What's new

sir irisch moos replacement.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure the performance is good.

This is the only PAA with the new CK6 formula. I do know it's a very soft soap.

Do you think there's a chance they'll bring it back in production? After all, the after shave balm, deodorant, preshave and eau de toilette are still being manufactured.

I'm not sure it's been awhile since they discontinued the soap & cream that it doesn't look good.

I own the aftershave and EDT because I thought they would be discontinue also.

It was dumb of me to only buy only one tube of the cream and not buy a few of the sticks too lol

Tabac and SIM were essentially the same soap, just different scents. Mr. Fines triple milled soaps are near duplicates of Tabac. Perhaps Mr Fine, who is no slouch when it comes to reproducing scents, could be convinced to offer one of his excellent triple milled soaps in a SIM clone? I have a SIM stick on hand and am willing to donate a chunk of it as a scent sample for the effort.

Dropped him a line, linked to this tread :)

Well done! If Mr. Fine is a member and would like to drop me a PM with a mailing address I'll be happy to cut off a big old chunk of SIM for him to sample. I have an unmolested SIM stick thats been vacuum sealed in storage so the scent should be good.

I thought of Fine Accoutrements because he does such a fantastic job with American Blend which is quickly gaining legend status, and having 3017'nd two of his triple milled soaps I can attest to the high quality / high performance of that soap base. The SIM scent in a high quality triple milled soap would be outstanding.

Well done! If Mr. Fine is a member and would like to drop me a PM with a mailing address I'll be happy to cut off a big old chunk of SIM for him to sample. I have an unmolested SIM stick thats been vacuum sealed in storage so the scent should be good.

I thought of Fine Accoutrements because he does such a fantastic job with American Blend which is quickly gaining legend status, and having 3017'nd two of his triple milled soaps I can attest to the high quality / high performance of that soap base. The SIM scent in a high quality triple milled soap would be outstanding.

If it's you, @Mr Fine , please kindly consider this idea :)

I haven't tried it yet but I'm sure the performance is good.

This is the only PAA with the new CK6 formula. I do know it's a very soft soap.

I went ahead and purchased the PPA soap that is, in its description of the fragrance on their website, supposed to be a Doppleganger of SIM. I HIGHLY suggest that if you're thinking of trying that soap to first get a sample. It performs better than any soap I ever used (and I have 50 soaps in the house and have tried dozens more as samples from dozens of soapmakers). But this scent and SIM are not even in the same ball park. If you're interested in a description of the scent feel free to PM me. This will be only the second soap I will not use again due to its scent.

Will do. At least if this is removed the original post stays. To my nose it smells like a urinal that has an odor removing puck. Clearly, there are people who as with all scents will have a different impression. But that's my take.

Phoenix told me they were willing to take back the soap had I not used it. I was shocked to hear that in these days of COVID. I didn't think any vendor was taking back toiletries of any kind that can be opened. I'm sorry now that I didn't ask them if I could do that but it does amaze me that they would take back opened, albeit unused, merchandise and resell it.
I went ahead and purchased the PPA soap that is, in its description of the fragrance on their website, supposed to be a Doppleganger of SIM. I HIGHLY suggest that if you're thinking of trying that soap to first get a sample. It performs better than any soap I ever used (and I have 50 soaps in the house and have tried dozens more as samples from dozens of soapmakers). But this scent and SIM are not even in the same ball park. If you're interested in a description of the scent feel free to PM me. This will be only the second soap I will not use again due to its scent.

Just as an FYI, I learned that samples are not available for this soap. Only other products with the same fragrance. Since the soap has different ingredients than an aftershave, for example, while it may be close there's no way to know the exact fragrance of the soap. It seems that Phoenix offers limited soap samples, unfortunately.

I was fortunate enough to grab enough of them some time back to last me, as long as I don'tuse it exclusively, for most of my shaving years. . I've shaved slivers of the sticks and pressed into a puck and have enough to completely fill an old empty Yardley bowl with enough left over to refill it when the time comes. I don't know if the aftershave was discontinued as well so I got a few bottles of those too. Why it was ever discontinued ill never understand.

I was fortunate enough to grab enough of them some time back to last me, as long as I don'tuse it exclusively, for most of my shaving years. . I've shaved slivers of the sticks and pressed into a puck and have enough to completely fill an old empty Yardley bowl with enough left over to refill it when the time comes. I don't know if the aftershave was discontinued as well so I got a few bottles of those too. Why it was ever discontinued ill never understand.

I agree. Why keep Tabac and discontinue SIM? As I recall performance was the same, but the SIM scent was much less polarizing. I wonder if they had offered SIM in a jar like Tabac if it may have sold better?

Got a reply from Todd:

"I appreciate your enthusiasm for SIM, but I’m not personally an especially big fan :(
I’m not ruling it out forever. It’s just that I can’t see it happening anytime soon. "

I agree. Why keep Tabac and discontinue SIM? As I recall performance was the same, but the SIM scent was much less polarizing. I wonder if they had offered SIM in a jar like Tabac if it may have sold better?
One possible reason, and I'm just shooting in the dark, perhaps the ingredients that went into the scent aspect became harder and/or more costly to get? Another possibility is that everywhere else in the wet shaving world of which we stateside make up a small minority, they preferred Tabac at a ratio that it didn't make business sense to continue both? Don't get me wrong, I love Tabac too, combined with Alt Innsbruck aftershave.
P.S. I seem to remember some years ago a ban or regulation about what went into "moss" scent. Either health or environmental reasons. It's just a vague memory.

One possible reason, and I'm just shooting in the dark, perhaps the ingredients that went into the scent aspect became harder and/or more costly to get? Another possibility is that everywhere else in the wet shaving world of which we stateside make up a small minority, they preferred Tabac at a ratio that it didn't make business sense to continue both? Don't get me wrong, I love Tabac too, combined with Alt Innsbruck aftershave.
P.S. I seem to remember some years ago a ban or regulation about what went into "moss" scent. Either health or environmental reasons. It's just a vague memory.

Very good point. The funny thing is, SIM was never a premier scent. As I recall it was sort of the European version of Aqua Vela. Now that its unobtanium its reached sort of a cult status I suppose. I quite like the scent and will enjoy my last stick to the fullest.

I think the problem was rather in the sales figures. They still manufacture SIM after shave splash, so the fragrance is readily available. And they have their soap base covered with Tabac.
However, now the TWS is on the rise, at least in the US, so it would be wise to re-enter the market.

But “...it is a far cry to Lochow Stolberg.”

Top Bottom