What's new

Another Wolfman comparison

I recently received a Wolfman WR2 1.45 SB. Previously I've had a dual comb 1.15OC/1.25SB with a hollow handle, which I did not keep. My daily rotation lately has been a Timeless DC SS .95, a Karve brass with E and F plate, a Raw RS10, and a Charcoal Goods lvl2 in copper. I sold my first WR2 because I was not happy with the balance of the hollow handle and I found the OC harsh. So far, the Timeless is the only open comb razor that I've kept. I've bought all these razors out of curiosity and all of them are fantastic tools made by very skilled people. Any of them could easily be an only razor.
I really like the design of both the WR2 head and WRH2 handle. It is the easiest razor to load and remove a blade, with Karve a close second here. There is no crunching sound as you screw the handle on compressing the blade between plate and cap like the RS10 and Timeless. I also really like the continuous lather gap in the base plate. The RS10 also has this and it is easy to rinse and easy for lather to flow through it. Timeless is the hardest head to rinse and keep clean. The handle is thick, which I like. Timeless is also like this. The knurling on the handle is just in the right place for me, similar to my CG Bishop.
I used it three days in a row with an Astra SP. It gave me no problems. No nicks, no redness or rawness or rash even with a mentholated soap. This is with a two pass shave. All of these razors are capable of a very smooth face without a third pass. I don't normally use an alum stick, but did so after each shave and felt minimal feedback. It's smoother than the Karve, more efficient than the timeless. I really don't think the bigger gaps in Wolfman are anything to be afraid of.
After three shaves I was a little concerned about redundancy. I don't want half a dozen SS razors that are indistinguishable from each other. The CG razor is secure in my rotation not only because it has an excellent shave, but the copper design is such a work of art and pleasure to hold. But my most recent shave was with a four day beard, which is very rare for me, but I was away camping this week. The Timeless OC would be my normal go to here, and it would have done the job very well. I also expected to do a three pass shave to get smooth again. Without the "I've bought an expensive toy hyperbole" I was pretty surprised that after one pass I was smoother than usual after one pass on a daily shave, and rinsing my face I could tell that I was already smooth and I would only be doing one more pass. In fact I could have stopped. This was with a brand new Gillette GSB. My work requires me to be on camera, so not only do I need to have no shadow, but also no blood is good. This convinced me that there is not total redundancy here even with my RS10, which is a very efficient and easy to use razor. I'm not sure the same would be true if I'd kept my SB 1.25 gap. This gap of Wolfman is at another level of efficiency while still not needing to be tippy toe cautious. But I have scraped my skin once. On an upward stroke on my cheek, as I flicked the razor carelessly it took a divot off my cheekbone skin. I was also having a really bad soap day, which didn't help. Nothing that some toner and balm couldn't make disappear, but it reminded me that it was to be respected.
I like this Wolfman a lot and it is unique enough that I think I'll keep my other razors. I've put my name on the list again and plan to buy a dual comb WR1.

Used it again today with a highly mentholated soap, Margaritas in the Arctic, and had no issues. Feeling my face before shaving I think I have less daily stubble than with any other razor. It's a pretty unique razor in my small collection.

Great post, thanks for taking the time. The 1.45SB is a great ride. The WR1 is another great head. I know you said DC, but if you like OCs in general, I would recommend a 94OC. Skip the DC unless you just want both gaps...or just need to scratch that itch. Im not much of an OC guy but the 94OC is very good. It won't cut as close as your 145SB and will require a little more attention but like the WR2 head the gap really isn't all that scary. Also, as much as I like Wolfman razors, I didnt get along with the WR2 OC either. Happy shaves.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Great post, thanks for taking the time. The 1.45SB is a great ride. The WR1 is another great head. I know you said DC, but if you like OCs in general, I would recommend a 94OC. Skip the DC unless you just want both gaps...or just need to scratch that itch. Im not much of an OC guy but the 94OC is very good. It won't cut as close as your 145SB and will require a little more attention but like the WR2 head the gap really isn't all that scary. Also, as much as I like Wolfman razors, I didnt get along with the WR2 OC either. Happy shaves.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm very curious about the WR1. I originally ordered this razor as a WR1 but changed my mind to a big gap WR2, which after a week in I don't regret. So, another seven month delay for experiencing the WR1. I think I will go with the one you suggest. I believe it was you where I read about avoiding redundancy in a razor collection and realized that the concept aligns with my own desire for a razor collection, so thanks for those thoughts.

I recently received a Wolfman WR2 1.45 SB. Previously I've had a dual comb 1.15OC/1.25SB with a hollow handle, which I did not keep. My daily rotation lately has been a Timeless DC SS .95, a Karve brass with E and F plate, a Raw RS10, and a Charcoal Goods lvl2 in copper. I sold my first WR2 because I was not happy with the balance of the hollow handle and I found the OC harsh. So far, the Timeless is the only open comb razor that I've kept. I've bought all these razors out of curiosity and all of them are fantastic tools made by very skilled people. Any of them could easily be an only razor.
I really like the design of both the WR2 head and WRH2 handle. It is the easiest razor to load and remove a blade, with Karve a close second here. There is no crunching sound as you screw the handle on compressing the blade between plate and cap like the RS10 and Timeless. I also really like the continuous lather gap in the base plate. The RS10 also has this and it is easy to rinse and easy for lather to flow through it. Timeless is the hardest head to rinse and keep clean. The handle is thick, which I like. Timeless is also like this. The knurling on the handle is just in the right place for me, similar to my CG Bishop.
I used it three days in a row with an Astra SP. It gave me no problems. No nicks, no redness or rawness or rash even with a mentholated soap. This is with a two pass shave. All of these razors are capable of a very smooth face without a third pass. I don't normally use an alum stick, but did so after each shave and felt minimal feedback. It's smoother than the Karve, more efficient than the timeless. I really don't think the bigger gaps in Wolfman are anything to be afraid of.
After three shaves I was a little concerned about redundancy. I don't want half a dozen SS razors that are indistinguishable from each other. The CG razor is secure in my rotation not only because it has an excellent shave, but the copper design is such a work of art and pleasure to hold. But my most recent shave was with a four day beard, which is very rare for me, but I was away camping this week. The Timeless OC would be my normal go to here, and it would have done the job very well. I also expected to do a three pass shave to get smooth again. Without the "I've bought an expensive toy hyperbole" I was pretty surprised that after one pass I was smoother than usual after one pass on a daily shave, and rinsing my face I could tell that I was already smooth and I would only be doing one more pass. In fact I could have stopped. This was with a brand new Gillette GSB. My work requires me to be on camera, so not only do I need to have no shadow, but also no blood is good. This convinced me that there is not total redundancy here even with my RS10, which is a very efficient and easy to use razor. I'm not sure the same would be true if I'd kept my SB 1.25 gap. This gap of Wolfman is at another level of efficiency while still not needing to be tippy toe cautious. But I have scraped my skin once. On an upward stroke on my cheek, as I flicked the razor carelessly it took a divot off my cheekbone skin. I was also having a really bad soap day, which didn't help. Nothing that some toner and balm couldn't make disappear, but it reminded me that it was to be respected.
I like this Wolfman a lot and it is unique enough that I think I'll keep my other razors. I've put my name on the list again and plan to buy a dual comb WR1.
i sold that exact razor years ago for $120 ugh

Top Bottom