What's new

Looking for an affordable backup razor

I'm going to be sending in my two vintage Gillette Slim adjustables to be cleaned at Razor Emporium. It's not worth it to send them in one at a time because it makes more sense to pay for them both at once. The problem is that will leave me with no razor. So I need something in the meantime and I figured why not get the Razorock Switch so that I can play with a shavette-style razor to sort of start to get a feel for the technique of a straight razor. And it's affordable. My question is how aggressive is the Switch in comparison to my Slim? What number would it correspond to? I currently shave on #1 and finish on #2. Will I find the Switch too different?

I haven’t used RE but there are some strong opinions about them around here (I’m sure a quick search could bring up some of the threads)

The Gillette Tech is a great DE razor and you can grab them for $10 or so on eBay in great shape.

A cheap Tech is a great backup!

Also I anticipate someone sharing strong opinions on Razor Emporium in 3...2...1...

I have been cut off, ha ha.

If I was out of razors, impossible in my case, I’d run over to Marshals and pick up something on the cheap. They sometimes have R89s and in the very least, usually Tech and Bevel clones.

If I was out of razors, impossible in my case, I’d run over to Marshals and pick up something on the cheap. They sometimes have R89s and in the very least, usually Tech and Bevel clones.
I understand I just was thinking long term to having something that would serve me well into the future. So I was thinking about some kind of shavette type thing and that's why I was curious about the Switch. People seem to like it, I was just curious.

I understand I just was thinking long term to having something that would serve me well into the future. So I was thinking about some kind of shavette type thing and that's why I was curious about the Switch. People seem to like it, I was just curious.

It does look pretty cool, you have to let us know how it shaves if you pick one up. I haven’t tried one but there are some posts about them here on B&B.

If you use the 'Bay, look up LORD TECH in the search engine and grab one of those puppies. Shipped from Montreal with a stash of blades and cheaper than going to the movies. A noice 'tech' clone that punches above it's price range. I think these are discontinued, so get one while you can. You can get a heavier handle E-Z as farting if you do not like the stock aluminium one.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What problem do people have with Razor Emporium?

Theres much to read around the forum. The 'search' function is your friend.

I'm not sure comparing a regular DE to any sort of shavette is a fair comparison. Al, @AimlessWanderer may be able to give some insight in that regard.

Personally, I'd use a Fatip Piccolo. $20 and solid brass. You may even find you prefer it over your Slims. I have two Slims myself and they only very rarely get used. My #1 DE is a Fatip Grande. If you prefer a handle the size of the Slim, you would prefer the Grande over the Piccolo.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What number would it correspond to? I currently shave on #1 and finish on #2.

I should have read your OP closer.

Shaving with a Slim on #1 and #2, you wont like a Fatip. They are very blade forward and extremely efficient. A Fatip OC would be a far better comparison to a shavette than a Slim, on any setting.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm not sure comparing a regular DE to any sort of shavette is a fair comparison. Al, @AimlessWanderer may be able to give some insight in that regard.

My grain growth predominantly runs from my left ear to my right ear beneath the jaw. With a DE I can shave horizontally there FAR easier than with an inline handled razor (straight/shavette)

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.
I got the Switch. I really like the idea of trying something like that out. Plus, it does double duty so even if it's ineffective as a shavette type razor it'll still be a decent safety razor. I like razors that are light which it seems to be and Sharpologist had great things to say about it. I tend to agree with him.

Thank you!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A GEM Bullet Tip would equate to a Slim on steroids, set on 7 or 9.

IMG_1739.jpg IMG_1740.jpg IMG_1741.jpg

I find mine as smooth as my Slim but quite a lot more efficient. SE's shave with a lot more authority than DE's.

The GEM MMOC, is its bigger, badder brother.

IMG_2295.jpg IMG_2296.jpg IMG_2298.jpg IMG_2731.jpg

Both, once learned, are simply fantastic razors capable of giving me far nicer shaves than any DE I either own or have used. The Bullet Tip, in my opinion, is a highly underrated razor. The MMOC can be a handful...

Top Bottom