What's new

Great Covers

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I saw Hot Tuna when I was a kid- Marty Balin was singing with them. At that point they were essentially Jefferson Airplane without Gracie. Haven't thought of them in ages. Thanks! @Mr. Scruffy

Ok, I feel really stupid. I just learned that Blinded by the Light by Manfred Mann isn't by him at all! No! It was Bruce Springsteen all along!

Ok, I feel really stupid. I just learned that Blinded by the Light by Manfred Mann isn't by him at all! No! It was Bruce Springsteen all along!
The Boss made some comment regarding the mispronunciation of "deuce" and said he didn't care as long as the royalty checks kept coming.

The Boss made some comment regarding the mispronunciation of "deuce" and said he didn't care as long as the royalty checks kept coming.

A strange lyrics change all around. Springsteen sings "cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night," "deuce" being a reference to a 1932 Ford converted to a hot rod, probably with a flat-head eight cylinder engine. See Beach Boys "Little Deuce Coupe." Chris Hamlet Thompson on lead vocals for what was then the Manfred Mann Earth Band--Manfred Mann was the keyboardist, band leader, and, I suppose, sometimes songwriter, although at various times Manfred Mann the band under various slight variations in name, but the name always containing Manfred Mann, carried on without him!--sings "revved up like a [what sounds like] douche, another runner in the night." My guess is that he did not know what the Springsteen lyric really was and was just trying to slur out something that sounded close. Some seem to hear the lyric as "wrapped up like a deuce [or whatever]." Great song, great songwriter, great band.

Last edited:
Yeah! That's one of those songs everyone hears something different. I've always heard it "wrapped up like a douche/ another rumor in the night". I mostly feel stupid after being familiar with Springsteen's earlier works. Once you strip away the keyboard and effects, it's very much a Bruce Springsteen song.

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but this was part of a series of covers done after John Prine passed away. This is Sturgill Simpson doing "Speed of the Sound of Loneliness".

Speaking of Johnny Winter, this band just kills! tiny stage, great interaction, great performance, unbridled joy! Saw him spring of that year at Maple Leafs gardens, big stage, little tiny people so far away...

Saw Johnny at the old movie theatre, downtown I think it was called the Colony but not sure. Two guys walk him out holding him up...they let go, he swayed a moment, then rock and roll almighty exploded from the general vicinity was in.

the Stones thrice ,Chick Corea, B.B.King
I'm getting sleepy so ill finish tomorrow.
Santana, Ramsey Lewis...to be continued

Top Bottom