What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

Williams Wed- 19th August

Occam-Hiram Cdr/ Plate 2 & Kai CT Mild/Pink.

IMG_0975.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For some reason I cannot get a good shave out of my GBar, I have tried it with GEM SS PTFE and Treet carbons both and just cannot seem to get it to run on my face. I get great shaves from all of my other Gems just not the Gbar :mad3:
I find it one of the milder Gem razors, Gem changed the top caps on 3 razor types back in 1952 and they are milder because fellow shavers wanted milder razors I'm thinking. The Gem Feather 1950-52 1st Generation has a nicer flatter cap that gives a spectacular shave.
GEM Cap Styles 2 (2).JPG
(R) Gem Featherweight 1st generation 1950-52

(L)Gem Featherweight- 2nd gen cap.... 1953-54(C) Gem G-bar................(R)Gem Contour ....milder razors?
GEM Cap Styles 3 (2).JPG

Picture courtesy of @Droo78
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

Have some Great shaves!Stay & think safe in these times!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Wed, Aug 19th 2020

Razor: Gem Junior bar Lather catcher- Mfg 1907-11 Excellent milder razor that takes a person back in a time warp.They had it right!
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (8)- Excellent blade.
Soap: Razorock Lavender.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24mm- makes great lather and has cloud like soft tips.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender aftershave with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my Gem Jr bar lather catcher.
SE SOTD, Wed, Aug 19th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves!Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
Just a quick follow up, it was definitely not me, and something with the blade or blades. I'm thinking it might have been the blade from Monday, and my face hadn't yet recovered. Used my Rockwell 6s, which is really mild & smooth feeling to shave with, with a well broken in and smooth Wilkinson Sword (German) blade. Only two passes, ATG and hybrid WTG/XTG, but pretty much BBS with no blood or additional irriation.

I'll wait a few days, and try them again with new and FRESH, never exposed to anything blades. It was absolutely a WTH moment both days. Oddly it didn't feel exceedingly harsh, but tore me up.

For some reason I cannot get a good shave out of my GBar, I have tried it with GEM SS PTFE and Treet carbons both and just cannot seem to get it to run on my face. I get great shaves from all of my other Gems just not the Gbar :mad3:
So do I.

SM-G965F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

19-aug-2020 - Sabre L1 - GEM (6) - still good, soap Copper Hat Lumberjack mild scent

Got the "move the nose technique" down so it's no longer a "problem area".
How would you compare the L1 (and L2, if you have that baseplate) to any/all vintage GEM razors that you have used? I have been on the fence about ordering a Sabre but would not want to spend the money if the Micromatic Open Comb or 1912-style GEM razors are more efficient. Thanks for your thoughts.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
More than a few posts on B&B calling the Schick Krona the most underrated razor. Picked one up for $5, used it for the first time today, and I’m now a convert. Smooth shave, no tugging or nicks with an Astra SP.

Attachments

• 9D48EAAC-EEA9-4EBD-BDD0-17DE0CB5AB5B.jpeg
    9D48EAAC-EEA9-4EBD-BDD0-17DE0CB5AB5B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
How would you compare the L1 (and L2, if you have that baseplate) to any/all vintage GEM razors that you have used? I have been on the fence about ordering a Sabre but would not want to spend the money if the Micromatic Open Comb or 1912-style GEM razors are more efficient. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi chuckd, sorry I've no experience with any of the vintage GEM razors. Someone here must have though. Anyone ? I find the Sabre with the L1 is quite efficient for me, 2 pass, no irritation/nicks/burn etc. however the price in CAD is insane for a razor.

Hi chuckd, sorry I've no experience with any of the vintage GEM razors. Someone here must have though. Anyone ? I find the Sabre with the L1 is quite efficient for me, 2 pass, no irritation/nicks/burn etc. however the price in CAD is insane for a razor.
Thanks! The USD price is also insane... I paid that much for an Above The Tie razor years ago, but that is now "vintage."

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The USD price is also insane...

The biggest part of the high price comes from ordering the polished version with both plates, but the also ordering a machine finish one with an L2 plate for me isn’t an insignificant expense, so I feel for you.

I paid that much for an Above The Tie razor years ago

Think of the polished Blackland Sabre with both plates as softening the blow for when only a titanium, mirror-polished Wolfman is allowed on your skin. And hold off on buying me that machine-finish Blackland Sabre L2 so you’ll have a head start on the price.

Top Bottom