What's new

Wolfman razor 1.25 SB or OC?

The day has finally arrived and I got the email from Wolfman Razors! I've spent all day (literally) reading the threads trying to educate myself and they have been of great help. I decided to go with the WR2 1.25, with the Darwin handle, but I'm undecided on the solid guard bar or open comb. A lot of the articles do not state if they are referring to an OC or SB. So I assume they are referring to the SB. I tend to prefer open combs, but I hold no bias towards the SB. I can handle the usual suspect when it comes to aggressive razors like the R41, Blackbird OC, Timeless .095 OC, GC .084 OC, Gillette 1934, etc. I know as usual YMMV, but I was hoping your input can help me make an informed decision. I have read there is no real difference between the SB or OC. I was wondering if that is true. Like most, I enjoy a smooth shaving razor. Thanks in advance for your input!

I haven’t used the 1.25 plate in the WR2 but have used both the SB and OC in the 1.05 size. Realistically there was not a lot of difference in feel, therefore I would suggest the OC if that is where your heart is set.

First, CONGRATULATIONS!!

Second, my only direct comparison of OC vs. SB was with the WR1 so take this with a grain of salt. I found little difference and also found the SB a wee bit smoother.

That said, if you generally prefer OC, then that’s the one to get.

Hello Slatemoney. It looks like you're on your way with some solid recommendations. If I may piggy-back on your thread, here, I put in my request in February, if memory serves me right, so I may not be too far off from having to make a decision of my own. I think I know what I want by way of razor configuration, but my question is whether or not you ordered the wr2 stand and if anyone knows if it is required when purchasing a razor? I will probably opt for it either way, but I'd appreciate knowing if it is mandatory. (I do see an asterisk by it on the general order form.)

In any event, congratulations on your purchase!

Hello Slatemoney. It looks like you're on your way with some solid recommendations. If I may piggy-back on your thread, here, I put in my request in February, if memory serves me right, so I may not be too far off from having to make a decision of my own. I think I know what I want by way of razor configuration, but my question is whether or not you ordered the wr2 stand and if anyone knows if it is required when purchasing a razor? I will probably opt for it either way, but I'd appreciate knowing if it is mandatory. (I do see an asterisk by it on the general order form.)

I didn't buy a stand. I'm hoping that one of the stands that I currently own will fit it.

The only WM OC I have tried is in the WR1 so I cannot provide an informed opinion. As you have read every thread you can see most prefer the SB on the WR2. I have the WR2 1.25 SS SB and find it very efficient and smooth. And you can put it on auto pilot. Before I ordered I also preferred having an OC option as I had the DC plate on my timeless razors but upon advice from some very learned members I went SB only. You can always order the 1.25 with one side OC and the other SB. I usually used the OC on the first pass then the SB on the subsequent passes. After using the 1.25 SB I no longer felt the need for the OC but I do understand your want. I do encourage opting in for the stand. Looks great together while being functional. Congrats!

The day has finally arrived and I got the email from Wolfman Razors! I've spent all day (literally) reading the threads trying to educate myself and they have been of great help. I decided to go with the WR2 1.25, with the Darwin handle, but I'm undecided on the solid guard bar or open comb. A lot of the articles do not state if they are referring to an OC or SB. So I assume they are referring to the SB. I tend to prefer open combs, but I hold no bias towards the SB. I can handle the usual suspect when it comes to aggressive razors like the R41, Blackbird OC, Timeless .095 OC, GC .084 OC, Gillette 1934, etc. I know as usual YMMV, but I was hoping your input can help me make an informed decision. I have read there is no real difference between the SB or OC. I was wondering if that is true. Like most, I enjoy a smooth shaving razor. Thanks in advance for your input!
Congratulations!

The stand is optional.

I purchased one and enjoy viewing my WR1 in its stand, but it’s purely for aesthetics. :a29:

I like the Timeless SS .95 open comb and was determined to try the WR2 in OC. I did not get along with it and bought a higher gapped SB which I am enjoying very much.

I like the Timeless SS .95 open comb and was determined to try the WR2 in OC. I did not get along with it and bought a higher gapped SB which I am enjoying very much.
Wow! I find your insight eye opening. I also enjoy the Timeless SS 0.95 open comb. I was hoping that the Wolfman WR2 1.25 OC would be a little more efficient than the Timeless, but just as smooth. Now I'm scratching my head, thinking that I might have to jump up to a higher gap SB.

Like kingfisher says James will make a dual comb. You'll probably always wonder what a Wolfman OC will be like until you try one. I had a dual comb but immediately realized I preferred the SB side. I would have easily kept it and been content with it, but my dislike of my hollow handle choice pushed me over the edge to seek a change. The great thing about these razors is that they're easy to move if you don't like it. The bad thing is waiting seven months to try again.

Top Bottom