What's new

What Did You Learn From Your SR Shave Today?

Raymondmillbrae

Totally bogus
I’m still pretty new. (Going on my 20th SR shave).

A sharp blade gives a nicer shave when you do not press so hard.

You gotta let the blade do the work. And rely on multiple passes.

Im noticing that my face is less sensitive to witch hazel and aftershave splashes when I do so.

Like the saying goes, “Shave the lather, not the whisker”.

My preferred finishing stone is more closely related to bevel angle than I previously realized. I learned low bevel angle razors feel much better with smoother feeling finishing stones. Preliminary results indicate that if a razor is less than 16 degrees, a coticule edge feels better, 16-17 degrees my jnat edge feels better and, over 17 degrees diamond edges feel better. Ultimately these feel similar in terms of sharpness and smoothness.

My preferred finishing stone is more closely related to bevel angle than I previously realized. I learned low bevel angle razors feel much better with smoother feeling finishing stones. Preliminary results indicate that if a razor is less than 16 degrees, a coticule edge feels better, 16-17 degrees my jnat edge feels better and, over 17 degrees diamond edges feel better. Ultimately these feel similar in terms of sharpness and smoothness.
Previously I just chalked these differences up to steel, until I took a closer look at my book of edges and how they felt to me and noticed this trend.

I find that to be quite an interesting thought. I would not have expected that and don't know if I could come up with a reason for it. But that does not make it untrue.
I was surprised too, but it was very consistent across my 20 some odd shavers. I always use to start with a Jnat edge and if it lacked sharpness I would move up to diamond pasted balsa, and if it seemed a bit harsh I would go to water only coticule. Most razors shaved very nicely with the jnat edge. I just never noticed bevel angle seemed to be the main determinate in harshness of face feel.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I was surprised too, but it was very consistent across my 20 some odd shavers. I always use to start with a Jnat edge and if it lacked sharpness I would move up to diamond pasted balsa, and if it seemed a bit harsh I would go to water only coticule. Most razors shaved very nicely with the jnat edge. I just never noticed bevel angle seemed to be the main determinate in harshness of face feel.
Razor angle is known to be determinate in harshness. It's the different bevel/edge finishes and associated blade angles that intrigues me. Unfortunately I cannot experiment with this as I don't have different whetstones available.

Last edited:
1 pass ATG......then some ATG passes for cleanup is quite effective and comfortable.

can still string out the time giving the problem areas additional attention and detailing while remaining extremely comfortable.

thrown in some coffee sips and its golden.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
1 pass ATG......then some ATG passes for cleanup is quite effective and comfortable.

can still string out the time giving the problem areas additional attention and detailing while remaining extremely comfortable.

thrown in some coffee sips and its golden.

camo
Camo, you started well after me. You aren't meant to be that advanced yet.

Maybe I'm just a slow learner 🤔.

Camo, you started well after me. You aren't meant to be that advanced yet.

Maybe I'm just a slow learner 🤔.
not so much that......I experienced the same thing with SE use.

I decided this morning time is better spent going ATG and spending more time on my known problem areas.......

still leisurely with my coffee and with what feels like more time to focus on the jawlines!!!!

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
6/8” may well be the perfect SR size.
I thought the same. Most of my SR's are 6/8. I then got a 7/8 weighing in at 93g. I found it even more enjoyable to shave with. So much do that I ordered another 7 at USD 65 each to make yet another matching seven-day set - plus evening razor.

I promised myself, no more M7DS's after the fourth. I am then going to restricte myself to only rare mint condition exceptional SR's. That should curb this SRAD.

Top Bottom