

What’s with Creed Aventus?

Okay, so I hear everyone talking about this scent like it’s the gold standard. There are also a lot of shaving soap dupes that mimic it. What is so special about it?!

Okay, so I hear everyone talking about this scent like it’s the gold standard. There are also a lot of shaving soap dupes that mimic it. What is so special about it?!
According to the marketing mythology, this magical scent will make you fell rich, confident and powerful. Other men will respect you. Women will fall at your feet.

The original cologne is a niche brand that costs in the hundreds of dollars, so it has been cloned to death.

Last edited:
I haven't tried it, but it is definitely a crowd pleaser.

I know there's a lot of marketing and the fact that, generally speaking, people tend to rave products they overpaid for. However, it must be a very good perfume. Just not for me at this price point

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Just get one of the good knockoffs and save a lot of cash. Black Ship Grooming Captain's Reserve, Captain's Choice Venture...Stirling makes one...I think WSP makes one also...Olympus? Check out the knockoffs.

I have tried it several times and it just does not work on me. It is probably my body chemistry. But even on other people, I find it to be overused these days. Interestingly, TdH similarly doesn't work on me...there is a sharp note in the drydown of both that appears on my skin. Awful. I think Royal Mayfair is a much better Creed scent on me.

But ultimately, the cost of these is borderline absurd. I prefer Floris, Penhaligon's and Dyptique which are also relatively pricey but much less so than Creed.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Creed uses high-quality materials, weighed an mixed by hand, and then put them through a unique infusion process. Aventus is popular with a lot of people, although nothing smells good on everyone.

If you don't have the $, or simply don't want to spend the $, or can't appreciate the difference between the real thing and a knockoff - buy a knockoff.

But please do the world a favor and don't insist that the knockoff is "just as good," or that all expensive goods are not worth the price. Decide what works for you and be happy with your choice. Don't let other people decide why you made your purchase and don't proclaim you know why someone else made theirs.

Creed uses high-quality materials, weighed an mixed by hand, and then put them through a unique infusion process. Aventus is popular with a lot of people, although nothing smells good on everyone.

If you don't have the $, or simply don't want to spend the $, or can't appreciate the difference between the real thing and a knockoff - buy a knockoff.

But please do the world a favor and don't insist that the knockoff is "just as good," or that all expensive goods are not worth the price. Decide what works for you and be happy with your choice. Don't let other people decide why you made your purchase and don't proclaim you know why someone else made theirs.

To add to that...in the early days of me getting into watches and fragrances, I was lured into knockoffs, as well. But it didn't take long for me to realize in both categories that the real thing was better in my view, and I felt like an impostor wearing the knock-off. I have been buying the real thing or nothing ever since.

I buy samples of expensive stuff (like Creed scents) before throwing money into a full-size. It's saved me hundreds as there are some that just don't smell good on me. I'm currently debating the Aventus purchase as it's one of the better ones. However, even though I really liked Bois Du Protugal, but found the Guerlain's Heritage gave me the same vibe and cost about $200 less.

+1

There is a reason why some of the fragrances have been going strong for several decades, some even 100+ years, while costing what many would consider a "small fortune". And the reason is very simple - there will always be enough conscious buyers who don't mind paying the premium price for the premium quality merchandise. Yours truly included.

I bought a 4oz bottle of Aventus from a B&B member three years ago. I still have 98% of it. It does smell pretty nice, but as it turns out it's not my thing. With Creed's batch variations what you smell from a sample may very likely not smell the same as that full bottle you ended up with. I say, "Why bother?"

I think Aventus smells great, and I'm glad to own it. I have never tried one of the dupes from the clone houses, so I can't comment on how close some of the clones might be. Considering how inexpensive decants of the real thing are, I think it is worth it to at least get a decant.

Having said that, I think Aventus is WAY overhyped. It smells great as I said, but there are a ton of other fragrances that smell better IMHO but don't get anywhere near the attention that Aventus gets.

Personally, I find nothing special about it and don't care much for the perfume. I liked the pineapple open, but the rest was unpleasant.

The original question "was what is so special about it?"

I think what is really special about it is that it has been hugely successful, and smells not only really good, but also hip, fresh in the sense of being different, and cutting edge to a vast cross-section of the population. I would say that somehow Creed hit on a scent that for the time really took elements of other scents that we then very popular and built on them to create something that seemed ahead of its time in 2010, or, perhaps seemed like the next new thing, perhaps where scents were naturally going, when it was released. It helps that women in particular seem to really like the scent, which is something a lot of guys are looking for in a scent.

The high cost probably adds to the allure. To me Creed is a high quality house, with excellent scent making and marketing expertise at every level. I think Creed using excellent quality ingredients, but to me there are two aspects to that. On one hand, I do not think the cost of ingredients really affects the retail cost of the product very much. But on the other hand, even so, I think the big scent makers frequently try to cut their ingredient costs to the very bone, especially after a scent has been out for awhile. I think Creed does a good job of resisting that. But Creed is extraordinarily expensive. And maybe Creed's marketing deserves major props here. I do not know about that. It seems to me Creed and every other big house come out with new scents all the time, and it was not that I was seeing ads for Aventus, but that various perfume reviewers and ordinary folks writing about it seemed all over it after a while. One could probably look back at postings on B&B and see lots of people who do not make a big hobby of scents and would not normally write much about scents, posting saying they were really, really liking Aventus.

In any event, Aventus has been a massive home run.

Personally, I have never loved the scent. I kind of get it. But is seemed pretty derivative to me from the beginning and thus nothing all that special. Sort of like Johnny Walker Blue Scotch. Nothing not to like about it and something even folks not normally into Scotch or scents would like. Also, in 2020 it seems to be kind of played out. It has influenced lots of other scents at this point, and there is a lot out there that smells similar to it.

I hesitate to say anything about clones. I do not have all the much experience with clones, but have never had one of any scent that I thought had the nuances or the original. Creed may be overpriced, but I do not think an inexpensive scent maker is going to truly come close o duplicating a specific Creed product. But this is not to say that something that is intended to be a clone will not smell nice and may be close enough for the individual buying it. Moreover, as I say, it has been very influential and there a lot talented scent makers making scents that are similar to Aventus and just as high quality.

Aventus has a really nice vibe on me, and apparently on many others. Plus, my wife who generally hates colognes actually likes it. She cringes when I wear Clubman or the Veg :001_smile . I think @The Knize states it really well above; it was really novel and special when first released.

Aventus is quite pricey so I use it sparingly. Over the years I tried a few others that are somewhat similar, a few have been good- L'aventure being my favorite of those. Next down for me would be Club De Nuit Intense. But, neither of these have either the same catchy open or the drydown depth to me; they're just not the same as the real deal. However, at least on me, the Aventus alternatives do give a nice wearable, albeit simpler, scent profile. And when I was going to work daily, I would wear these alternatives frequently.

Top Bottom